British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Fixed race nights... early indications!!!

Soon the majority of Swindons home meetings will be run on a monday instead of a thursday so it will be interesting to see if the number attending reduce or not.

Edited by A ORLOV

4 minutes ago, Reliant Robin said:

Wednesday's were always going to be a problem, which is why Thursday's were originally agreed to. Then the Premiership allowed the Championship Clubs to pull their pants down. It sounds selfish, but a strong (structured at least) top league is what is needed for the sport to survive in the UK. Championship Clubs should have been made to work around this by either accepting riders would be missing on these nights, or switching to any of the other available nights.

They should change the voting rules i.e.

• A Premiership club vote is 2 points
  • A Championship club vote is 1 point
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Reliant Robin said:

Wednesday's were always going to be a problem, which is why Thursday's were originally agreed to. Then the Premiership allowed the Championship Clubs to pull their pants down. It sounds selfish, but a strong (structured at least) top league is what is needed for the sport to survive in the UK. Championship Clubs should have been made to work around this by either accepting riders would be missing on these nights, or switching to any of the other available nights.

Not sure that's true. Poole didn't want Thursdays.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Not sure that's true. Poole didn't want Thursdays.

Which part isn't true? Thursday's may not have been Poole's preference, but I am certain that Monday & Thursday was agreed as the fixed race nights for Premiership speedway. I'm led to believe Poole & one other were against this....for the other 6, this was their preference and was therefore what priority for these days was based upon with the other International Federations.

AT the FIM meeting of the international speedway leagues (Denmark, GB, Poland and Sweden) it was agreed that the UK would have Mondays and Thursdays. But, at the BSPA AGM, held at the same time, they changed to Mondays and Wednesdays despite the obvious clash with Denmark. 

7 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

AT the FIM meeting of the international speedway leagues (Denmark, GB, Poland and Sweden) it was agreed that the UK would have Mondays and Thursdays. But, at the BSPA AGM, held at the same time, they changed to Mondays and Wednesdays despite the obvious clash with Denmark. 

Does seem madness,knowing the clash that someone then goes out and builds a team with a majority of Danes!!!!

33 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Prior to that FIM meeting of International leagues, and prior to AGM, at a meeting of all Premiership Promoters, it was agreed that protection should be sought at the above mentioned FIM meeting for Premiership to run on Mondays & Thursdays.

We are where we are and hopefully things will work out for all Clubs. I will say, although it's early in the season, Swindon don't seem to a have been affected so far in terms of attendances and guests/RR. Hopefully that continues when they run on non-Bank Holiday Mondays later in the season

Edited by Reliant Robin

3 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

They should change the voting rules i.e.

• A Premiership club vote is 2 points
  • A Championship club vote is 1 point

I think you could create a complete split and breakaway league if that was proposed

Plus the vote to bring it in would be 1 for 1 so which turkey would vote for Christmas?

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Does seem madness,knowing the clash that someone then goes out and builds a team with a majority of Danes!!!!

I suspect the team was already built and changing it would have meant a far less competitive side.

I guess we will know how mad it was once the number of matches missed is determined. Robin Brundle has suggested that tonight will be Puk's final absence but time will tell.

So maybe two leagues are needed, each with identical team building rules.

A Thursdays - Saturdays league.

A Sundays - Wednesdays league.

Playoffs along same lines as the Pro14 Rugby Union.

4 hours ago, Big Al said:

So maybe two leagues are needed, each with identical team building rules.

A Thursdays - Saturdays league.

A Sundays - Wednesdays league.

Playoffs along same lines as the Pro14 Rugby Union.

Where are the rider's to come from on those days?

Friday - Sunday is Poland, GP's, SEC all qualifiers etc.

Wednesday's are Denmark. 

Monday - Thursday are the best days all round. 

10 hours ago, Najjer said:

So, which teams aren't actually happy with fixed race nights? It seems crowds aren't good at Belle Vue and Rye House is reports are to be believed. Although we haven't had many meetings at home for one reason or another, Somerset's crowds appear to be good. It'll be interesting to see how that continues into the summer. I think it was a blessing in disguise moving away from Fridays and the dreaded M5 traffic personally.

Poole, Kings Lynn (albeit with the cock up of the missing Danish riders), Wolves and Swindon have all maintained their original race night so they can only gain by not having missing riders galore as per previous seasons. So that only leaves Leicester, who I'm not sure how they are faring with the switch?

Somerset’s crowds looked down on last year to me based on the first 2 meetings. Not sure what  the crowd was like tonight ?

7 hours ago, Always a RACER said:

Somerset’s crowds looked down on last year to me based on the first 2 meetings. Not sure what  the crowd was like tonight ?

Probably the biggest of the 3 meetings so far, but I thought all 3 crowds had been good so far.

4 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Probably the biggest of the 3 meetings so far, but I thought all 3 crowds had been good so far.

They'll need to watch it, though. More meeting like that, with people hanging around while tractors go round, and crowds will drop. People aren't going to pay money to be bored for 45 minutes. (I wasn't there, by the way, but basing this on comments on updates and on here).

Edited by Grachan