British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ReadingRacer2017

Somerset v Swindon • 16/05/18 • Premiership

6 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

You got off the bottom of the table yet ?

Afraid so. Only two points off a playoff spot with a home meeting  in hand. B)

• Like 1

No need too hit panic button despite losses away 3 times for the mighty Robins. Get off the back of Jack and Zac both are prospects for the future. Every time we lose the knife comes out for Bellego.  Well done Somerset but sad the talking  point appears to be track again. Think Debbie Hancock needs to go public to what her track man' reasoning to why the best track in league is being brought down too he levels of criticisum

8 hours ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

There is no doubt Somerset speedway have hit crisis point with their track. Once again the crowd were kept waiting for a significant length of time whilst surgery was applied to the track. Again we watched as the riders fairly trundled around for the first 4 heats. 

This time I noticed dissent from the local support in the shape of angry shouts towards the promotion. Indeed, Ez Curtis the former curator often received criticism for his poor communication, especially with the riders, but there is now a growing feeling from Rebels fans that he should be brought back  

A healthy crowd eventually witnessed some good racing and by mid meeting Swindon were looking threatening although Bellego consistently missed the gate, hampering his efforts to get to the front  That said, he did look quick but left himself far too much to do  

Troy Batchelor looked once again in fine form  However, after winning his tactical substitute ride and previously easily beating Jason Doyle, he let his lead slip by carelessly allowing both BWD and Charles Wright past him , for which in my opinion was a crucial moment in Somerset taking the points. sure, both Rebels riders deserve great credit for their terrific and courageous passes, but Batchelor should have closed the door on them   both and it would have been race won, keeping the Robins still dangerously close  The 5-1 reverse ultimately gave the Rebels the momentum to which they never looked back.

Musielak and Morris also left their gating gloves at Blunsdon and Ellis apart, who put in a reasonable performance,  there was simply no real fire power amongst the Robins.

The Rebels truly look a fantastic outfit around the OTA, and once the track is sorted out, I am sure there is going to be some amazing speedway served up this year.  The potential within this side is breathtaking. BWD at reserve and Jack Holder in the engine room provide Somerset with blistering pace, and with the never say die efforts of both Jake Allen and Charles Wright, it’s hard to imagine the team being beaten at home this season. 

Finally, good to hear that referee Ronnie Allen is to stay on for a further 3 years and not retiring as expected.  In difficult circumstances this evening, I thought he managed the situation well, and although the meeting did finish later than normal, the experienced Scotsman did his best to speed the meeting through whilst constantly communicating with the riders and track staff, especially in the early part of the meeting when at one point it appeared the meeting could have been abandoned.  

A brilliant report and post as always ER.

I find it baffling that riders haven't had a practice on the track before last nights meeting after the last meeting's track problems? Jake said they couldn't practice in the interview but they had practiced before the first meeting of the season, so why not? Any problems could of been ironed out in the afternoon then.

I saw a lot of discontent from riders towards the trackman directly and indirectly via the Clark of the course. How long before he gets fed up anyway, as I'm sure that isn't what he signed up to? Ez may not of listened, but that is because he knew what he was doing and how to prepare a good race track. I'd imagine near enough all faith must be lost in the new guy already!

• Like 1

What's happened to Ez Curtis then, whys he not there anymore

According to what I was told last night , Curtis became a moaning nightmare. They were scared to even go near him in the end up . You can't work with someone like that.

Hope this is just a temporary blip because it's still one of the best venues in the country . 

• Like 2

Thanks, let's hope they sort it quick if The fans start moaning about a track like Somerset speedway might as well pack up now

The track last night was DANGEROUS !!! Jake Allen was left to explain to the crowd why the riders had taken a stand on it. Disgusting state of affairs. Hancock or May should have taken the mike and done that but no ! They were hiding ! We didn't see Hancock all night after the stoppage !!! The riders should feedback to May, not talk to, or berate the track staff themselves !!! May, in turn should liaise with the Curator or Clerk of the course about track conditions and remedial work to be carried out !!! It is quite clear that after the Poole match and the track problem then, nothing has been done to address the original problem with the excess shale problem. This brings me to an incident at the Poole Match when John Burrows the start marshal was  berated by a rider about the cone that is placed in the middle of the track against the tapes. Lawson visually berated John over the alleged "problem cone" on a special on foot visit to the tapes after a race !!! During which the rider slammed the cone down on Johns foot !!! Nothing more happened and the rider marched off !!! Later in the evening John was in the Bar  and was allegedly approached by May and reprimanded about the incident and the upshot was that John has given up the Start Marshalls position after eighteen years !!! HOM MANY MORE TRACK STAFF WILL LEAVE ? Somerset you are shooting yourselves in the foot !!!

Edited by Aroundtheboards
  • Like 1

The Jake Allen crash was more to do with him carrying too much speed into the 3rd and 4th bend , than the state of the track . Everyone round where I was stood knew he was going down . And Debbie was around , she ran me and Willie back to West Huntspill 

16 minutes ago, Paulco said:

The Jake Allen crash was more to do with him carrying too much speed into the 3rd and 4th bend , than the state of the track . Everyone round where I was stood knew he was going down . And Debbie was around , she ran me and Willie back to West Huntspill 

I would tend to agree with you Paulco.

Nice to touch base with you have a safe journey home.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paulco said:

We all said the same from our position too, he seemed to have far to much speed and just pulled a massive locker.

10 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

You got off the bottom of the table yet ?

Yes thanks we will soon be passing you on the way up , Swindon on the slippery slope down.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Yes thanks we will soon be passing you on the way up , Swindon on the slippery slope down.

ha ha you hope

According to the Somerset owners, it's down to the new shale not binding and breaking up. Riders walked the track and said it was fine...it wasn't until it was ridden that they found it wasn't binding and breaking up in places.

Not sure what they can do about that, apart from get new shale that works for speedway.

Didn't this happen at Kings Lynn last season as well?

Hope they get this sorted it's got to be in the top 3 of tracks with Belle Vue and Scunny, I get the frustration but no need for the personal insults

• Like 1