British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
g13webb

Leicester Lions V Kings Lynn Stars Mon 07-05-2018: KO Cup 1st Leg

True, although it's probably best not to tar every situation with the same brush especially when the evidence is there for all to see online in this instance. People blaming the rider when it's clear that he had no control over the situation is just silly and doesn't help anybody.

• Like 2

Why was he the only one on that flight? Yes. 

Of the 22 riders he was the only one failed to arrive. 

Most of them would have flown on the Sunday night or very early the next morning. 

As a professional sportsman I don't think the window he gave himself was big enough imo. It's not his fault the flight was cancelled but he's not given himself a way out booking that flight. If the s==t hits the fan which it did, he's screwed. 

Didn't give himself a safety net. 

• Like 1

I think Lambert is the only one to blame. Flight delays ain't uncommon. Having a flight for midday of a meeting is cutting it fine. I have no doubt the reason for such a late flight back to the UK was due to extra time with his chick.

33 minutes ago, acef said:

Why was he the only one on that flight? Yes. 

Of the 22 riders he was the only one failed to arrive. 

Most of them would have flown on the Sunday night or very early the next morning. 

As a professional sportsman I don't think the window he gave himself was big enough imo. It's not his fault the flight was cancelled but he's not given himself a way out booking that flight. If the s==t hits the fan which it did, he's screwed. 

Didn't give himself a safety net. 

Sure he won't want to get caught out again .....

21 minutes ago, Trees said:

Sure he won't want to get caught out again .....

Lets hope so.....

I don't believe the flack Robert Lambert is getting his flight was cancelled which is unfortunate and it is different from all the other riders coming from Poland as his meeting was in Latvia.

Suppose these 22 riders had all booked the same flight bar Lambert - and their flight was a nightmare with cancellations and so on - and Lambert had made it back in time.

Everyone would have been singing his praises, yet none of the riders would have done anything different to what they did anyway.

3 hours ago, iainb said:

Speaking as a Coventry fan who lives about a mile away from the Leicester track and one who is trying to keep his enthusiasm for the "sport" alive after 40 years of continual knocks and  degrading of the "sport" I don't really care whether it was Lamberts or RyanAirs fault. I just find it a real struggle these days to motivate myself to pay £17 to watch abysmal racing on a dusty track with (all respect to Connor Mountain) junior zero pointers turning out in place of international "stars". 

You are spot on there. The more you live, the more you wise up!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Suppose these 22 riders had all booked the same flight bar Lambert - and their flight was a nightmare with cancellations and so on - and Lambert had made it back in time.

Everyone would have been singing his praises, yet none of the riders would have done anything different to what they did anyway.

Maybe the other 22 would have had a plan B?

3 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Maybe the other 22 would have had a plan B?

I would guess that they are all on pretty full-on schedules and at the mercy of airlines. This could probably happen to any rider at any moment.

As someone has said - Lambert was in Latvia not Poland so would be taking a different flight to others.

And landing at East Midlands. Can't imagine those flights are particularly frequent?

3 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

And landing at East Midlands. Can't imagine those flights are particularly frequent?

I've just tried to fnd one for next Sunday or Monday, and it's not easy. Most of them leave in the morning and have 2 stops - taking about 14 hours.

I then went to Ryan Air's site and tried to book one for next Sunday. There are none. The only option - when booking on Sunday - was on Monday at 12:30. This is the one that Lambert booked, and was delayed until 19.30.

Perhaps those complaining would like to have a go and working out their own plan B. Do they, themselves, work out a plan B when booking a holiday flight?

Just have a look. He booked the first logical flight that was available.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Riga to East Midlands? 

That's got to be a busy route that. All the piss heads there lol

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

I think Lambert is the only one to blame. Flight delays ain't uncommon. Having a flight for midday of a meeting is cutting it fine. I have no doubt the reason for such a late flight back to the UK was due to extra time with his chick.

Go on then. What flight should he have booked?

To add my tuppence worth to the discussion - nearly all the Speedway riders I have known would try and get back as early as possible- sometimes getting a hotel room for a few hours sleep before driving on to the match. In my opinion he should have been on the 11.30am flight out of Riga to Stansted  which due to the time difference between Latvia and the UK gets in at 12.15pm.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 2