British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Characters of the sixties

I remember speedway in the  sixties as being full of "characters"-flamboyant personalities, guys who would put you into the fence as soon as look at you!!. Anybody in forumland recall this-I'm thinking of Jim Squibb, Bill Andrew, Clive Featherby (of course), Colin "Joe"Goody (I'll have another beer thank you!!) and many others. Any memories from other folks of this era-BTW-I think there should be created another category in forum ,called "Many Years gone By" as most of the current years go by posts are after my time-excuse me -the sun is starting to come up, so I have to get into my coffin quick!!

Lot's of Characters in the Seventies too BOBBATH.

As regards the 'Sixties' - Ivor Brown was quite a character as I recall.

Just before my time although I seem to recall going to the speedway once during the back end of the decade. 

!972 was my first year and the seventies were full of characters and we at Cowley had one of the champions...Garry "Cassius" Middleton skipper of 'The Rebels'.

• Like 1

We too had a real character at Sunderland - Jack Millen. Fondly remembered still by Sunderland Speedway Supporters.

He will never be forgotten by those of us who survive those days.

• Like 1

You are absolutely right white knight, I said the sixties because I left England in 1968 and sadly the seventies are a blank slate to me-however you are right Ivor Brown was indeed a great character-Ivan Mauger hated him -he is referred to in Ivan's book "Triple Crown Plus" although un-named it was Ivor he was talking about.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

You are absolutely right white knight, I said the sixties because I left England in 1968 and sadly the seventies are a blank slate to me-however you are right Ivor Brown was indeed a great character-Ivan Mauger hated him -he is referred to in s"Ivan's book "Triple Crown Plus although un-named it was Ivor he was talking about.

...my holiday reading in a couple of weeks when on holiday in the Cotswolds.

Interestingly, I have some Speedway Stars from the 60s, and one of them has an article bemoaning the lack of characters like the ones they used to have in the 50s.

Plus ca change....

• Like 2

" guys who would put you into the fence as soon as look at you!!" I think that category includes Briggo and Ove Fundin - and to their own partners too if they got in the way!

As for characters in general, Reg Luckhurst, the famous pop star, was a bit of a character and, of course, the character amongst characters, Split Waterman, was still around in the early 60s.

Characters noted for their hard-riding style also include Chris Blewett (particularly at Exeter) and Chris Julian.  Roy Trigg and Chris Julian exchanged blows following one of Chris's forceful rides at Exeter in 1968 and they were team mates at the time!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, norbold said:

" guys who would put you into the fence as soon as look at you!!" I think that category includes Briggo and Ove Fundin - and to their own partners too if they got in the way!

As for characters in general, Reg Luckhurst, the famous pop star, was a bit of a character and, of course, the character amongst characters, Split Waterman, was still around in the early 60s.

You beat me to it with Reg, and Ron Mountford was another who was known for racing against his team-mates!

Oh, and apologies if this is in the wrong thread (I was too lazy to make separate posts), but I too have "Cracked Eggs and Chicken Soup" on the way... :)

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Maybe the “characters” grow in greatness with the passing years as I do remember veterans at that time reminiscing about long retired riders with “they don’t make em like that anymore”. 

Some great names mentioned in this thread. I particularly like the first to be mentioned was Jim Squibb who would surely be among the top characters of any era. I remember him clashing with Ken Sharples of Belle Vue at Poole one night. They tangled on the second bend and both fell. Picking themselves up they immediately squared up and the punches started swinging. Usually people close by would try to separate them but this time there was a HUGE reluctance by track staff,pit staff, riders and mechanics to go anywhere near the pair! Can’t say I blame them. 

Eventually the pair calmed down so discretion did prove the better part of valour. 

Great thread. Thanks Bob. :)

• Like 1

Chris Pusey, Alan Cowland, Les Red  Ott , and Tony Clarke would be a few to mention.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Ken Sharples, Jim Airey, Ivan Mauger, Brian Brett.

• Like 2

Dave Gifford , Ross Gilbertson,Graeme Smith,Barney Kennett,Kelvin Mullarkey  all great servants to speedway and were all real characters.

• Like 2