British Speedway Forum
Blackadder

British Semi-final 1 Sheffield 10/05/2018 @ 19.30

53 minutes ago, Col said:

Indeed.  As the final is at the NSS, Bewley must be one of the favorites considering his form their this year, Kennett did better than I expected.  I wouldn't imagine Owlerton would be on his list of favorite tracks and he has been injured recently.

It isn't really one of Kennett's better tracks I suppose, but I do seem to remember him having a storming PLRC once, but then suffering engine failure in the semi final.  On paper I would have expected him to qualify from last night.  Probably the only surprise was Charles Wright struggling so badly. Obviously there was all the controversy with Craig Cook being in last night and not next week, he never looked convincing at all but just managed to build up enough points without being in danger. 

Best I've seen Kennett ride Sheffield last night, came out of the gate flying in his first heat and seemed to grow in confidence with each of his following rides, although he didn't get out fast enough in his last two heats.

As for Cookie, well think he had other things on his mind but he did the necessary in his third and fourth heats after a slow start to his evening. He really had to push for it in heat 16 though to get the better of Wilko, just pipping him on the line.

All in all it wasn't a bad meeting, apart from the surprisingly poor showing from Charles Wright (don't know what was happening there!). The young lad Bewley was the star of the show for me, nowt in his first heat then he showed what a talent he is in his next two rides. Garrity was really up for it, he was still fizzing at the presentation, could hardly tell a word he said when they gave him the mic!

Of course you want as many British lads in the top league as possible, but you can understand why promoters have gone for other alternatives ahead of Garrity and Auty. Garrity can't seem to do a full season without an injury somewhere along the line and Auty has been around for over ten years and averages under five in the top league mainly due to poor gating.

Both are good to watch and for me would add something to the Premiership but you can see why clubs might see other riders as more reliable options.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Of course you want as many British lads in the top league as possible, but you can understand why promoters have gone for other alternatives ahead of Garrity and Auty. Garrity can't seem to do a full season without an injury somewhere along the line and Auty has been around for over ten years and averages under five in the top league mainly due to poor gating.

Both are good to watch and for me would add something to the Premiership but you can see why clubs might see other riders as more reliable options.

Pretty much spot on with what you say.

I think people will find that Jason has not finished a season not injured for sometime.

He superb to watch and probably one the most exciting British riders out there, he takes chances and risks that other riders don't dare unfortunately he is then at high risk of getting injured and with leagues been decided via play offs at the end of the season I think that Jason is viewed as a bit of liability.

Maybe do what Kyle Howarth did a few seasons ago when move to Wolves and Sheffield and Kyle has made rapid improvements over those two seasons and taken his career to the next level, I believe that if Josh was to do the same he could also achieve what Kyle has achieved.

But unfortunately Josh seems to be happy to stay in the comfort zone and lets face it Rob Godfrey would have a heart attack if Josh said he wanted a move. 

Couldn't agree more Spin King about Garrity.

Followed him ever since his Colts days where he was part of a powerful NL spearhead with Howarth. He was always a risk taker, hasn't changed to this day. Don't know him personally but he strikes me as a volatile, confidence rider, is certainly on top of his game right now. Does he have a chance of making the rostrum at the NSS? Definitely imo.

Looking at the potential field for June 11, think we are in for one of the best British Finals racing wise in recent years. 

Edited by mikec

The British Final this year must be one of the most open finals in years it should be a cracker.Looking at the World team cup squad i would pick Tai, Lambert,Cook,Ellis,Bewley and looking at it we have a very promising set of riders to back Tai up.I have seen quite a bit of Ellis over the last few years and what huge  strides he has made what a mega mistake Poole made in letting him go they stuck with Newman yet let Ellis and Howarth go staggering really.Ellis last week at the Abbey fell twice when in commanding position's he was super quick and i predict he can be a solid 2nd heat leader within 3 years. Also with Adam as well he takes no prisoners tough as they come mixing it in the first bend great news for Swindon  for the future we could base the side around Nick /Adam for years to come.

On 12/05/2018 at 3:50 PM, Sidney the robin said:

The British Final this year must be one of the most open finals in years it should be a cracker.Looking at the World team cup squad i would pick Tai, Lambert,Cook,Ellis,Bewley and looking at it we have a very promising set of riders to back Tai up.

World team cup squad?

1 hour ago, waiheke1 said:

World team cup squad?

Does it matter?.... who would your pick ? for me i would give Bewley his head now in the pairs and the WTC funny thing is you have not even commented on the Sheffield semi .!!!

Edited by Sidney the robin

On 17/05/2018 at 1:18 AM, Sidney the robin said:

Does it matter?.... who would your pick ? for me i would give Bewley his head now in the pairs and the WTC funny thing is you have not even commented on the Sheffield semi .!!!

Fair point sid. Woffy cook Lambert would be my picks, Bewley next in line in case of injuries.

And fwiw id agree with your proposed wc squad, apart from harris's display in gp qualifiers would probably see him get a spot ahead of Ellis. If there is a wc next year id imagine s worrall would get in ahead of both.

2 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Fair point sid. Woffy cook Lambert would be my picks, Bewley next in line in case of injuries.

And fwiw id agree with your proposed wc squad, apart from harris's display in gp qualifiers would probably see him get a spot ahead of Ellis. If there is a wc next year id imagine s worrall would get in ahead of both.

It looks  a lot healthier for the future than it has for quite a while which is great.