British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

British speedway: it's not all bad, you know!

58 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Bearing in mind that they have run up debts of over £1bn in attempting to chase the dream, perhaps its not such a bad thing that speedway doesn't have it.   

I also am sceptical about the increasing age of speedway fans - at least to the extent that many people on here believe that to be the case. The promoter I contacted regarding this issue told me that less than 10% of his attendances are pensioners.

Returning to the actual title thread, I doubt if there is anyone who went to Redcar last night who would disagree.  

...yes that appears to be the perception of many contributors and/or commentators but it would be interesting to see a proper survey so as to be able to gauge an accurate indication of the age group attending speedway today. I guess that fans who regularly attend would confirm that to be the case based on personal experience  but it would be interesting all the same in my humble opinion.

Edited by steve roberts

2 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Bearing in mind that they have run up debts of over £1bn in attempting to chase the dream, perhaps its not such a bad thing that speedway doesn't have it.   

I also am sceptical about the increasing age of speedway fans - at least to the extent that many people on here believe that to be the case. The promoter I contacted regarding this issue told me that less than 10% of his attendances are pensioners.

Returning to the actual title thread, I doubt if there is anyone who went to Redcar last night who would disagree.  

I think we see it with our own eyes at the track on tv and in crowd photos.It is also very noticeable to those on here who go or watch speedway on tv from other countries,that the crowd is younger in Poland or Denmark or at GP’s

Even football had a conference this year to discuss the problem of attracting youngsters,who were deemed to be interested in new ‘sports’ like these computer game events that are selling out stadiums

5 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

You're operating on data that is well out of date as there are stringent FFP rules for Championship clubs now. You see, football sees a problem and takes steps to fix it.

Speedway just plods along making the same mistake over and over and over.

Who mentioned pensioners? Increasing age doesn't mean pensioners. Rapidly heading in that direction, but not always pensioners. 

2 hours ago, BWitcher said:

You're operating on data that is well out of date as there are stringent FFP rules for Championship clubs now. You see, football sees a problem and takes steps to fix it.

Speedway just plods along making the same mistake over and over and over.

Who mentioned pensioners? Increasing age doesn't mean pensioners. Rapidly heading in that direction, but not always pensioners. 

Am I ? the 2016/17 FFP rules allow a Championship club to lose up to £13m per season, the assessment period being 3 years. 

At least potentially, then, 24 teams x £13m x 3 year = £936m. 

I maintain that I think that the increasing age factor is overstated. Bearing in mind that in the last 3 seasons I have been to over 200 meetings at every track in the country bar two (Swindon by accident, Stoke by design) I think I can speak from experience. 

I repeat : I suspect that anyone who went to Redcar last night would say that the title of this thread is absolutely correct.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 3

On 15/05/2018 at 7:44 PM, cityrebel said:

I've been to three meetings on the island this year, and the crowds haven't been brilliant. They never are before the holiday season starts.

I can assure you, I monitor all our crowd levels, and compared with theprevious 2 seasons, like on like for this time of the year, they are up :)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I repeat : I suspect that anyone who went to Redcar last night would say that the title of this thread is absolutely correct.

I don't disagree in terms of on track racing. 

15 hours ago, barrybishop said:

I can assure you, I monitor all our crowd levels, and compared with theprevious 2 seasons, like on like for this time of the year, they are up :)

How many other teams can say that ?

To some of us that is no surprise at all simply because you have set a standard for every other club in British speedway to follow. I have made no secret of my respect and admiration for what you and Martin have achieved and are trying to achieve on the Island and will continue to bang the drum for you and your methods.

Those methods include a huge publicity campaign, free entry for children (100 there on Thursday apparently, average age of the attendance must have been about 14),  the creation of a truly remarkable family atmosphere, a visible presence on race nights and a willingness to engage on here (254 likes from 76 posts says it all) and, above all, a determination not just to give the paying spectator want he wants but to treat him as a valued and important client. The remarkable gesture of giving rain off programmes away free - when most other clubs charge full price, nothing less than a total rip off - is yet another example of how to do it right. Its little wonder that you have attracted little but praise and credit from fans across the country, including some of the BSF's most respected posters.

Every supporter across the country should look at the list above and see if their team does the same. Most of them don't and, in some cases, the contrast will be a stark one. 

One of the saddest parts of my self imposed semi exile from speedway in 2018 is that I won't get to come to your place as much as I would like (a total ban, however is unthinkable :D:approve:). 

• Like 4

On 5/17/2018 at 12:15 PM, BWitcher said:

Championship clubs are generally chasing the dream, to get into the Premier League and reap the rewards of the TV money. There is no such dream or opportunity in speedway.

Speedway's issue is fans walking away and not being replaced, a continual process that gets worse each and every year.

Every year new excuses are looked for.. and some of them such as constant weakening of the league, race nights etc can play a part but the issue that simply can't be escaped is the age of speedway fans continues to rise and through sheer natural wastage the sport has no future.. unless it can generate a healthy supply of younger supporters to take their place.

