British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
g13webb

Leicester Lions V Kings Lynn Stars Mon 07-05-2018: KO Cup 1st Leg

18 minutes ago, DWP said:

Love all these comments from those who may book one flight a year to Ibiza. Riders look at their and airline schedules. Riga to East Midlands was perfect for Robert, he probably booked it 10 days ago having seen it arriving in very good time to get to Leicester. Masters was racing in Manchester so naturally he booked a Manchester flight. Without Ryanair riders would not be able to ride Uk, Poland, Sweden and Denmark. No other airline flies to so many speedway cities. Ryanair (whether you like or dislike) are very efficient and major delays are very infrequent. If Ryanair didn’t fly to so many Polish cities, well I know where the riders would be living for those who have Polish teams and UK speedway would not be feasible. Unfortunately Robert chose a flight a 12.30 flight (10.30 UK time ) which got delayed - not for a couple hours but I believe 7 hours. I’m more surprised more riders don’t miss meetings due to flight delays. Someone suggested he missed flight on purpose as could take ferry to Stockholm from Riga for tonight’s Rospiggarna away meeting. Those who have spoken to Robert, know his mechanics dropped him at Riga airport and caught ferry.  Having paid for flight to EMidlands and then flight to Skanska Sweden today. He lost both those flight costs, points earnings and had to buy a flight from Riga to Skanska to catch up with his van. 

So get over it, he missed a meeting. C’est la vie ! 

I agree. And under normal circumstances Lambert did. the right thing. Not his fault the flight was cancelled just like my own flight to Italy today. We know hindsight is 20/20 vision but unfortunately that's not an available option to book at the time of making the reservation.

As for cost. Given that the flight was delayed as long as it was then he would be refunded the cost of both flights or been able to rebook - assuming all flights concerned were with same airline.

Not that I want to turn this speedway forum into a travel forum...So happy to move on and say the tie is still very much in the balance and it will be interesting to see how the Lions go at KL - think it will be close if Hans A and Kenneth B lead from the front and get suitable backup....

Edited by 1 valve

2 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

I agree. And under normal circumstances Lambert did. the right thing. Not his fault the flight was cancelled just like my own flight to Italy today. We know hindsight is 20/20 vision but unfortunately that's not available as an option available to book.

As for cost. Given that the flight was delayed as long as it was then he would be refunded the cost of both flights or been able to rebook - assuming all flights concerned were with same airline.

Not that I want to turn this speedway forum into a travel forum...Happy to move on and say the tie is still very much in the balance and it will be interesting to see how the Lions go at KL - think it will be close if Hans A and Kenneth B lead from the front and get suitable backup....

Yes could claim a bit for delayed flight. But who wants to fight Ryanair for 6 months to get £100 back. Today’s Ryanair flight from UK to Sweden, he would be classed as a no show, so no claim there. I think Riga to Skanska would be either SAS or Air Baltic.

56 minutes ago, ytsejam said:

That kind of blows any excuses for Lamberts absence, out of the water really!!! 

49 minutes ago, leander said:

Strange how Sam Masters was in the same meeting abroad and managed to get back for a lunchtime start start at Belle Vue.

Different airport so irrelevant. As somebody has said if Masters' flight was delayed seven hours he wouldn't have arrived on time either.

Not sure why some people have to stick the boot in and apportion blame when there is no need, especially those who support the club and claim to want the best for it.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, DWP said:

Yes could claim a bit for delayed flight. But who wants to fight Ryanair for 6 months to get £100 back. Today’s Ryanair flight from UK to Sweden, he would be classed as a no show, so no claim there. I think Riga to Skanska would be either SAS or Air Baltic.

As I said, don't want to turn this into a travel forum, but if the reason he did not make the UK to Sweden flight was because the inbound flight was delayed which made it pointless to come to the UK (as in missing his appointment/meeting at Leicester) in the first place then airlines will refund in full the flight from UK to Sweden or will put the value towards another flight - if it involves the same airline. This has happened to me on more times than I care to remember one way or another. The latest being yesterday and I received a mixture of refund and rebooked flights.  Yes it did involve Ryanair and took all of 30 minutes to sort out via their on line chat service.

Just a point though...If Lambert did actually come to the UK last night then no compensation would be available over and above the small "late flight" variety.

3 hours ago, g13webb said:

Sam Masters rode in the same meeting as Lambert  and he arrived back in plenty of time.    also  Wolves match at Belle Vue  started a 12 noon,   not 7-30pm. 

Yes true but he didn't know his flight would be cancelled.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Different airport so irrelevant. As somebody has said if Masters' flight was delayed seven hours he wouldn't have arrived on time either.

