British Speedway Forum

The very first  speedway race I ever saw had Cyril in at Ellesmere Port May  1972 against Berwick ( if my memory sevres me right replacing Ken Moss in the team  ) he was my first s/way hero and even though he was nearly at  the end of his career .I spent quite a bit of time talking to him and he had rubbed shoulders with all the greats  of the 60's  but was extremely modest about his own achievements yet I believe that he was a team rider through and through .

RIP Cyril and my condolences to his family .

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 1

Sad news RIP Cyril, was part of the fixtures & fittings at Somerton park in the sixties and I believe involved in getting It started  in the first place via mike Parker & Charles knott , but I maybe wrong. Cyril lived  around corner from us for a while in Newport , I was very young  but remember seeing his bike on back of a car outside his house  he was always approachable. More recently a regular spectator at Hayley stadium. Many good memories. Condolences to his family. 

Edited by longlivefrankie
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, longlivefrankie said:

Sad news RIP Cyril, was part of the fixtures & fittings at Somerton park in the sixties and I believe involved in getting It started  in the first place via mike Parker & Charles knott

Yes, I'm pretty sure Cyril identified Somerton Park as a potential Speedway venue, and recommended it when he was with Wolves. Good solid team man whose best period with the Wasps was probably when he partnered Toby Harrysson. RIP Cyril.

Rode in the first meeting I saw in 1968.

RIP Cyril.

RIP Cyril.  Bit surprised there was no minutes silence at Wolves yesterday

R.I.P. Cyril. +

Cyril was a very sociable chap. I had a few nice chats with him about his racing days on my visits to Newport, a real Gentleman. RIP Cyril.