British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Fixed race nights... early indications!!!

47 minutes ago, Grachan said:

They'll need to watch it, though. More meeting like that, with people hanging around while tractors go round, and crowds will drop. People aren't going to pay money to be bored for 45 minutes. (I wasn't there, by the way, but basing this on comments on updates and on here).

2 meetings in a row now - even the most loyal die hards will of been fed up at that.

10 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Where are the rider's to come from on those days?

Friday - Sunday is Poland, GP's, SEC all qualifiers etc.

Wednesday's are Denmark. 

Monday - Thursday are the best days all round. 

Doubling up. In practice few if any would initially run on Sunday except probably Newcastle, nobody would do Tuesday, and if a club wanted to run on a Wednesday such as Poole they would avoid employing Danes or at least only have one or two. Saturdays & Sundays seems to be falling out of favour anyway except for NL clubs. So  it would probably over time become one Mondays&Wednesdays league, and one Thursdays&Fridays league. I think it would help the NL too.

On second thoughts though, playoff matches involving crossovers between the leagues wouldn't work, it would have to be the two league winners in a grand final although playoffs could be used to determine the two league winners.

It seems that long tractor heroics do relatively little anyway to improve the racing anywhere. So it must be about selling drinks and food. Driving people away to make a few extra quid now seems idiotic and short sighted. That seems to be the case at King's Lynn. Reducing crowd levels that way for almost no gain is pointless.

Decent crowds so far at The Abbey, doubt if a Monday cup match against Rye will pack them in though.

The majority of fans on this forum were calling for fixed race nights for the last 2 seasons.Now the powers that be give the fans fixed race nights a lot are saying they should never have bee brought in you can't win with some people

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Booey boy said:

The majority of fans on this forum were calling for fixed race nights for the last 2 seasons.Now the powers that be give the fans fixed race nights a lot are saying they should never have bee brought in you can't win with some people

Yes but we was fed a lie. Was told by riders they would come back if fixed race nights. But they Fed us a lie. 

And then the BSPA say only 1 rider over 8. So again fed a dud. 

It could work but not on the nights picked 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

Yes but we was fed a lie. Was told by riders they would come back if fixed race nights. But they Fed us a lie. 

Agreed they improved it then cocked it up with only 1 rider over 8 allowed and a last min change from thurs to wed. 

• Like 1

People say "give me good racing"

People say "give me a great racer"

Well Belle Vue have the best race track (perhaps bar Hackney and Peterborough) for years and Dan Bewley "the most exciting rider perhaps since Mark Loram or Kenny Carter" and apparently the crowds are well down.

What part of the above is hard to understand

SCRAP FIXED RACE NIGHTS

Edited by Rayleigh
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

People say "give me good racing"

People say "give me a great racer"

Well Belle Vue have the best race track (perhaps bar Hackney and Peterborough) for years and Dan Bewley "the most exciting rider perhaps since Mark Loram or Kenny Carter" and apparently the crowds are well down.

What part of the above is hard to understand

SCRAP FIXED RACE NIGHTS

Hackney !!! wouldn`t be anywhere in my list of good race tracks.

2 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

I still don't think they would come back not for what was being payed over here

Bring in fixed race night's Monday, Thursday & Friday.

Premiership takes rider priority over Championship fixtures.

Rider's racing in Polish Ekstraliga on Friday fixtures are granted a facility.

Monday - Wolverhampton 

Thursday - King's Lynn, Poole (Swindon)

Friday - Belle Vue, Somerset, Leicester (Rye House)

Questions remain over Rye House and Swindon's future. Other clubs may want to step up.

If neither come to tapes in 2019 it will be 1 big league, home and away twice, no cup matches. The fixed race night's can still come into play as weekend fixtures are getting less in the Championship. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Monday - Wolverhampton 

Questions remain over Rye House and Swindon's future. Other clubs may want to step up.

If neither come to tapes in 2019 it will be 1 big league, home and away twice, no cup matches. The fixed race night's can still come into play as weekend fixtures are getting less in the Championship. 

No 'facilities' for anything...

All that has ever done is create an opportunity to cut corners, fudge issues, deliver sharp practice, and always play the 'aah but this is Speedway' get out of jail card, that allows nonsense decisions to happen under an alleged concept of a professionally administrated sport..

Sod the rest of the World. .

Look after No1...

