British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Characters of the sixties

20 hours ago, The White Knight said:

He must have tied a bit more string to his Bike. ;):D

WK i can remember going to Eastbourne one afternoon ( hated there dam claxon!!) and seeing the Italian rider Nano Righetto ride. His bike god it looked like he had just picked it up from Steptoes junk yard what a heep.!!!

• Like 2

I know Sidney. You saw some wrecks of Bikes in those days. But they worked, that is always what amazed me.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The White Knight said:

I know Sidney. You saw some wrecks of Bikes in those days. But they worked, that is always what amazed me.

I think in those days WK when the riders went to the tapes most of them were on the same sort of aquipment a level playing field the skill element track craft then came into the equation.That is why IVAN was so special aquipment immaculate he ploughed money into his aquipment and got his rewards later on.

5 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I think in those days WK when the riders went to the tapes most of them were on the same sort of aquipment a level playing field the skill element track craft then came into the equation.That is why IVAN was so special aquipment immaculate he ploughed money into his aquipment and got his rewards later on.

I wonder how many World Championships Briggo would have won if he had paid the same attention to detail, and organised his equipment, in the way Ivan did?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

I wonder how many World Championships Briggo would have won if he had paid the same attention to detail, and organised his equipment, in the way Ivan did?

That might depend on whether Ove Fundin did the same!

• Like 1

HaHa - very true norbold - very true. :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The White Knight said:

15 hours ago, The White Knight said:

I dont know WK a great question   maybe i am wrong  but Briggs was pretty professional really fit as well physically.

stronger than most.Mauger was good really top class he  took the sport forward  but Briggs like you have said endless times was very unlucky and I believe he would  and should of won his fifth title in 72.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 3

Guest GiveusaB

Not many harder than Big Arthur Browning!?

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Jack Millen.

George Major?

4 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

2 hours ago, The White Knight said:

Jack Millen.

George Major?

Ivor Brown?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The White Knight said:

Jack Millen.

George Major?

I thought Jack was a pussycat WK ??  no  seriously apparently he was great with the young riders with his  advice and support and  i never knew he was great mates with the great Phil Crump.

Edited by Sidney the robin

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I thought Jack was a pussycat WK ??  no  seriously apparently he was great with the young riders with his  advice and support and  i never knew he was great mates with the great Phil Crump.

Yes, he was also great mates with Jim Wells.

Sorry, first time on Forum. Past "characters". I see "cass" Middleton has already been mentioned. Did he really bring Gerard Ullenbroch from behind the iron Curtain in the boot of his car???. How many  remember Roman Matousec and his mode of transport. Front wheel of his bike comes out, and the whole lot go on the back set. Stan Williams, clip his fag on the way out to his bike, and tuck the fag end under the roll of the top of his socks. 

Shouldda mentioned Bert Harkins-just started reading his book(great read)-wotta character of the sixties also. Here's another- Brian Brett -any memories, I always recall he was considered to be a cert to qualify from the British Final of 1964  to get to the World Final-and maybe even become British Champ-famous photo of him sitting on the track after his first ride when he fell. Got to the WF in 1965 and performed creditably-went from Swindon to Newcastle and then I think retired-anybody know why he quit so young?

• Like 1