British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

King's Lynn vs Leicester KO Cup 2nd leg 16-05-2018

35 minutes ago, g13webb said:

When you look at the Polish meetings on Sunday afternoons  you understand the differences  between  their sharp  presentation and that of ours .    All their meetings are run like clock work.   You get the first four races run to a tight schedule,   While one race is being run the next is being got ready.    The 2mins means 2 mins  the riders don't do much gardening , like they do in the UK.     After 4 races there is a mini interval where the track is graded and punters go to the stalls for food or drinks.    Heat 5 and the cycle is repeated .     Crisp presentation that keeps everybody happy.

Why do we fine that so hard to do ????

It can only be that the BSPA feel that that is not an important part of attracting or holding onto fans.  They seem to prefer Mexican style speedway with a long gap between races plus grading halts and an interval. Siesta style sunshine speedway!

Years ago, grading used to take place after every heat, main meeting was still done and dusted by 9pm'ish, second half by 9.45'ish. At Blackbird Rd, anyway.. What's changed? 

Nothing has changed apart from the advent of the Internet, when I was younger I stood with a great crowd and we had tons of banter and laughs, we never gave one iota of thought to the length of meetings, extra entertainment etc, we were there for a good night out Seems to me we all need to lighten up, laugh more, find some new friends and enjoy our nights :)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

Depends on what you want i guess. I'd rather a meeting take as long as it does, ends 9.45 ish within reason, than go race,race race and end at 9.15..I know you get to see the same amount of races, but for me its a night out.

Personally I go to Speedway to watch the racing and not hang about waiting while you talk to your mates :D. If they can get the Speedway done in 90 mins, which is beyond reasonable, there's still 45 mins for you to enjoy the rest of your night in the bar afterwards talking about the match... easy, every ones a winner

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trees said:

Nothing has changed apart from the advent of the Internet, when I was younger I stood with a great crowd and we had tons of banter and laughs, we never gave one iota of thought to the length of meetings, extra entertainment etc, we were there for a good night out Seems to me we all need to lighten up, laugh more, find some new friends and enjoy our nights :)

And racing on a Wednesday rather than Saturday night that is the main difference 

55 minutes ago, Trees said:

Years ago the whole concept  of going to speedway meeting was entirely different than it is today.   Firstly there were far more in attendance that created a better atmosphere,   The evening was usually 22 or more races.  that was pushed through with little or no breaks.     The riders were not in a hurry to leave and would often mingle with the fans in the bars.   This created much more belonging that the fans felt they had.

Yes,  the internet has made a tremendous difference to everyone's life and has to take some of the blame for falling attendances. But it would be wrong to proportion all of the falling numbers to that alone.    The promoters and the governing body have not helped the sport progress with their reluctance to put the sport first.   They don't address the problems on a united front.   Its as if everyclub  has their own agenda.    You say we all need to lighten up and laugh more,  I agree,  life has become far to serious these days.   When I'm standing in the freezing cold, waiting for the racing to start,  I can assure you I don't find anything to laugh at... 

Sweeping deficiencies under the carpet doesn't solve any problems, they need to be addressed, so more people will be able to laugh and  enjoy their speedway night out.   :t: 

• Thanks 2