British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Fixed race nights... early indications!!!

10 hours ago, Najjer said:

So, which teams aren't actually happy with fixed race nights? It seems crowds aren't good at Belle Vue and Rye House is reports are to be believed. Although we haven't had many meetings at home for one reason or another, Somerset's crowds appear to be good. It'll be interesting to see how that continues into the summer. I think it was a blessing in disguise moving away from Fridays and the dreaded M5 traffic personally.

Poole, Kings Lynn (albeit with the cock up of the missing Danish riders), Wolves and Swindon have all maintained their original race night so they can only gain by not having missing riders galore as per previous seasons. So that only leaves Leicester, who I'm not sure how they are faring with the switch?

Somerset’s crowds looked down on last year to me based on the first 2 meetings. Not sure what  the crowd was like tonight ?

7 hours ago, Always a RACER said:

Somerset’s crowds looked down on last year to me based on the first 2 meetings. Not sure what  the crowd was like tonight ?

Probably the biggest of the 3 meetings so far, but I thought all 3 crowds had been good so far.

4 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Probably the biggest of the 3 meetings so far, but I thought all 3 crowds had been good so far.

They'll need to watch it, though. More meeting like that, with people hanging around while tractors go round, and crowds will drop. People aren't going to pay money to be bored for 45 minutes. (I wasn't there, by the way, but basing this on comments on updates and on here).

Edited by Grachan

47 minutes ago, Grachan said:

They'll need to watch it, though. More meeting like that, with people hanging around while tractors go round, and crowds will drop. People aren't going to pay money to be bored for 45 minutes. (I wasn't there, by the way, but basing this on comments on updates and on here).

2 meetings in a row now - even the most loyal die hards will of been fed up at that.

10 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Where are the rider's to come from on those days?

Friday - Sunday is Poland, GP's, SEC all qualifiers etc.

Wednesday's are Denmark. 

Monday - Thursday are the best days all round. 

Doubling up. In practice few if any would initially run on Sunday except probably Newcastle, nobody would do Tuesday, and if a club wanted to run on a Wednesday such as Poole they would avoid employing Danes or at least only have one or two. Saturdays & Sundays seems to be falling out of favour anyway except for NL clubs. So  it would probably over time become one Mondays&Wednesdays league, and one Thursdays&Fridays league. I think it would help the NL too.

On second thoughts though, playoff matches involving crossovers between the leagues wouldn't work, it would have to be the two league winners in a grand final although playoffs could be used to determine the two league winners.

It seems that long tractor heroics do relatively little anyway to improve the racing anywhere. So it must be about selling drinks and food. Driving people away to make a few extra quid now seems idiotic and short sighted. That seems to be the case at King's Lynn. Reducing crowd levels that way for almost no gain is pointless.