British Speedway Forum
Tsunami

Newcastle Diamonds V Ipswich Witches 6.30pm Sun 6th May.

The harshest thing about the new rule is the other rider who then has to go off 15m is at a disadvantage which harms his opportunity for income which is bit unfair - agree it’s the most frustrating thing when riders lay on the track and I can see why they’ve tried to address this but it’s penalising the wrong rider financially

Using the "new rule " for 1st/2nd bend incidents is a bit harsh though..

How many times do you see a rider fall and stay down after a tight corner..... lots of times the ref will put all 4 back, which is not always the right decesion but in the past it's generally been the case. Not many riders would jump off in a first corner when still have most of the race left and wouldn't know where team mate was?

When does the ref decide that it's a 5 1? Coming off bend 2? Going into 3? And surly as so little of the race has taken place the 3rd place rider wouldnt be that far out of contention?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

The harshest thing about the new rule is the other rider who then has to go off 15m is at a disadvantage which harms his opportunity for income which is bit unfair - agree it’s the most frustrating thing when riders lay on the track and I can see why they’ve tried to address this but it’s penalising the wrong rider financially

Thats something that might have to be sorted out 'in house',,, I can definitely see the new rule creating problems that weren't envisaged.

Good meeting from a racing point of view with the Diamonds grabbing a point when it looked unlikely. Poor night from Wethers and Doolan, and I would wonder whether he should give him any further guest bookings myself. Possible not the first choice anyway, given that Ipswich had a job getting a guest.

Interesting about the new rule which I agree with, and the race was stopped when the leading two Diamonds were leaving there forth bend, and Pickering a distance behind them. He never got past our riders in the rerun so why would people think he would have in the first race. I think it was just the right decision, but not by much, and I hear there might be a Supplementary reg  to be introduced because of this decision. Pickering was superb and unfortunately so predictable with his outside runs, it's just a pity that the home riders didn't try more blocking tactics earlier on cos I think everyone in the stadium knew what he was going to do and where he was going. Have him as a guest anytime and on a canny average. Didn't agree with the ref, and think he should have excluded Schlen when he blatantly pushed Tero off on the first bend. Nowt to do with first bend bunching.

As others have said, it was a good meeting to watch and makes you wonder how Ipswich are/were vulnerable at home ( excluding of course when we were there). It was only the reserves that let them down in this meeting, but Hume showed a liking to the track and worked hard especially in heat 2. Connor looked a bit reckless and clearly didn't take to the track the same as Hume. Top man was obviously Schlein with his usual inside runs, but special praise for Heeps who has never ridden our track with any distinction. He looked a man on the bike last night when previously he just looked a boy. Good to see and watch.

For the next meeting against Berwick on Sunday the 20th May, we will learn who the new septet are going to be with rumours of possibly two new signings. Very interesting, but I hope we are not going to sacrifice a performing rider for the sake of averages and hope the rider dropped is because of form.  George will always do what is best for Newcastle and the team.

Nasty crash in the second half when the Gems took on a Bob Hughes Welsh select team at NJL level. Dean Douglas was drafted in late to the Welsh team, because of Russell Barnett's engine problems, and in his second ride could not avoid the fallen Dale Pate and took a heavy tumble. Whisked off to hospital and has posted he is in hospital with a broken arm, a broken foot and possible ankle ligaments problems. Get well soon Dean, the friendly meeting was called off due to the then absence of the Ambulance.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Poor night from Wethers... I hope we are not going to sacrifice a performing rider for the sake of averages and hope the rider dropped is because of form.  George will always do what is best for Newcastle and the team.

I agree with all of this.

IGWT.

• Like 1

Something strange must happen to ipswich riders at Newcastle, as last year we also had built up a lead before letting it slip. 

16 hours ago, Terrace Grumbler said:

Excellent meeting tonight, we enjoyed ourselves no end.

Interesting trailer from Roy El Rantero (as I believe he is known when he does centregreen work for Madrid Toreadors) about a new "line-up" in a couple of weeks...more than one change in the offing, maybe?

Yes, but it's only a Challenge match, so theoretically we can track practically whoever we want as long as the opposition agree. 

People know how I feel about Lindgren, but, what a superb performance from him against, in my opinion, a better all round Team than ours. It was a wonderful display which begs the question - why oh why can't he produce that sort of form on a far more regular basis? If he did he would get no criticism from me.

As for the Meeting itself, I enjoyed it. An exciting Meeting with a reasonably fair result. Ipswich do look a good Team though.

Nice to meet up with Halifaxtiger and have a natter. Missed Tsunami though. There's always two weeks time, hopefully.

It is official heard it in Barrels pub last night off a m8 who was at Brough Park lol

Like the new ruling re riders who deliberately stay down to get race stopped when team mate in 3rd.its not harsh at all his mate gets penalised for this.imo,and should not be amended in any shape or form

• Like 3

2 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

So is it Newcastle v Berwick TyneTweed Trophy on the 20th then? Nothing on either website?

Yes it is.

On 06/05/2018 at 10:02 PM, Terrace Grumbler said:

Excellent meeting tonight, we enjoyed ourselves no end.

Interesting trailer from Roy El Rantero (as I believe he is known when he does centregreen work for Madrid Toreadors) about a new "line-up" in a couple of weeks...more than one change in the offing, maybe?

Dunno if I was hearing things or if anyone else heard it too, but at one point I heard Roy say that there was two spaces open in the team... Hope Robbo doesn't go, and I'd feel bad if it were any of the other riders, especially this early in the season, but that's the harsh reality of sport

1 hour ago, Dandelion said:

Dunno if I was hearing things or if anyone else heard it too, but at one point I heard Roy say that there was two spaces open in the team... Hope Robbo doesn't go, and I'd feel bad if it were any of the other riders, especially this early in the season, but that's the harsh reality of sport

Dunno if its because we have nearly 8.5 to play with to replace Rose, so we'll probly struggle to fill that amount of points, so maybe looking to bring in 2 x 7 point riders,,, and so maybe  we have to axe a 5/6 pt man to do it ?

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

Dunno if its because we have nearly 8.5 to play with to replace Rose, so we'll probly struggle to fill that amount of points, so maybe looking to bring in 2 x 7 point riders,,, and so maybe  we have to axe a 5/6 pt man to do it ?

Unfair/harsh or not, there is an obvious candidate. 

I'm not sure for  how long we have a facility for Robbo.