British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ReadingRacer2017

Somerset v Swindon • 16/05/18 • Premiership

Sum up tonight's meeting in one sentence..... bring back Ez Curtis!

9 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Sum up tonight's meeting in one sentence..... bring back Ez Curtis!

Massive problem, takes me 45 mins each way, I’m not doing that to watch tractors every other heat. Even when that was happening they didn’t provide anything else, just the occasional word from the guy on the mike. Can’t remember ever leaving a meeting before the end before, don’t know when I’ll be back

2 minutes ago, paulboy said:

Massive problem, takes me 45 mins each way, I’m not doing that to watch tractors every other heat. Even when that was happening they didn’t provide anything else, just the occasional word from the guy on the mike. Can’t remember ever leaving a meeting before the end before, don’t know when I’ll be back

The second half of the meeting was actually very good (albeit dusty) so just shows it's 100% down to track prep (or lack of??) and not the material used or any other nonsense. The shape of the OTA will always lend itself to great racing so they have to get the track prep sorted as it's been embarrassing the past two weeks. There will of been people who won't of come back after the Poole meeting, and anyone who was in two minds about tonight won't be back for sure after tonight. Just imagine any newbies being there tonight. Embarrassing.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ReadingRacer2017 said:

Rosco not happy, big points needed from Bellego tomorrow or the fat lady will be clearing her throat.

Did a couple of Swindon riders tag team your girlfriend? You seem to spend 95% of your time trolling robins threads 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Said Morris would struggle this season.

Swindon really need to find a proper reserve. Far to weak at 6 & 7.

Edited by Matt Ford Fan

2 minutes ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

Said Morris would struggle this season.

Swindon really need to find a proper reserve. Far to weak at 6 & 7.

Average would suggest not. 8.89 form 2 home meetings & 7.8 from 4 Away, combined average of 8.14....

7 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

Did a couple of Swindon riders tag team your girlfriend? You seem to spend 95% of your time trolling robins threads 

I’m not sure this posters has ever been to a Swindon meeting so tend to discount what they say. 

59 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

Im waiting for MFF to talk to Reading Racer, one should know what the other is thinking! 

• Haha 1

Thought I would give this thread a bump as the Swindon fans have gone a bit quiet.

Fairly easy win for Somerset by the look of it. For a team written off with only one star man in Doyle, they walked over the Robins sending them home empty handed yet again. Must be worrying times for Rosco. That crown has well and truly slipped. :P

• Like 1

The racing did get better after all the track work . I was disappointed in Swindon , on the way in I was told Bellego flies round Somerset , that proved not to be the case . Even Batchelor faded towards the end of the meeting . Somerset were good though with Wilson Dean the stand out . 

8 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Thought I would give this thread a bump as the Swindon fans have gone a bit quiet.

Fairly easy win for Somerset by the look of it. For a team written off with only one star man in Doyle, they walked over the Robins sending them home empty handed yet again. Must be worrying times for Rosco. That crown has well and truly slipped. :P

Rosco must be very worried, they only managed 2 more points than Poole at the Oak Tree, got to be crisis time!!

• Like 1

There is no doubt Somerset speedway have hit crisis point with their track. Once again the crowd were kept waiting for a significant length of time whilst surgery was applied to the track. Again we watched as the riders fairly trundled around for the first 4 heats. 

This time I noticed dissent from the local support in the shape of angry shouts towards the promotion. Indeed, Ez Curtis the former curator often received criticism for his poor communication, especially with the riders, but there is now a growing feeling from Rebels fans that he should be brought back  

A healthy crowd eventually witnessed some good racing and by mid meeting Swindon were looking threatening although Bellego consistently missed the gate, hampering his efforts to get to the front  That said, he did look quick but left himself far too much to do  

Troy Batchelor looked once again in fine form  However, after winning his tactical substitute ride and previously easily beating Jason Doyle, he let his lead slip by carelessly allowing both BWD and Charles Wright past him , for which in my opinion was a crucial moment in Somerset taking the points. sure, both Rebels riders deserve great credit for their terrific and courageous passes, but Batchelor should have closed the door on them   both and it would have been race won, keeping the Robins still dangerously close  The 5-1 reverse ultimately gave the Rebels the momentum to which they never looked back.

Musielak and Morris also left their gating gloves at Blunsdon and Ellis apart, who put in a reasonable performance,  there was simply no real fire power amongst the Robins.

The Rebels truly look a fantastic outfit around the OTA, and once the track is sorted out, I am sure there is going to be some amazing speedway served up this year.  The potential within this side is breathtaking. BWD at reserve and Jack Holder in the engine room provide Somerset with blistering pace, and with the never say die efforts of both Jake Allen and Charles Wright, it’s hard to imagine the team being beaten at home this season. 

Finally, good to hear that referee Ronnie Allen is to stay on for a further 3 years and not retiring as expected.  In difficult circumstances this evening, I thought he managed the situation well, and although the meeting did finish later than normal, the experienced Scotsman did his best to speed the meeting through whilst constantly communicating with the riders and track staff, especially in the early part of the meeting when at one point it appeared the meeting could have been abandoned.  

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

You got off the bottom of the table yet ?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Swindon really need to bring in a better rider at reserve & if that means 2 changes then it needs to be looked at.

It will only take an off night at home & then that decision will be a must.

Wasn't there last night, but it's interesting to note that the winning times before grading were significantly faster than after.