British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BristolRebel

Rye House Rockets vs Somerset Rebels - Bank Holiday Monday

25 minutes ago, westhamboy66 said:

Was a decent meeting disappointing from the World Champion had he been at his best Somerset could well have won. Unavoidable delays due to crashes and unsatisfactory starts. What winds me up is the need for the riders to return to the pits after heat stopped for unsatisfactory start. Each time there seems to be a 30 second wait for the 2mins to go on then the two mins are used up so so a heat that’s restarted five times is a complete waste of time. Quite why we continue with afternoon meetings I have no idea dust is inevitable and so watering after every two heats adds so much time to a meeting. On the plus side a great performance from Scott Nicholls the best he has ridden for us but on the whole it really shows how weak we are even after a last heat five one Somerset go home with a point

Just look at the crowd size compared to the Wednesday meeting against Wolves and that's why bank holiday Monday at 3.00pm happens. Yes I get the dust but my club surviving overrules any inconvenience.

Tough meeting again with Nicholls rolling back the years, KK and much more lively Harris carrying us.

Kennett only confirmed my fear with his inclusion this season with a dire heat 14 and Max Clegg whom I am sure is a nice chap and I wish him well be is soo far out of depth please change it before it destroys him as a rider.

Good meeting which Rye just about deserved and Somerset deserved the point. From where we were standing it looked like Harris dropped it on Allen a bit and left him no where to go, not sure about the updates who reckoned Allen got some unexpected drive. Sounds like Jake is ok though which is good. Nicholls the stand out performer on both sides and fully deserved the paid max. All the Rye heat leaders were all twitching and mucking about at the gate when against Doyle which was a bit tiresome. Jason for his part didn’t make a start all night and looked down on power to me. Certainly didn’t think Scotty would get past him once he was infront. Wrighty was competitive in all his races and all the others had their moments but not enough to nudge ahead. Brad was the stand out man for the Rebels. Gary will be pleased with a point, but the Rebels need to up their game a touch to go the extra mile. My first sight of young Jeppersen and I thought he did very well, sharp out of the starts and good pace.

1 hour ago, Rayleigh said:

Kennett only confirmed my fear with his inclusion this season with a dire heat 14 and Max Clegg whom I am sure is a nice chap and I wish him well be is soo far out of depth please change it before it destroys him as a rider.

You can’t judge Kennett’s season by today’s performance as he had clearly been rushed back too early from his knee injury. Even in the parade he was clearly in some discomfort from it and I was worried then, his scoring bore that out. 

I’m 100% confident a fully fit Eddie would have contributed far more and given us a better winning margin.

Edited by SFTGNigel

Bumped into and had a quick word with the delightful Bert Harkins on leaving. One of my hero’s when I was a kid watching the Wembley Lions back in the 70’s. Hope you got home ok mate , you did look a bit hot and bothered ha.

1 hour ago, SFTGNigel said:

You can’t judge Kennett’s season by today’s performance as he had clearly been rushed back too early from his knee injury. Even in the parade he was clearly in some discomfort from it and I was worried then, his scoring bore that out. 

I’m 100% confident a fully fit Eddie would have contributed far more and given us a better winning margin.

Then perhaps he shouldn't have taken the guest booking for Ipswich last Friday

8 minutes ago, tocha said:

The difference between Kennetts 1st and 4th rides today was massive and the team is structured for a lot more than that from Eddie

Don't be fooled by a low score of 7 Harris put in a proper shift today, it looked like a bit of light questioning "rattled his cage" anyway give credit where credits due well done today Chris another week that would have bagged you double figures.

43 minutes ago, tocha said:

I agree, he didn’t perform well there either from what I’ve heard. 

He’s certainly not blameless for coming back too early, I just wouldn’t make a judgement on his value for the whole season because of it. 

5 hours ago, tocha said:

Unlike footballers, speedway riders aren’t  paid for sitting about doing nowt (Mezut Ozil out for the season with a “bad back” on a reported £300K a week in World Cup year). RR at home doesn’t work, especially with Max Clegg having a nightmare season, so it’s imperative that Kennett rides.  I’ve seen footage of heat 3 which was vintage Eddie. He probably felt the injury more as the meeting went on, but with the relative infrequency of Rockets meetings it’ll hopefully give him time to recover fully. 

Somerset fans seem happy with a point, but I’m pretty sure they were quietly confident of more.

Max Clegg continues to concern and must be in danger of losing his place in the team. I’ve seen most of the heats and he shows plenty of effort, but not scoring.  

• Like 1

Decent meeting. Delays unavoidable really so no criticism. Not like the old bank holiday meetings under Silver that limped on for 5 hours. Constant watering kept a bit of moisture in the track for the riders.

Rye are really just hanging on at the moment and hoping to scrape wins at home. The team is nowhere near strong enough and it must be obvious that changes are needed. Summers, Clegg and Robbo need to be moved out and the points used to restructure the side. Clegg is completely out of his depth, Summers is on way too high an average and will never hit it and you can't wait for Robson as team not strong enough. The 14/15 odd points these riders are taking up need to be used as soon as possible.

Nicholls excellent yesterday and kept Rye in it.

• Like 1

There still seems to be a few promotions,and Rye is one of them,that haven't cottoned on to the fact that you win the league by signing riders who are likely to increase their average. That's why Edinburgh have had such success over the last fifteen years.

• Like 1

That is the winning formula with at least two top riders . 

4 hours ago, poppetman said:

There still seems to be a few promotions,and Rye is one of them,that haven't cottoned on to the fact that you win the league by signing riders who are likely to increase their average. That's why Edinburgh have had such success over the last fifteen years.

Yes that’s what ALL promotions attempt to do but the unfortunate state of UK speedway, especially at the Premier level means that their are very few riders who are doing what you suggest.

15 hours ago, GWC said:

Yes that’s what ALL promotions attempt to do but the unfortunate state of UK speedway, especially at the Premier level means that their are very few riders who are doing what you suggest.

You obviously don't understand averages. You could have the worst crop of riders ever, but rider's averages will still go up and some will still go down. That's what averages are for. It's signing the ones who will go up that will win you the league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

You obviously don't understand averages. You could have the worst crop of riders ever, but rider's averages will still go up and some will still go down. That's what averages are for. It's signing the ones who will go up that will win you the league.

What you are alluding to is a theory it’s putting it into practise is the problem nowadays.