British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

King's Lynn vs Leicester KO Cup 2nd leg 16-05-2018

5 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion about going or not going ( luckily we don't live in Russia or China and be told to go ). I looked at the updates and I am not blaming them, but if you read " from the gate" it very likely means no passing after the second bend. It's a whole package called sporting entertainment and I want  a crisp well run match with a full team and certainly without excessive grading and extensive delays ( as there were no on track holdups ). We can't do anything about  the weather other than dress appropriately for it. It is still not being run "for the fans" at KLS - but that is just my opinion ( which I am entitled to as are other to voce theirs that may be different).

There were a few hold ups without the grading.We had two breaking of the tapes,Howarth touching them then Proctor breaking them,then of course the usual Sarjeant breaking of the tapes.You had the injury to Newman when he took that nasty tumble.And the Piesczczek exclusion for the riding on the centre don't know why that took so long though but that was down to the ref.

We can all dream of well run meetings, but for most tracks it's just pie in the sky. Rye House started late on Monday, after numerous junior races before the advertsed start time. Every unessecary delay puts off a few more punters, that the sport can't afford to lose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tellboy said:

I must admit i don't realise the dead time as in between races i'm normally chatting with a group of friends i'm with.The night actually sometimes goes to fast for me as some of them i stand with i won't see from one meeting to the next.

I have to agree with this......I stand in the same place each meeting with the same group of folk but sometimes there are a couple more who join us and the night flies past because of the chat and banter. Texting updates makes a big difference too, you need a reasonable gap between races :D

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

I'd question the accuracy of that too as he also had a bit of a stab at the none attendees 

Really mate? Not sure I have but always happy to be proved wrong.

In fact I called out the KLSSC on Twitter over some of their comments after the Swindon meeting when it clashed with a big play-off game for the Linnets. I choose football over speedway so would be hypocritical of me to then criticise others for doing the same. At the end of the day, it's totally down to the individual whether they choose to attend or not.

For what it's worth I quite enjoyed last night's meeting. Wasn't a classic by any means but there were some good races and I'm really warming to this side. At the start of the season I didn't think we were in with a sniff of the play-offs but there are plenty of promising signs and more to come from Iversen, Palm Toft, Jorgensen and Andersen. Best thing for me is that it's a team of real triers, last night chasing hard for every point which after last season is a refreshing change.

What I would say is that I totally agree with IainB when he said some of the stuff on this thread has been hysterical. Not everything at Lynn is perfect but I don't think it's half as bad as being made out on here at times. I honestly do think they are making efforts to improve across all areas and things aren't always as black and white as some on here are making out.

I know, like and respect many of the Stars posters on here who are at different ends of the spectrum when it comes to Lynn. Sometimes I agree with them, sometimes I don't. You get positive posters who can see no wrong and negative ones who can see no right. I do find the constant slagging off of the club across here, Twitter and Facebook tiresome and that's with people's opinions that I actually agree with at times. There are ways and means of critcising and continually banging the same drum just means people eventually switch off to it.

Invariably for me, the truth lies on a scale somewhere in between depending on what the topic is. Taking yesterday's meeting into account:

Should the team news be out earlier? - IMHO yes but appreciate that there were things going on behind the scenes regarding the line-up. It should have been communicated better especially as it was common knowledge that riders would be missing. However, if they'd released that Cook was guesting and it was R/R for Palm Toft then it all changed, they'd get criticised for releasing the wrong info. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Should the meeting have been completed quicker? - Again yes but the break for track grading after heat 4 improved the racing in my mind. Track was quite slick early on but they pulled some of the material back down and racing improved straight away. It's also up to the referee to keep things moving. Also as I'm doing twitter updates, I find it hard enough already to tweet the result, any changes for the next heat and have some kind of social interaction with the people I go with as it is, so delays don't bother me. However I appreciate for some, they want to get it done and dusted as soon as possible.

Fundamentally all of us want the same but it's nigh on impossible for the club to please everyone all of the time.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Speedball said:

Fundamentally all of us want the same but it's nigh on impossible for th

But all they have to do is please 1,500 to 2,000 on  consistent basis as most of the requested "fixes" are inexpensive and simple to fix but for some reason they think in a different way. They seem to believe that if you are twittering away and posting on social media, suddenly 1,000s of newbies in the 18 - 30 arrange will pile in. That is what they dream of and that is just as deluded.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Speedball said:

Really mate? Not sure I have but always happy to be proved wrong.

In fact I called out the KLSSC on Twitter over some of their comments after the Swindon meeting when it clashed with a big play-off game for the Linnets. I choose football over speedway so would be hypocritical of me to then criticise others for doing the same. At the end of the day, it's totally down to the individual whether they choose to attend or not.

