British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gee jay

british u-19 final

Guest GiveusaB

Saw Bickley at PB this season and he struggled against much weaker opposition.....it must be very difficult to live up to expectations, especially when he was so good last year!

He has loads of time to get going again!

Joe Lawlor impressed me when I saw him in the same meeting . Confident and daring...willing to try all lines !

It's great that we have these 'new kids on the block' !

Some are brilliant for their age and then fade when they get their confidence knocked and then there's youngsters like Leon Flint who is 'simply' way above his years.

A real star in the making and he can gate like no other imo......this kid is going to be the next big thing!

Great meeting all round, meeting was run in a very professional manner and all the riders gave 100% from start to finish, Dan Bewley was class and he is I'm sure a Grand Prix Rider of the future, Tom Brennan was a well deserved 2nd and well done to them all because from what we saw last night British Speeway was a very bright future

14 hours ago, Speedway28 said:

My questioning of the pricing was based on the Under 21 qualifier at Peterborough last year being just £10. Just wondered if the casual fan may have been put off by the pricing. Anyway, on to tonight's racing...

Bewley was expected to win easily but is just one of those riders who you can watch leading by miles and still enjoy the race. He really is something special and I hope his development continues.

Hugely impressed by Leon Flint. Really attacked the track and clearly has loads of potential. Expect him to be in the Championship with Berwick next year. Also very pleased he got third place as I don't agree with run offs when a rider has already beaten the other in their scheduled race. Looked like an expensive run off for Thomas though, with sparks flying out of the bike.

Was disappointed with Bickley, have to question whether the move into the Championship has come too early for him. Last year would've been perfect with each time having to have a 2.00 average rider, but this year the jump may be too big for him at the moment.

Enjoyed watching Joe Lawlor, shame to see him nearly fall which cost him a chance of the podium. Bit scary to watch when he turns round every single corner looking where the riders behind are!

Expected slightly more from Kemp and Edwards but they're both very young and their time will come. Both attacked the track well and have to wonder if the pressure of being at a local track may of played on Kemp's mind slightly.

Tom Brennan was absolutely superb and has come on leaps and bounds. Gave his best to push Bewley out in their race but just didn't have the pace, however he wasn't a million miles away the whole race through. Another one with huge potential and I just wonder if Chris Louis may be on the phone to Martin Dugard soon.

Overall, an enjoyable night. Congratulations to Dan, Tom and Leon on their achievements.

LOL.........£10 for live motorsport !

As for Drew...only had one slip off which cost him the podium place, other than that wins and seconds mainly, can't ask alot more ?

After getting this meeting hopefully more will happen in the future. Would like to see the under 21 here.

As for the riders... they all gave it a go. Liked to look of the fancied Flint, Thomas , Bickley and Brennan. Of the ones id not really heard or seen much of i thought Lawlor, Hampshire and Edwards did well. Especially Lawlor but though he has a strange elbows out style...

3 hours ago, AntiqueSteve said:

As for Drew...only had one slip off which cost him the podium place, other than that wins and seconds mainly, can't ask alot more ?

Mrbeerhut will be able to confirm - I understand Drews fall was caused by a broken seat bracket issue

21 hours ago, AntiqueSteve said:

I just don't see the causal fan seeing a £15 admission price, £1 cheaper than a Championship meeting, viewing that as value for money. I appreciate the young lads try their best and there is something special about seeing the youngsters come through but I'd guess from the crowd that people paid more attention to the pricing than you expect. I'm not suggesting £10 but why not charge £12/13 and bring more people in? 

Drew did well but I expected him to push Flint for the podium place but it sounds like a bike issue, so fair enough I was harsh on Drew.

Just a word for a couple of the other riders. Taylor Hampshire is improving which is great to see. Looked a decent prospect at Mildenhall and was disappointed to see him move on, hopefully he'll be back in the future. 

Also, impressed with Charlie Brooks. Really struggled to get round in his first ride but is clearly a quick learner and improved rapidly over the night, getting close without threatening to overtake Kyle Bickley in one race. 

21 hours ago, AntiqueSteve said:

Obviously in a different situation,but last weeks Danish qualifier for the world and European U21 championships at Holstebro for instance was free to get in!!!

Including these riders

1. Frederik Jakobsen 10 point VM/EM
2. Andreas Lyager 10 point VM/EM
3. Patrick Hansen 9 point VM/EM
4. Jonas Jeppesen 8 VM/EM
5. Christian Thaysen 8 VM/EM
6. Kasper Andersen 8 EM

Also last night in Güstrow it was €16 for a youth meeting,but tomorrow the price only rises 2 euroes for a meeting including Jason Doyle!!! So the Danes can do a meeting extremely cheap and maybe 16 euroes for a junior meeting is expensive?1,500 turned up though

For a round of the Czech U21 Championship, including the 125cc U16 Championship round, at Plzen a couple of weeks ago, the admission prize was 60 Czech Crowns (ca. 2 GBP), and this was inclusive of a full coloured 12 page progamme. Still there were less than a hundred spectators in attendance.

Interesting meeting though the difference in standard over the 16 riders was vast!

Bickley was miles ahead of anyone else and looks like a "freak of nature" in that he is so talented and quick. If he keeps progressing as he has done so far he could become a serious contender for the World champs in the future. I think even if he'd of been against the Ipswich Witches he'd have still scored heavily!

Brennan was very impressive and fast.

Flint looks very talented for such a young age.

Thomas and Lawlor were quick and have potential.

For all the publicity he has had, Bickley disappointed me as he wasn't that quick although he has a neat style. Hes certainly not ready for 2nd Division racing yet and has a lot of improving to do to live up with all the hype.

Drew Kemp looks a superb talent and very hungry to do well. His fall was probably due to over trying!

Hampshire and Halder look  to have potential to improve.

Brooks is amazing on grasstrack but wasn't fast at Ipswich but its still early days!

I'd say only 6 -7 riders at most on show on Thursday will make it as top 2 Division riders.

As for the pricing, there was justification to charge less, like £10 for adults but would the reduced price have brought that many extra people into make up for the £5 drop?

- Probably not I'd say as recent years have proved at Ipswich and most other tracks that casual and regular fans aren't interested in anything other than official League meetings!  

Edited by 25yearfan

15 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

Drew Kemp looks a superb talent and very hungry to do well. His fall was probably due to over trying!

As for the pricing, there was justification to charge less, like £10 for adults but would the reduced price have brought that many extra people into make up for the £5 drop?

- Probably not I'd say as recent years have proved at Ipswich and most other tracks that casual and regular fans aren't interested in anything other than official League meetings!  

Drew apparently had a seat break which caused his fall and made it difficult to carry on despite remounting. Without that problem I think he may well have got 3rd place back

Re the crowd level - yes well down on normal Ipswich level (1100ish)but still at my estimate around 700. Sadly many tracks would be very pleased for that at their official league meetings

I didn't know about Kemps seat break, terrific prospect and very tenacious as his overtake while leaving the track last Sunday at Mildenhall proves!

Yes the crowd was down on normal Foxhall levels. I'm afraid the days of even above average crowds for individual meetings are gone even at a better supported track like Ipswich!

Smaller crowd levels are more noticeable at Foxhall because it is still a decent sized stadium. Thursdays crowd at Mildenhall would look larger because of the smaller stadium!