British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Characters of the sixties

There was Olle Nygren who always had plenty to say for himself, the immaculate Ken McKinlay, who variously rode for both England and Scotland as well as  Great Britain, Les "Atom Bomb " McGillivray, and while talking about hard men we must not forget Clive Featherby whole apparently had an extra long footrest so he could have people off. His catchphrase was "Speedwáy is for men, not mice ".

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1

I should have thought of Les McGillivray-Hackney in 1964-hot favourites to win the Prov. league(although pipped at the post by Newcastle) had a series of match races- they involved Colin Pratt, Roy Trigg and Les-only thing is -I can't recall whether they rode against each other or stars from another track(anybody remember)??. Ivor Brown often used to be called on for things like this-he was always a popular draw-came to Newport for match races- e.g. against Alby Golden  several times-a great crowd pleaser and man they loved to hate.

Don't get me started about Clive Featherby, the guy who crashed into Dick Bradley and ended his career(I woz there folks)-if you go to you tube and enter Clive's name  you can see bits of an interview with him. I still maintain the Prov. league was the best one for entertainment. Wish we could go back to the sixties. BTW apparently if you can remember the sixties you weren't there-well I can remember them and other people tell me that apparently I was there!! My heroine of the time was Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane-google her-wotta gal-but sadly age has caught up with her (like the rest of us-present company excepted of course!!!!!)

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:38 PM, The White Knight said:

I wonder how many World Championships Briggo would have won if he had paid the same attention to detail, and organised his equipment, in the way Ivan did?

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:03 PM, norbold said:

That might depend on whether Ove Fundin did the same!

Didn't Fundin win the World Championship riding the Norwich track spare?

1 hour ago, Split said:

Didn't Fundin win the World Championship riding the Norwich track spare?

I asked Ove and his mechanic, Les Mullins, about this story once. They said that it was a good story and laughed!

• Like 1