For what it's worth I quite enjoyed last night's meeting. Wasn't a classic by any means but there were some good races and I'm really warming to this side. At the start of the season I didn't think we were in with a sniff of the play-offs but there are plenty of promising signs and more to come from Iversen, Palm Toft, Jorgensen and Andersen. Best thing for me is that it's a team of real triers, last night chasing hard for every point which after last season is a refreshing change.

What I would say is that I totally agree with IainB when he said some of the stuff on this thread has been hysterical. Not everything at Lynn is perfect but I don't think it's half as bad as being made out on here at times. I honestly do think they are making efforts to improve across all areas and things aren't always as black and white as some on here are making out.

I know, like and respect many of the Stars posters on here who are at different ends of the spectrum when it comes to Lynn. Sometimes I agree with them, sometimes I don't. You get positive posters who can see no wrong and negative ones who can see no right. I do find the constant slagging off of the club across here, Twitter and Facebook tiresome and that's with people's opinions that I actually agree with at times. There are ways and means of critcising and continually banging the same drum just means people eventually switch off to it.

Invariably for me, the truth lies on a scale somewhere in between depending on what the topic is. Taking yesterday's meeting into account:

Should the team news be out earlier? - IMHO yes but appreciate that there were things going on behind the scenes regarding the line-up. It should have been communicated better especially as it was common knowledge that riders would be missing. However, if they'd released that Cook was guesting and it was R/R for Palm Toft then it all changed, they'd get criticised for releasing the wrong info. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Should the meeting have been completed quicker? - Again yes but the break for track grading after heat 4 improved the racing in my mind. Track was quite slick early on but they pulled some of the material back down and racing improved straight away. It's also up to the referee to keep things moving. Also as I'm doing twitter updates, I find it hard enough already to tweet the result, any changes for the next heat and have some kind of social interaction with the people I go with as it is, so delays don't bother me. However I appreciate for some, they want to get it done and dusted as soon as possible.

Fundamentally all of us want the same but it's nigh on impossible for the club to please everyone all of the time.

BRAVO THAT MAN!

• Like 1

It was 21.55 when i got in me car. Not sure it could have been much quicker. Second grade was very quick. The main issues were the two on the trot due to stars using r/r, couple of falls and a few tapes offences by the Leicester boys. All added up in the end, even though ref was fairly smart with two minutes. 

I would like a clock on centre green and riders having to be ready to start after 2 minutes and not still gardening for ages after. Sure some must have been longer.

Edited by kelvinht
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, kelvinht said:

It was 21.55 when i got in me car. Not sure it could have been much quicker. Second grade was very quick. The main issues were the two on the trot due to stars using r/r, couple of falls and a few tapes offences by the Leicester boys. All added up in the end, even though ref was fairly smart with two minutes. 

I would like a clock on centre green and riders having to be ready to start after 2 minutes and not still gardening for ages after. Sure some must have been longer.

20 heats done the night before at Leicester with 4 2 rides on the trot/track grades, 2 re-runs and an interval all done in 1 and 3/4 hours

On 18/05/2018 at 6:15 PM, iainb said:

20 heats done the night before at Leicester with 4 2 rides on the trot/track grades, 2 re-runs and an interval all done in 1 and 3/4 hours

And a big crash on turn 3, Inc airfence panel change Inc most clips!! 

The gaps between races give you time to chat, have a leak, get a burger or a pint. No probs for me.

Depends on the length of gap, frequency,  lack of communication, awful music, cold,  whether you want burger..etc. I'd rather have a good efficient meeting & then enjoy ...

• Like 2

Depends on what you want i guess. I'd rather a meeting take as long as it does, ends 9.45 ish within reason, than go race,race race and end at 9.15..I know you get to see the same amount of races, but for me its a night out.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

The gaps between races give you time to chat, have a leak, get a burger or a pint. No probs for me.

It worked for Joe Screen! :)

• Haha 1

When you look at the Polish meetings on Sunday afternoons  you understand the differences  between  their sharp  presentation and that of ours .    All their meetings are run like clock work.   You get the first four races run to a tight schedule,   While one race is being run the next is being got ready.    The 2mins means 2 mins  the riders don't do much gardening , like they do in the UK.     After 4 races there is a mini interval where the track is graded and punters go to the stalls for food or drinks.    Heat 5 and the cycle is repeated .     Crisp presentation that keeps everybody happy.

Why do we fine that so hard to do ????

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

Depends on what you want i guess. I'd rather a meeting take as long as it does, ends 9.45 ish within reason, than go race,race race and end at 9.15..I know you get to see the same amount of races, but for me its a night out.

It's great that it works for you and some others but it hasn't worked for the missing thousands who have drifted away ( likely never to return ). Crisp presentation is certainly one of the factors that the disillusioned have reacted to. The job of the BSPA is to find out all of those reasons and work on the simplest and cheapest to fix and get on with those first. It is this that they have failed to do. And this laid back "it takes as long as it takes" approach certainly doesn't seem to appeal to new fans.

• Like 3