British Speedway Forum
Rob B

Belle Vue v Swindon 14/5/18 BT Sport

4 hours ago, Rob B said:

£18 actually, no BT offer this year. Personally I think they should have given vouchers out though at last weeks BH meeting for £10 this week.

Apart from BH Monday, other Mondays crowds have been 400-500 down on last season, that’s a hell of a lot. The racing is still as good on excellent track with good facilities, decent team lineup similar to last few seasons, the main reason is change from Friday to Monday which could get worst with TV fixtures on Mondays starting now.

Hopefully school holidays will make a difference soon.

£18 standing £20/£23 grandstand seating !!

1 hour ago, geoff58 said:

No wonder why ticket sales aren't great. 

Should do a deal to pack the place out.....Not convince Aces fans to stay at home and watch it on the box.

1 hour ago, geoff58 said:

I think that is a bit of a cheek for a TV meeting, BV should be doing a deal. £10 standing £15 seating. You wont get crowds in by charging those prices for a TV meeting. Old saying, what you lose on the swings you will gain on the roundabouts, and the BT payment...

In 1960 when the Norwich Speedway were at The Firs, I cannot remember paying over 6/6d for a grandstand seat, in fact I believe it was even much less less than that. Now comparing that price on a historic calculator gives the result of £7.20. If the admission then was 5/6d, it would be £6.09 at today's prices. 

Now if the admission for speedway with that price today I am sure the crowds would increase.

When I started work in 1959 my take home pay was £2.14s.7d a week as an apprentice in the printing trade.Today that would be £60.46 that works out at today as £1.52 an hour for a 40 hour week.

It is the admission price that puts more people off, with no real stable team to support, for instance dear old Chris Harris (bless him a great guest and willing rider) must have guested for just about every team last year with him guseting for the home team one week and a couple of weeks later he was guesting for the opposion team -- just farcical.

Why don't we see more infield advertising boards like I have seen on TV in Sweden and Poland any income at all would help?

£10 a tickets is the way to go. If two adults aged 18 and over and two adults aged 17 could get in for only £40, the place would be rammed. 

Missed opportunity. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mike1944 said:

In 1960 when the Norwich Speedway were at The Firs, I cannot remember paying over 6/6d for a grandstand seat, in fact I believe it was even much less less than that. Now comparing that price on a historic calculator gives the result of £7.20. If the admission then was 5/6d, it would be £6.09 at today's prices. 

Now if the admission for speedway with that price today I am sure the crowds would increase.

When I started work in 1959 my take home pay was £2.14s.7d a week as an apprentice in the printing trade.Today that would be £60.46 that works out at today as £1.52 an hour for a 40 hour week.

It is the admission price that puts more people off, with no real stable team to support, for instance dear old Chris Harris (bless him a great guest and willing rider) must have guested for just about every team last year with him guseting for the home team one week and a couple of weeks later he was guesting for the opposion team -- just farcical.

Why don't we see more infield advertising boards like I have seen on TV in Sweden and Poland any income at all would help?

First off Mike. If clubs charged a tenner a throw weekly they would go out of business. Yr overheads alone, wouldnt cover the cost. secondly You have to attract the sponsors, they dont come to you, you go to them, and unfortunately, companies in this country do not have the money to throw around. Poland survive on sponsorship and there crowds are a dam site bigger than ours because its there National sport, here we are not even the second largest sport, so you have to cut your cloth.
I still think its a dam cheek that BV are charging that for a TV meeting,  you can get away with a deal for that, but NO, club could do it on a regular basis.

6 hours ago, Rob B said:

£18 actually, no BT offer this year. Personally I think they should have given vouchers out though at last weeks BH meeting for £10 this week.

Apart from BH Monday, other Mondays crowds have been 400-500 down on last season, that’s a hell of a lot. The racing is still as good on excellent track with good facilities, decent team lineup similar to last few seasons, the main reason is change from Friday to Monday which could get worst with TV fixtures on Mondays starting now.

Hopefully school holidays will make a difference soon.

A glaringly obvious opportunity missed Rob...

However, just one of the very many missed every single season with the BH crowds...

People say that no one knows about the Aces/Sport? Well the BH crowds show a good many do (and probably used to be regulars)...

They just didn't see/couldn't afford spending circa £20 each week to attend as value for money so got out of the habit of going..

900 paying around 20 notes will generate less than 2000 paying a tenner...

But 2000 paying a tenner would generate an infinitely better atmosphere which could only encourage some to come back again...

And sell more programmes and take more on the concessions...

And also sell the sport far more positively on the box to those curious enough to watch the Speedway on a quiet night for live Sport now the football seasons globally are coming to a close...

Rinse, repeat and fade...

Edit. Hang on, doing a ten pound special would reduce the season ticket holders value. I forgot that... 

Or 'Trying to run a business for six months after tying both hands behind your back' as selling season tickets to a couple of hundred people (at best) should be known..

Edited by mikebv

Now we can see the crowd, I'd say it's frighteningly small. How many do you think are actually present? 

1 minute ago, stewmac said:

Now we can see the crowd, I'd say it's frighteningly small. How many do you think are actually present? 

About 800 here. Poor

If the BSPA had any brain any televised meeting would be Tenner for Adults 2 quid Under 16s

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

About 800 here. Poor

That's very sad to read. 

any link for us across the pond?