British Speedway Forum
ellioth4

PLRC @ Poole - 09/05/2018

8 minutes ago, poppetman said:

Good idea to hold it on the South Coast. Nice central location. Belle Vue would have been so inconvenient to get to for most.

Was at Belle Vue last year, don't see why their riders should get home advantage every year

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

This is all a far cry from those heady days at Hyde road, when this meeting used to be one of the highlights of the season.

The field used to be stronger than a World Final . Obviously these days are long gone and we still seem to be locked in a downward spiral , but why is this meeting being held on the 9th of May ? Surely the top two in each team's averages at the end of September is what this meeting should be about . 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, poppetman said:

Good idea to hold it on the South Coast. Nice central location. Belle Vue would have been so inconvenient to get to for most.

Much as a good race track it is you carnt have every big meeting at Belle Vue only fair to share at least one event to another track.

• Like 1

There are not many of us here looks like it's.going to be a poor crowd with rain forecast as well poor bspa decision this one

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wolfie456 said:

Much as a good race track it is you carnt have every big meeting at Belle Vue only fair to share at least one event to another track.

For me....

The NSS should become 'Speedway's Wembley'...

Modern facilities which followers of other sports would expect should they attend a meeting, AND a fantastic race track on which to showcase Speedway racing at its very, very best..

All done approx 1 mile away from city centre Manchester (which is quite probably the Sporting Capital of Britain)...

The Sport desperately needs a 'hub', and with the office facilities there as well, making the NSS the administration centre would also make sense..

Very Central too with excellent motorway, rail and coach route links...

I personally don't attend every meeting there, and wouldn't attend all the 'big ones' so it doesn't really bother me either way, however the Sport needs a big profile boost and where better than gaining it at the home of the Belle Vue Aces (one of very few Speedway teams non followers can name) in a vibrant, major city renowned for Sporting success?

It won't happen of course as there will be plenty wanting their own little slice of the action, however tiny that action in reality is...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, ray c said:

There are not many of us here looks like it's.going to be a poor crowd with rain forecast as well poor bspa decision this one

That’s a surprise

I should think a few had other commitments that took priority whilst no doubt a few broke down on route.

Its worse than I thought they haven’t even got anyone there with a mobile yet that can do updates.

Edited by bigcatdiary

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

If he's as fast as he was on Monday he could be up there with the leaders.

Yes he looked very fast monday, good to see a British rider improving like he has. 

1 hour ago, Call me wolfie said:

Was at Belle Vue last year, don't see why their riders should get home advantage every year

It was at Belle Vue every year for decades. It was never a problem, it was brilliant.

It's HOME is Belle Vue. 

The new Belle Vue stadium and track offered a fantastic opportunity to build this event back up towards the level of prestige it once held.. that's been ruined. As usual!

• Like 3

My guess on Lambert is that once the BSPA allowed the Thursday CL clubs to get their own way they had to cut a deal with Denmark (who of course have priority on Wednesdays) in terms of British riders missing fixtures to ride over there. Which would have included Robert having to miss the PLRC tonight. One hopes he won't be made to miss any Lynn home meetings but if he does the law is on Denmark's side.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grachan said:

Denmark has priority on a Wednesday. It was agreed. Britain has priority on Monday and Thursday.

Begs the question why the event wasn't held on a Thursday then? More sub standard fixture planning.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

My guess on Lambert is that once the BSPA allowed the Thursday CL clubs to get their own way they had to cut a deal with Denmark (who of course have priority on Wednesdays) in terms of British riders missing fixtures to ride over there. Which would have included Robert having to miss the PLRC tonight. One hopes he won't be made to miss any Lynn home meetings but if he does the law is on Denmark's side.

Is it? I don't think there is any 'law' to stop any country running on whatever day they like. I think the 'priority' thing is because Lambert signed for all his overseas clubs before he signed for a UK club, he actually said that he doubted that he'd be riding here, before a contract was sorted for him.

7 minutes ago, foamfence said:

Is it? I don't think there is any 'law' to stop any country running on whatever day they like. I think the 'priority' thing is because Lambert signed for all his overseas clubs before he signed for a UK club, he actually said that he doubted that he'd be riding here, before a contract was sorted for him.

The word 'law' was used as a metaphor in my post. Whatever contracts were signed first, the fact is that the UK agreed with the rest of the speedway world that they would have priority on Mondays and Thursdays, not Wednesday's. And then went back on it.

As Najjer says why not hold this meeting on a Thursday anyway?

32 minutes ago, foamfence said:

It has nothing to do with that. Denmark gets priority on a Wednesday. It was made pretty clear when the talk was of Britain having Mondays and Thursdays.

Then they went back it and went with Wednesdays, and now we are seeing the effect of that.

• Like 1