British Speedway Forum
Rob B

Belle Vue v Swindon 14/5/18 BT Sport

Well I watched it on TV and found it a very enjoyable meeting, excellent track and good close riding especially heat 9. No, I am not a sit at home supporter but live a 4 hour drive from both Manchester and Swindon

• Like 3

Good meeting imo.  If every track was like Belle Vue and Somerset then the numbers attending would rise. If you want weekend speedway then fine, just accept that it would have to be at Semi-Pro, amateur level.

2 hours ago, ReadingRacer2017 said:

And the award for worst ever Swindon debut.........Jack Smith

Yet another rider to attack. Still having a go at a critically ill rider as well I notice. Beyond despicable. 

• Like 3

The NSS never fails to deliver.

As always ,  I thoroughly enjoyed the racing from the NSS.  it served up a wonderful example of what speedway should be.  Fast &  furious,  with lots of close exciting racing...    One has to feel sorry for Belle Vue losing Worrall so early in the season,   I am in no doubt he would make 8/10 pts most meetings,  so to win by 10 against the reining  champs  was impressive. 

Although it was to be expected, one has to be disappointed with the crowd.      Racing on a Monday,   Live on the tele,  and coinciding with the Man City  celebration,   was always going to be difficult to attract the fans.    My only hope is that when people see recording of this thrilling meeting it will stir them to go along to the NSS and see the sport served up there.   

Young Bewley sure gave Rosco a headache .  Should he be selected for  GB  in the forth coming World Pairs completion?      Personally I think it is too early..   If the competition was only at NSS, then probably be OK , but with the final in Poland,   I'd go with Woffy,  Cook and Lambert....

As good as Dan was last night I thought Tungate was BV best rider.He has only dropped three points in the last two meetings against two very good sides.

10 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

I’m sure he’ll lend you a bike so you can show him how it’s done 

Nice reply Spud!!! 

Take heat 9 away - then look at the standard of the rest of the meeting

It comes across on tv very much as a track for the fastest bikes as opposed to the best riders

Don't remember saying that about Hyde Road, or tracks like Blackbird Road or The Shay - entertainment almost guaranteed throughout the nights at those three, thanks to the riders, not the bikes

First 8 heats had 8 different winners.

54 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

It comes across on tv very much as a track for the fastest bikes as opposed to the best riders

Don't remember saying that about Hyde Road, or tracks like Blackbird Road or The Shay - entertainment almost guaranteed throughout the nights at those three, thanks to the riders, not the bikes

Can’t agree with you - I thought it was a good meeting that came across well on TV (apart from the sparse crowd).  It entertained me and that doesn’t always happen with tv matches nowadays.  What an incredible track the NSS is and what a level headed star young Bewley is!

1 hour ago, Midland Red said:

If most meetings were of that standard I for one wouldn't have walked away from the sport. I'm not in favour of super tuned bikes but last night didn't come across to me as a track simply for fast bikes. If you think Batchelor has more talent/trackcraft than Bewley for example I suggest you are rather biased.

Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Coventry_Bee said:

On tonight's showing I think he could. King isn't where he was 2 years ago, Nicholls wins or is last and just can't work the place out. Cook is struggling and he needed a strong start to the season to get his confidence up. 

Dan Bewley is great around everywhere at the moment, he is lucky he looks to be about 9 stone and on a speedway bike it really does matter. Be interesting to see if he bulks out as he gets older as missing the gate and riding round people is great, he needs to learn to mix it up on the first bend and that will come as he is so young but I worry being so lightweight he could struggle in that area of it. But.. Take nothing away from he is a special talent and doesn't look to have an ounce of arrogance that some half his talent carry. A joy to watch and they should give him the wild card for Cardiff tomorrow. 

Over the years many of the best riders have been very lightweight, and the great Peter Craven never had a problem ! Hopefully his feet are kept firmly planted on the ground as he has a fantastic opportunity to develop into an incredible rider.

Disappointed to here Pearson and Tatum constantly rabbit on as if he is unbeatable. A bit more maturity and common sense approach from them is more likely to be helpful to Bewley.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Fred Flange said:

To be fair there were only 13 or 14 races with any passing and only 3 or 4 of those had me out of my seat, so I can see where you are coming from.

With 8 different heat winners who exactly had the fastest bike? 

Sorry, 9 different heat winners.

Quite obviously, there was one fastest bike and they all had a go on it! 
Nothing at all to do with the track being THE best in the country!

• Like 1

Was an enjoyable meeting - you certainly can't keep a rider behind you very easily if they are faster.  Batchelor was making starts but didn't have the same pace.  Funny how the inside was king to start with then the outside and this reverted to the inside again near the end.  Have to admit Pearson's shouting is starting to grate, nothing wrong with KT though.

9 hours ago, solrac said:

Good meeting imo.  If every track was like Belle Vue and Somerset then the numbers attending would rise. If you want weekend speedway then fine, just accept that it would have to be at Semi-Pro, amateur level.

Get what you're saying but not exactly a true statement as Belle Vue or Somerset are never packed out on a regular meeting.