British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Workington Championship - Friday 11th May

Peterborough have started the season well, I don't think one blip should get fans too worried. They were up against a few in form riders in Proctor and Dan Bewley, if an away reserve scores as BWD did then you just have too say it's one of them meetings. Peterborough have gone away and won so they don't have a bad side and am sure will be back on form for Sunday. 

How fit was Scott after having to withdraw from the meeting on Wednesday with a bad neck? 

Talk about over reactions !!  It's a hard league and all teams will have results like this. Look at Ipswich !

9 hours ago, Argos said:

With all the hype re Bickley, ie World Junior Championship ect ect What is the Workington fans views of his Performances so far this season   

the kids still learning. only just turned 16 @ the start of the season  we will give him all the time he needs to progress in the sport .we have a good other 6 team members who can carry him and help him on his way .

i remember neil collins @ wucky when he came  , pretty poor , last places were the norm . then one meeting away @ weymouth . it all cane together . the rest is history . we are not a hire and fire club who drop riders cos they cant compete . it we were , we would have binned the fecker sarje . but the rule say we couldnt .

kyle is doing alright and one day it will all come together . 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Did not see a result like that coming a big well done to the comets, as for kyle he is only 16 and as said a big step up to this level, but looking at most teams this year no one has any inexperienced 2 point reserves, kyle is up against riders with multi.years experience and a lot are on a 5 point average, I think by the middle of the year he will be scoring 3/4 points a meeting

Listening to the team manager speaking on local radio and hearing how this team had silenced the doubters .... Sorry Carl, they are shouting again!!

Not one Panther could get out of the start and to be honest not one looked fast enough when behind!

In 42 years it's difficult to remember a more convincing home hammering

Well done Workington, only team to turn up, bet you wish the 4's were here!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jenga said:

you missed out young ktle . he is part of the team after all ! but a great result , always expect the unexpected .

No I never missed out Kyle, 5 boys, Adam and r/r is 7 riders when I went to school !! Keep up Jenga :P

Fantastic result shows how a high scoring reserve can boost a team would think peterboro will be knocking on bwd,s door in a couple of weeks, unless the bosses were really ruthless !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Argos said:

With all the hype re Bickley, ie World Junior Championship ect ect What is the Workington fans views of his Performances so far this season   

No problem there; personally I've always regarded 16-year-old Kyle's 2018 spot as an extended training session to gain Championship experience and learn the circuits he doesn't visit with the Colts. It should all stand him in good stead for 2019 with Workington, I hope. Young, talented and local -- what's not to like?

The Comets management have consistently declared that winning or losing as a club is up to the other six and that Kyle (who only takes up two points in the team building anyway) is there to learn, so fair play to them for that. As captain, Proctor (and what a joy it is to see his current form) has already declared that a big part of his job is to help the less experienced riders.

Actually, all that would still apply even if you reversed the Alwalton scoreline -- if a team is built for strength in depth, as with Workington, and doesn't perform you don't start narrowing your eyes and taking sidelong looks at the British two-pointer. What are we, Poole?

• Like 6

11 hours ago, proud panther said:

Well done Comets, you were awesome. Panthers riders hang your heads in shame, GUTLESS.

Bit unfair to call them gutless. They don't choose not to win races. They only delivered what many suspected that they would at some point, not helped by a gaters paradise. It's ok saying that we warned them of track conditions and that they should have adapted but they were up against better quality all round and it's no good asking them to do a job that's beyond them.

• Like 2

I don't know what all the talk of Peterborough riders not getting out of the start is all about? From what I saw it was pretty even it's just that the Panthers riders was being passed as if they were stood still by a far superior Workington team

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, iainb said:

I don't know what all the talk of Peterborough riders not getting out of the start is all about? From what I saw it was pretty even it's just that the Panthers riders was being passed as if they were stood still by a far superior Workington team

How many times were Panther riders in front on turn 1? I can't remember too many.

You suggest then that Johnson visits Specsavers:

“Every one of their riders was making starts whereas we struggled from the word go. We can’t put our finger on why we were three bike lengths down going into the first corner – it’s not unheard of, but it’s unusual to see it in so many races."

Learning point for PB, dont prepare a super bare slick track when Worky are the visitors, thats like a home meeting for them.

Edit - just seen PB's fixture list. Get the track knee deep for Sunday, a bit of home track advantage can only be good.

Edited by MD
  • Like 1

We had it last week when the Bandits out gated us at DP - it happens, get over it and move on.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of speedway bike engines can explain why bike set ups can't be altered during the meeting if it is obvious you are struggling to get out of the gate, or is it more to do with the riders' mind set/attitude on the night. Probably a bit of both me thinks.

Anyway if we can bounce back I am sure the Panthers can, and it would be very boring if we could all correctly guess the outcome of meetings beforehand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taylorj said:

No I never missed out Kyle, 5 boys, Adam and r/r is 7 riders when I went to school !! Keep up Jenga :P

brain not in gear for that one . sorry .

did you go ?

3 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Fantastic result shows how a high scoring reserve can boost a team would think peterboro will be knocking on bwd,s door in a couple of weeks, unless the bosses were really ruthless !

We don't want him back he misses to many meetings and had we have wanted him we could have had him at the start of the season , great at reserve but put him in the top 5 and you would see the difference, but good luck to him where ever he lands up eventually.