Not sure why some people have to stick the boot in and apportion blame when there is no need, especially those who support the club and claim to want the best for it.

lambert should have flown to m/cr to make sure he was in the country at least !! its only 2 hours to leicester from m/cr why cut it fine ??

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

lambert should have flown to m/cr to make sure he was in the country at least !! its only 2 hours to leicester from m/cr why cut it fine ??

His flight .... f**k it I can’t be bothered with this 

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

19 minutes ago, DWP said:

His flight .... f**k it I can’t be bothered with this 

Totally agree with you DWP and as for geoff58 what would you of said if Lambert had booked on to the Manchester flight with Masters  and THAT  one was the one delayed 7 hours but the East Midlands one departed on time without Lambert 

• Like 3

If Ryanair is having operational problems the flights to so called minor UK airports are the first to be sacrificed.

3 hours ago, Haza said:

Top post comedy gold at its best 

Pleased it made you laugh ............... and note that you don't disagree with any of it!

• Haha 1

Lambert wasn't going off to Majorca, he was going to work. And in that case you try and make flipping sure you're going to get there for start time. If it means getting out of bed earlier and flying to Manchester, and have the other options as back up, do it. Employers need staff who they can rely on, not Snowflakes who can't get out of bed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DWP said:

Love all these comments from those who may book one flight a year to Ibiza. Riders look at their and airline schedules. Riga to East Midlands was perfect for Robert, he probably booked it 10 days ago having seen it arriving in very good time to get to Leicester. Masters was racing in Manchester so naturally he booked a Manchester flight. Without Ryanair riders would not be able to ride Uk, Poland, Sweden and Denmark. No other airline flies to so many speedway cities. Ryanair (whether you like or dislike) are very efficient and major delays are very infrequent. If Ryanair didn’t fly to so many Polish cities, well I know where the riders would be living for those who have Polish teams and UK speedway would not be feasible. Unfortunately Robert chose a flight a 12.30 flight (10.30 UK time ) which got delayed - not for a couple hours but I believe 7 hours. I’m more surprised more riders don’t miss meetings due to flight delays. Someone suggested he missed flight on purpose as could take ferry to Stockholm from Riga for tonight’s Rospiggarna away meeting. Those who have spoken to Robert, know his mechanics dropped him at Riga airport and caught ferry.  Having paid for flight to EMidlands and then flight to Skanska Sweden today. He lost both those flight costs, points earnings and had to buy a flight from Riga to Skanska to catch up with his van. 

So get over it, he missed a meeting. C’est la vie ! 

Not surprised in the least you can`t accept criticism of the rider in this case. Riders are professional sportsmen and obliged to fulfill their commitments. It hasn`t taken me long at all to work out that the East midlands flight which was delayed(FR1665) is the return leg of the East Midlands flight to Riga(FR 1664) leaving at 07.20 arr 12.05- so in this day and age it`s very easy checking on flight departures- and in this case some 3 hours before his flight should have taken off. Therefore he should have known of the fact the plane was well late and should have switched to the Stansted flight(FR 2643) which left at 11.30 am- which was also a return 2nd leg of a Stansted to Riga (FR 2642) departing at 6.25am which he also could have easily checked whether the flight departed on time. Speedway riders of his caliber are earning fortunes so buying a ticket at the last moment would not be a problem. I am obviously assuming that the Stansted flight yesterday was not completely sold out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

Not surprised in the least you can`t accept criticism of the rider in this case. Riders are professional sportsmen and obliged to fulfill their commitments. It hasn`t taken me long at all to work out that the East midlands flight which was delayed(FR1665) is the return leg of the East Midlands flight to Riga(FR 1664) leaving at 07.20 arr 12.05- so in this day and age it`s very easy checking on flight departures- and in this case some 3 hours before his flight should have taken off. Therefore he should have known of the fact the plane was well late and should have switched to the Stansted flight(FR 2643) which left at 11.30 am- which was also a return 2nd leg of a Stansted to Riga (FR 2642) departing at 6.25am which he also could have easily checked whether the flight departed on time. Speedway riders of his caliber are earning fortunes so buying a ticket at the last moment would not be a problem. I am obviously assuming that the Stansted flight yesterday was not completely sold out.

Christ, good advice for next time I guess... 

1 hour ago, DizzAssStar said:

Pleased it made you laugh ............... and note that you don't disagree with any of it!

I disagree with most of it but what’s the point really can’t be arsed I’ve more important things in my life than argue with the likes of you .

Edited by Haza