British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Fixed race nights... early indications!!!

1 hour ago, stevebrum said:

Tai makes an interesting comment about Monday night speedway in the UK in this weeks SS.

”I’ve said it over and over and over again. Monday night is speedway night, everyone knows it’s on a Monday night. I know there’s different issues with different clubs but if you can’t race on a Monday, then don’t race in the Premiership.

Any clubs that want to race on a Monday, come to the Premiership. Make it professional. Sweden works, Poland works.” 

Sweden works??!!  Despite not having 5 weeks of invoices being paid!!

" Monday night is speedway night. Everyone knows its on a Monday night."  Well it might be in Wolverhampton and very occasionally at Poole but hardly anywhere else.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Tai has said a few years ago that Monday was ideal as it meant at that time he would race Sunday,  Monday and Tuesday in the three countries, and then have four days prep, training and rest time..

Ideal for the riders maybe...

Maybe not for fans though...?

EMIL Sayfutdinov told us in Hallstavik that he only rides on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. About 40 meetings and he is happy with that. Spends the rest of the week with his young family.

Monday is speedway night :rolleyes: that's obviously why only one PL team chose it when they had a free choice. Nothing interesting about those comments just his self interest because it happens to suit him and a disregard for the future of the sport in the UK.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Sweden works??!!  Despite not having 5 weeks of invoices being paid!!

" Monday night is speedway night. Everyone knows its on a Monday night."  Well it might be in Wolverhampton and very occasionally at Poole but hardly anywhere else.

He did add the not been paid caveat after that quote!

of course speedway is Monday night, it’s been the prominent night for TV which I’m assuming what he means.

and I’m sure that’s exactly what he meant.

So Somerset now allowed to ride on a night other than FRN.....

Erm..... rye house spring to mind 

• Like 1

I think the promoters at rye House ruffled some feathers at the old Boys club, so they were never going to get any favours.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

So Somerset now allowed to ride on a night other than FRN.....

Erm..... rye house spring to mind 

Only Friday, Saturday and Sunday left now for a 'full house'!:D

Wonder if they fancy treading on Poland's toes?:rolleyes:

I thought that when they said they were going to fixed nights it was so some big names could ride here...then they alter the 8 point rule which further limited big names riding here ..if some of the bigger names were here then I'd venture out to see them I think....but the promoters obviously don't want them and can't afford them so to me it's a weak league with few clubs and no interest to me....plus I still don't know when teams are riding..it's all a mess and heading for a bigger mess all the time...

I'll stick to T20 cricket now...most matches a pound  for my 13 year old some a fiver for me or £12 sometimes..big names and great entertainment..each year gets better than the previous one...I wish I could say that about speedway

13 hours ago, Trotter65 said:

I thought that when they said they were going to fixed nights it was so some big names could ride here...then they alter the 8 point rule which further limited big names riding here ..if some of the bigger names were here then I'd venture out to see them I think....but the promoters obviously don't want them and can't afford them so to me it's a weak league with few clubs and no interest to me....plus I still don't know when teams are riding..it's all a mess and heading for a bigger mess all the time...

I'll stick to T20 cricket now...most matches a pound  for my 13 year old some a fiver for me or £12 sometimes..big names and great entertainment..each year gets better than the previous one...I wish I could say that about speedway

I would be very surprised if we see GP riders in Britain for a long time and I am happy with that, if it means security for the clubs in the long run, as it is obvious it would be financial suicide to try and match the wages riders can attract in Sweden and Poland, along with their other demands. I could see a few fans being attracted back, but not near enough to meet the additional costs.

There has been a lot said about the 8 point rule and I don't know if this rule is the cause of this, but the league table, minus one team, is a lot closer than usual this season, which should, in turn, have created a more exciting finish to the season.

On 7/12/2018 at 5:26 PM, stevebrum said:

Tai makes an interesting comment about Monday night speedway in the UK in this weeks SS.

”I’ve said it over and over and over again. Monday night is speedway night, everyone knows it’s on a Monday night. I know there’s different issues with different clubs but if you can’t race on a Monday, then don’t race in the Premiership.

Any clubs that want to race on a Monday, come to the Premiership. Make it professional. Sweden works, Poland works.” 

The one major flaw in this argument, is that, in both Sweden and Poland, a speedway track is just that, a speedway track, owned by the club, or leased from their  local council, with the club being masters of their own destiny as far as usage of their stadium and track...

In the UK, speedway teams, are, with the odd exception such as Kings Lynn, and the now defunct Rye House, tenants at a greyhound stadium, so have to fit around greyhound racing and other commitments at the stadium, coming second or third in the pecking order for race nights...

Just a self serving comment from Tai. Only one PL team chose to race on a Monday so quite how that makes Monday speedway night shows what a ridiculous comment it was. Monday may be speedway on TV night but that is a different issue. Every team other than Wolverhampton simply fitted in by racing on a Monday when on TV.

We should never have agreed or accepted the FIM proposal that included Monday, by far the worst night for getting people out to entertainment events.

1 hour ago, jeffster said:

The one major flaw in this argument, is that, in both Sweden and Poland, a speedway track is just that, a speedway track, owned by the club, or leased from their  local council, with the club being masters of their own destiny as far as usage of their stadium and track...

In the UK, speedway teams, are, with the odd exception such as Kings Lynn, and the now defunct Rye House, tenants at a greyhound stadium, so have to fit around greyhound racing and other commitments at the stadium, coming second or third in the pecking order for race nights...

Agreed, it is a major flaw

1 hour ago, Aces51 said:

Just a self serving comment from Tai. Only one PL team chose to race on a Monday so quite how that makes Monday speedway night shows what a ridiculous comment it was. Monday may be speedway on TV night but that is a different issue. Every team other than Wolverhampton simply fitted in by racing on a Monday when on TV.

We should never have agreed or accepted the FIM proposal that included Monday, by far the worst night for getting people out to entertainment events.

However to SKY and BT Monday night IS speedway night.

1 hour ago, stevebrum said:

Agreed, it is a major flaw

However to SKY and BT Monday night IS speedway night.

Sky no longer show any speedway and as BT only normally televise one meeting. Monday may be their night for showing it but one meeting hardly makes it a TV night. Far more important for the survival of the sport is that clubs are able to run on whichever night is the best for them. The facts make clear that isn't Monday otherwise clubs would have been queuing up run on that night before FNR and nearly every club avoided it like the plague.