British Speedway Forum
crazysue

Stoke v Cradley 12th May

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the Updates site? If so, could you please send me a private message which includes your mobile number.

Thanks

Still looking for a texter for this meeting, is anyone able to help please?

Thanks 

Track unfit for racing so abandoned after heat 10, absolute shambles of a club. I shall never put a foot in the place again. No speedway or Stoke speedway, no speedway every time

Just seen it says rain on the sgb site, I must have missed it then. I'm not going to rant it's not worth it I shall stay away

3 hours ago, bruno said:

Track unfit for racing so abandoned after heat 10, absolute shambles of a club. I shall never put a foot in the place again. No speedway or Stoke speedway, no speedway every time

Well, I did warn you that you would have an experience!

I don't know how Stoke manage it but they have the rare ability to turn anything into a shambles.

So 10 heats of rubbish racing and then you are shown the door.

And they wonder why they can't encourage people to turn up and watch.

Sorry it was a bad experience for you, Bruno...................................................but we did warn you!!!

I'm sure I was there, there was a bit of rain in the air but there's no way it was called off because of that. The track was rubbish from the start  some grading after heat 5 made it ok not brilliant but better . You did warn me Fubar ,that's about the 4th time I've suffered a shambles at Stoke. Good thing is it won't happen again. Even Will Pottinger is quoted as saying it was called off because of the rain. Can anyone who was there confirm it rained. I must be losing it

8 hours ago, Heathen1984 said:

It did rain but defo called off cause of unfit track!

Well, I look forward to seeing an apology on Stoke's website and an explanation of how they intend to compensate paying customers for taking their money and not providing what they had paid for i.e. genuine speedway racing on a track that was fit for purpose and something that could be described as entertainment rather than an ordeal.

And people say why is speedway on the decline. Even the staunchest Potters' fan would be hard pressed to argue that less than 10 minutes rubbish racing represents good value for £13 + parking + programme + travel expenses.

Good value? I think not.

The question should be when are the riders going to get their head out of their arses and see that the engines are so unforgiving that at the sign a unperfect track the meetings get called off, get in to conversation with top riders about a meeting that gets called of and their response is the worksble spot in modern engines is so small that anything other than a perfect track they become hard to ride, so as I said at the beginning where is the problem ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

The question should be when are the riders going to get their head out of their arses and see that the engines are so unforgiving that at the sign a unperfect track the meetings get called off, get in to conversation with top riders about a meeting that gets called of and their response is the worksble spot in modern engines is so small that anything other than a perfect track they become hard to ride, so as I said at the beginning where is the problem ?

Dean, that's a hell of sentence.......and question.

If I have got the gist of it though, I think you are saying that the modern engine, as set up, is only suitable for perfectly prepared tracks.

Therefore, if a track is less than perfectly prepared, riders need to adjust, or de-tune, their engines accordingly. Or, if possible, ride a little more carefully or not so fast.

So if the meeting was called off because of an 'unfit track' it is really down to the riders inability to negotiate said 'unfit track' and nothing to do with the home clubs preparation ?

A bit like comparing the Isle of Man TT races to the Moto GP then ?

Well Dean speaks from experience and to a limited extent you can retune a motor to give you more torque and less peak power but NL riders can't afoord to have an array of motors for different tracks

But if the material is spread thinly over a base surface rutted by double-decker banger action then you are probably going to bite the dust however little power you might have at your disposal.

Do riders have the problem of too much power at any other track apart from Stoke?

If Dean's argument is correct then you would think somewhere like Buxton would also see both experienced and inexperienced riders binning it in equal measure but I'm not sure you do.

Without doubt bangers and stock cars will ensure that preparation of a fit for purpose speedway racing surface is nigh impossible.

It’s not the set up of the engine it’s the engine itself , practibility and general control has been binned in pursuit of speed, it what the riders want and it understandable but the modern engine doesn’t like less than perfect tracks, Stoke was rough when I rode there in the 90s but the bikes managed it ok, the problem is the modern engine but unless it’s made the rules where a more manageable engine is mandatory then we will still get the same issues and I’m afaid convincing riders to change anything is impossible even if the sport benifited, at buxton I’ve seen riders who ride with the throttle wide open bin it because buxton takes more brains than horsepower and the stocks are no real difference to a sufface , Scunthorpe, Kings Lynn, Sheffield all have stocks and are fine, if you bump into Tony Atkin ask him if he like stoke or buxton rough or smooth ?

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

4 hours ago, woofers said:

Dean, that's a hell of sentence.......and question.

If I have got the gist of it though, I think you are saying that the modern engine, as set up, is only suitable for perfectly prepared tracks.

Therefore, if a track is less than perfectly prepared, riders need to adjust, or de-tune, their engines accordingly. Or, if possible, ride a little more carefully or not so fast.

So if the meeting was called off because of an 'unfit track' it is really down to the riders inability to negotiate said 'unfit track' and nothing to do with the home clubs preparation ?

A bit like comparing the Isle of Man TT races to the Moto GP then ?

It’s the engines itself, short stroke, light flywheels etc , it’s a very high revving rocket that has a very small margin for error, compare it to a long stoke which has loads more scope but less speed 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

If modern day bikes truly are faster then why aren't track records broken these days?

On average they must be slower over the 4 laps, maybe because they are harder to control??