British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Fixed race nights... early indications!!!

On 5/7/2018 at 12:25 PM, ytsejam said:

I think people would be happy to spend £17 - £18 per meeting IF they got value for their hard earned cash. I'm sorry but £18 for FIFTEEN minutes of racing is not going to be called value for money 98% of the time. Hell, ratio that up to a Premiership football match and it even makes those ridiculously overpriced tickets seem value in comparison (£50 for 90 mins of action).

There is never 90 minutes of action in a football match. The average ball-in-play time is around 47-50 minutes.

• Like 2

On 07/05/2018 at 12:25 PM, ytsejam said:

I think people would be happy to spend £17 - £18 per meeting IF they got value for their hard earned cash. I'm sorry but £18 for FIFTEEN minutes of racing is not going to be called value for money 98% of the time. Hell, ratio that up to a Premiership football match and it even makes those ridiculously overpriced tickets seem value in comparison (£50 for 90 mins of action).

As has already been pointed out, the ball isn't in play for 90 mins. It's more around 50 mins. 

As for 'ridiculously' over priced.. I fail to see how something is 'ridiculously' overpriced if it is packing in the crowds. 

For speedway to prosper it needs to get coverage in the national press. Most people have either forgotten about it, or don't know that it exists.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

As has already been pointed out, the ball isn't in play for 90 mins. It's more around 50 mins. 

As for 'ridiculously' over priced.. I fail to see how something is 'ridiculously' overpriced if it is packing in the crowds. 

they are mugs simple :lol:

Football has less than half the people going today than it used to have in the 1950's  Most entertainments and sports are far less today than back then.

Tennis being the main exception. Maybe Formula One 

9 minutes ago, mickthemuppet said:

Football has less than half the people going today than it used to have in the 1950's  Most entertainments and sports are far less today than back then.

Tennis being the main exception. Maybe Formula One 

Absolute nonsense. The reason for smaller crowds in football today is pure and simply down to health and safety. The requirement is to have all seater stadiums. That's the reason, nothing else.

17 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Absolute nonsense. The reason for smaller crowds in football today is pure and simply down to health and safety. The requirement is to have all seater stadiums. That's the reason, nothing else.

Not that simple, only the top few teams sell out each week, it's more to do with how much football is on tv

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

The reason for lower crowds at Swindon is that they are crap nothing else!

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, cityrebel said:

For speedway to prosper it needs to get coverage in the national press. Most people have either forgotten about it, or don't know that it exists.

With Woffy back in the GB fold and an article in the Daily Star today, maybe more national coverage may follow?!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

I think you might be getting confused with ground capacity with crowd attendances at matches 

For example -My closest league club Colchester United In 1948 in the Southern League Average attendance 9,300

This season average gate this season around 3.200. This is in a ground with an overall capacity of over 10,000

Nothing at all to do with health and safety

Are tracks still going to run on tv Mondays, in other words in opposition to the televised meetings?

Doesn't make much sense if they do!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Are tracks still going to run on tv Mondays, in other words in opposition to the televised meetings?

Doesn't make much sense if they do!

Pointed this out as a conflict when fixed nights were proposed, if the tv meeting is good and the opposition at your local track or weather is iffy, how many will stay at home and watch tv meeting.

2 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

Not that simple, only the top few teams sell out each week, it's more to do with how much football is on tv

Very true...and also the costs too for some people.

37 minutes ago, ytsejam said:

Very true...and also the costs too for some people.

We also have to remember that the attendances given out by all the  league clubs are not correct as they are all lower than what are printed 

1 hour ago, A ORLOV said:

if the tv meeting is good and the opposition at your local track or weather is iffy, how many will stay at home and watch tv meeting.

Me for one!