I don't seek permission off my competitors when I can open my business..

If I did they would want me to open from 11pm to 6am whilst they all opened 6am to 11pm...

Simply run whatever night gives you the best crowd. .

Publish a fixture list well in front of the rest of the European Leagues, (before the end of this season?), avoiding all 2019 FIM meetings....

And inform the riders of the fixtures before this season ends..

Tell the riders that when they sign up that they must ride in 100% of the meetings and any messing around, for example,  being injured over here whilst riding elsewhere, will see them with a 12 month ban..

If DU is a 'necessary evil' then no fixtures should ever take place that means any rider needs to be in two places at once....

Run seven man teams, six man teams, five man teams etc etc. (Delete as applicable), Just as long as enough riders of a similar ability level take to the track most heats in every meeting..

Run one league, two leagues, three leagues, four leagues etc etc (Delete as applicable). Just as long as the League itself has credibilty and integrity, therefore meaning there is some actual value in actually winning the damn thing..

And maybe even bring in a salary cap with punitive action if any team flouts it...

Charge max £15 for adults in the 'top league' and kids in for free..

Budget for 1200 punters (on your best night for Speedway surely possible?) meaning you take circa £14.4k after VAT on admission. Any programme profit, car park, bar take (if applicable) etc is extra, as is any sponsorship..

That £14.4k would deliver around £10k to pay riders for the home and away meeting if costs were around £4.4k..

'IF' the numbers add up then simply build your teams with riders willing to ride at least twice a week for this money, how many actual riders per team to be determined by your £5k a night budget not by "we have to have seven because......"

In short, run at whatever standard is affordable to deliver a realistic price point of admission, on nights you can attract your most income, and ensure what you put out in front of the fans has the credibility and integrity expected of a bona fide Sporting Championship..

Must be worth a try surely? 

For once....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

Monday - Wolverhampton 

What if the Championship clubs say no thanks to 1 big league - whether there is 5 6 7 or 8 left sort yourselves out.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

What if the Championship clubs say no thanks to 1 big league - whether there is 5 6 7 or 8 left sort yourselves out.....

Won't happen..

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mikebv said:

No 'facilities' for anything...

All that has ever done is create an oportunity to cut corners, fudge issues, deliver sharp practice, and always play the 'aah but this is Speedway' get out of jail card, that allows nonsense decisions to happen under an alleged concept of a professionally administrated sport..

Sod the rest of the World. .

Look after No1...

I don't seek permission off my competitors when I can open my business..

If I did they would want me to open from 11pm to 6am whilst they all opened 6am to 11pm...

Simply run whatever night gives you the best crowd. .

Publish a fixture list well in front of the rest of the European Leagues, (before the end of this season?), avoiding all 2019 FIM meetings....

And inform the riders of the fixtures before this season ends..

Tell the riders that when they sign up that they must ride in 100% of the meetings and any messing around, for example,  being injured over here whilst riding elsewhere, will see them with a 12 month ban..

If DU is a 'necessary evil' then no fixtures should ever take place that means any rider needs to be in two places at once....

Run seven man teams, six man teams, five man teams etc etc. (Delete as applicable), Just as long as enough riders of a similar ability level take to the track most heats in every meeting..

Run one league, two leagues, three leagues, four leagues etc etc (Delete as applicable). Just as long as the League itself has credibilty and integrity, therefore meaning there is some actual value in actually winning the damn thing..

And maybe even bring in a salary cap with punitive action if any team flouts it...

Charge max £15 for adults in the 'top league' and kids in for free..

Budget for 1200 punters (on your best night for Speedway surely possible?) meaning you take circa £14.4k after VAT on admission. Any programme profit, car park, bar take (if applicable) etc is extra, as is any sponsorship..

That £14.4k would deliver around £10k to pay riders for the home and away meeting if costs were around £4.4k..

'IF' the numbers add up then simply build your teams with riders willing to ride at least twice a week for this money, how many actual riders per team to be determined by your £5k a night budget not by "we have to have seven because......"

In short, run at whatever standard is affordable to deliver a realistic price point of admission, on nights you can attract your most income, and ensure what you put out in front of the fans has the credibility and integrity expected of a bona fide Sporting Championship..

Must be worth a try surely? 

For once....

Great post. Straight from "The Donald" playbook, Make British Speedway Great Again.

Time to think not only of us first, but only us.

• Like 1