British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Fixed race nights... early indications!!!

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Another awful weekday crowd at rye last night. Saturdays were so much better attendance wise.

awful crowd for the TV match at BV... and I couldn't believe how few people were at Peterborough on Sunday on what was a gloriously sunny afternoon!

15 minutes ago, iainb said:

I doubt there are enough riders riding in the UK to sustain 1 league!

They all seem to want to ride anywhere but UK.Tells you something IMO .

• Like 1

I always felt with speedway attendances, that we were one season away from disaster. It seems to me, that time has arrived.

• Like 2

Obviously we will have another rethink next year on race nights we were lucky at poole we kept ours . But it looks grim at other tracks so who knows 

Edited by ray c

2 hours ago, ray c said:

Obviously we will have another rethink next year on race nights we were lucky at poole we kept ours . But it looks grim at other tracks so who knows 

If attendance down so much then it perhaps a rethink this year. Once you loose a crowd they may not return.

6 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

If attendance down so much then it perhaps a rethink this year. Once you loose a crowd they may not return.

Well if last nights number at BV is continued there they will have trouble for  the rest of the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A ORLOV said:

Well if last nights number at BV is continued there they will have trouble for  the rest of the season.

I think the crowds will generally be better than yesterday. Last night was particularly poor because of being on TV and I suspect that the Manchester City parade in the city centre may have had an effect. The poor weather at the start of the season has also not helped but there is no getting away from the fact that Monday nights have had a detrimental affect on crowd numbers. Last year we averaged 1500 but apart from the the recent bank holiday, have not got close to that figure for the team events.

The management are maintaining a relatively high level of publicity on social media but racing on a Friday was a much better option for attracting fans.

53 minutes ago, Fred Flange said:

As has been pointed out, the number of missing riders has reduced, sadly it seems as though those moaning about missing riders (and there were loads on here) have just found something else to moan about and still not bother to attend.

In the meantime the predicted downturn in attendances due to the forcing tracks to run on a Monday seems to be even worse than I expected!

It should have been (at best) a win/lose but so far at least it has been an unmitigated disaster.

I think Stars fans have a right to moan. We have no idea where we stand with our 4 Danish rider's knowing Denmark take priority. It could be very damaging to our season

Have we finally put FRN " to bed " they will not help the sport in this country , just "KILL" it  off more quickly IMO more weekend meetings would be the answer but we have the GP circus to thank for that not happening !

• Like 1

The sport has survived in this country without fixed race nights since 1928. The top riders will never return, because the clubs finances won't allow it. Speedway might have to suffer the doubling up dilemma, rather than tracks going bust.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FAST GATER said:

Have we finally put FRN " to bed " they will not help the sport in this country , just "KILL" it  off more quickly IMO more weekend meetings would be the answer but we have the GP circus to thank for that not happening !

Pleased to see someone agrees with what I've always contended, that the main cause of the decline in British speedway is Ole Olsen's Flying Circus

Sadly, the damage is far beyond repair

Too many (failed) sticking plasters have been applied over recent years

The return of Friday and Saturday night tracks is essential, and an end to the pandering to the SGP and Poland

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Pleased to see someone agrees with what I've always contended, that the main cause of the decline in British speedway is Ole Olsen's Flying Circus

Sadly, the damage is far beyond repair

Too many (failed) sticking plasters have been applied over recent years

The return of Friday and Saturday night tracks is essential, and an end to the pandering to the SGP and Poland

I would say that it is the actual "sticking plasters" that have caused the decline more than the Grand Prix.

A failure to address fixed race nights - and then, when doing it, doing it against Denmark on a Wednesday. A Thursday, as well as being Britain's protected night, is much more likely to attract people as it is a night when people start thinking of maybe going out again as the weekend approaches.

Low points limits. Constant rule changes. Tactical rides. Team full of guests due to clashing race nights. Constant rain offs. Old fashioned presentation. All these probbly had much more of an effect that the Grand Prix, which, if anything, should have attracted interest.

Yes, Friday and Saturday nights would attract more, but Swindon switched from Saturdays to Thursdays many years ago and did ok, but there is an effect there too. ButI don't see that as the main reason.

• Like 2

So, which teams aren't actually happy with fixed race nights? It seems crowds aren't good at Belle Vue and Rye House is reports are to be believed. Although we haven't had many meetings at home for one reason or another, Somerset's crowds appear to be good. It'll be interesting to see how that continues into the summer. I think it was a blessing in disguise moving away from Fridays and the dreaded M5 traffic personally.

Poole, Kings Lynn (albeit with the cock up of the missing Danish riders), Wolves and Swindon have all maintained their original race night so they can only gain by not having missing riders galore as per previous seasons. So that only leaves Leicester, who I'm not sure how they are faring with the switch?

12 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

FIVE of the top six riders from King's Lynn and Leicester missing tonight ... so perhaps it isn't working

Wednesday's were always going to be a problem, which is why Thursday's were originally agreed to. Then the Premiership allowed the Championship Clubs to pull their pants down. It sounds selfish, but a strong (structured at least) top league is what is needed for the sport to survive in the UK. Championship Clubs should have been made to work around this by either accepting riders would be missing on these nights, or switching to any of the other available nights.