Championship clubs are indeed chasing the dream and some of the mouth watering wages being paid to bang average players will IMO see a club of some size either fold or tumble down the leagues in the next couple of seasons it is not sustainable , the likes of Villa ( losing around £6 Million a month and paying the likes of Richards £60k a week and he hasn't played for 18 months ) , Sheff Wed , Norwich , Bolton , QPR and various other in serious financial difficulties and yet my team Preston finished 7th in the Championship on crowds of around 11,000 with a maximum wage bill of £7k per week ,  a squad assembled in total for under £3 Million ( consider than on Aston Villa who have spent circa £65 Million in 2 seasons ) a squad valued at perhaps £25-£30 Million , sold a player to West Ham for £8.5 Million who cost us £40k and we have ZERO debt , the only other clubs with a squad spend like us / wages in this league where relegated Burton and Barnsley but we have a long term plan to buy cheap / youth / and get players who want to play football not just for the money , not sure there are many clubs in the top two flights who have adopted this policy but we are up against it more and more every season with the parachute monies and clubs chasing the Multi Millions in the Prem 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2018 at 5:55 PM, tmc said:

Take football. It continues to price itself out of the financial reach of the average man and woman on the street and attending Premier League games now costs an arm and leg. Then there's the overpriced kits (three versions at any one time) and other merchandise clubs pump out to further rip off their loyal followers. Premier League chairmen/owners are widely regarded as the greediest bunch of governing parasites in world sport.

Plenty of 'average' men and women attend football matches so therefore it hasn't priced itself out of the reach of them.

Kits are a ludicrous price but there is no obligation to buy them but just like overpriced phones, video games, gadgets etc plenty people want to buy them.

As for chairmen/owners being greedy in their football involvement many do it at Premier League level simply because they want to show off their wealth. If they wanted to make money they could all make more away from football. The people who run football on the other hand seem to be the more greedy ones.

I realise that most speedway supporters think about the Premier League when they mention 'football' but there is much more to football than the Premier League which can't be compared in any way with football outside of the PL bubble.Over the years i 've met some really genuine people who have had the game at heart and poured thousands of pounds into clubs to keep them afloat simply because they loved the club and the sport. Perhaps if speedway had people like that  it wouldn't be in the decline it is now. There are good and bad in all sports and football and speedway are no exceptions.

Football: It's not all bad ,you know!

On 5/15/2018 at 7:48 AM, f-s-p said:

Regarding football someone said that France is the closest when it comes to reality in finances, but are not that close.

Is that apart from PSG?

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2018 at 2:15 PM, tmc said:

If you think West Ham are worth watching at £50 a pop, think again!

In a supposed 90-minute game of pro football, the ball is only actually in play for about half that time. The rest is taken up with time-wasting, goal-kicks, throw-ins, free-kicks, berating the officials, etc.

Tickets for some West Ham United home matches for the 2018/19 season can be bought for £25 for adults and £12.50 for Under 16s, Under 21s & Over 65s. It's on the official WHU website if you want to check it.

17 hours ago, Hot Shoe said:

Tickets for some West Ham United home matches for the 2018/19 season can be bought for £25 for adults and £12.50 for Under 16s, Under 21s & Over 65s. It's on the official WHU website if you want to check it.

...does that suggest that ticket prices reflect whoever the opponents may be? Seems rather arbitrary to me if that's the case. Gave up on football years ago with  the over inflated salaries and transfer fees but if that's one's poison who am I to argue otherwise.

• Like 1

There have been various categories of games for years now.ManU,Liverpool etc would be the top category with high priced tickets,due to high demand and downwards to the likes of Crystal Palace where prices will be cheaper

Speedway is a brilliant spectacle. Take the Final race of the British Final on Monday, for instance - it was tremendous on the eye. These guys were really going for it on a superb track (thanks Chris Morton and David Gordon). I believe those riders wanted to win - no pretence.

It's when you come to the actual fabric of the sport - team speedway - when it starts to get a bit less honest when guys are pieced for short periods during a season for one team, go off in separate ways on another night for another one, and then we all start again in the winter to say who's where next season. Build up the team ethic with riders and fans, make it tribal between riders and fans of different teams, and then you may be getting somewhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...does that suggest that ticket prices reflect whoever the opponents may be? Seems rather arbitrary to me if that's the case. Gave up on football years ago with  the over inflated salaries and transfer fees but if that's one's poison who am I to argue otherwise.

Yes the tickets (like at many Premier League clubs) are classed as A, B & C matches and i was pointing that you can watch Premier League football for a very reasonable price.

By giving up in football i presume you mean top level football. If that is the case (you mention inflated salaries etc) and you have a problem with that then there is a lot other football available to watch and i can assure you that none of the players will be on inflated salaries.