British Speedway Forum
mickthemuppet

Fixed night farce-how much longer

10 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Sorry, but you've got it wrong.  Mondays and Wednesdays were the dates agreed at the AGM by the promoters from BOTH divisions - not Mondays and Thursdays.

And look what a cock up it is with PL riders missing.

Unless there is a dramatic upturn in crowds for those who have suffered from having to change their race nights I can see a serious risk to FRN's continuing next year.  Teams could be lost to the PL making it no longer viable.

2 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

Unless there is a dramatic upturn in crowds for those who have suffered from having to change their race nights I can see a serious risk to FRN's continuing next year.  Teams could be lost to the PL making it no longer viable.

The sad thing is, some supporters of Second Division teams will merely see that as a victory for their own league.

3 minutes ago, Grachan said:

The sad thing is, some supporters of Second Division teams will merely see that as a victory for their own league.

Don't be daft.

You've got this dangerous 'us' and 'them' mentality when it comes to the two leagues.

It's about both leagues working together.  And also about neither thinking they're more important than the other one.

You're right that they should work together but it is a fact of life that the top league in any sport has to be the most important. It is the PL that features on TV and has a higher profile and therefore should be the league where every every effort is made to make it successful. That in the end is to the benefit of speedway as a whole.

However, that doesn't mean neglecting the other leagues nor does it mean doing things which have a serious detrimental affect on those leagues. Every effort should be made to work together and certainly not to have a situation, as we have currently, where the CL is making decisions which are causing harm to the PL.

Edited by Aces51

10 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Don't be daft.

You've got this dangerous 'us' and 'them' mentality when it comes to the two leagues.

It's about both leagues working together.  And also about neither thinking they're more important than the other one.

No I haven't. I'm merely arguing against those who have.

It is usually second division supporters on here who come up with a confrontational attitude between the two leagues, and it is always second division supporters who then accuse supporters of teams in the top flight of having a "them and us" attitude when they try to counteract it. From what I see, it is ALWAYS the opposite, and your posts are a typical example of that.

Personally I think you'd quite happily see the first division fail, Rob, just because Swindon are in it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Personally I think you'd quite happily see the first division fail, Rob, just because Swindon are in it.

Oh, for goodness sake, take that chip off your shoulder.

I've seen my club die.  I hope one day it is resurrected, but in the meantime, if you think I want Swindon to fail, then you're on a different planet.  I don't to see any club close. 

Doubling-up is here at the moment, and sadly it isn't going away anytime time soon.  While it's here, then there is a necessity for the two leagues to have different race-nights, and for the clubs to honour any agreement regarding those nights.

Monday and Wednesday nights have not done Wolves or Poole any harm.  They are perfectly acceptable nights for speedway.

2 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Oh, for goodness sake, take that chip off your shoulder.

I've seen my club die.  I hope one day it is resurrected, but in the meantime, if you think I want Swindon to fail, then you're on a different planet.  I don't to see any club close. 

Doubling-up is here at the moment, and sadly it isn't going away anytime time soon.  While it's here, then there is a necessity for the two leagues to have different race-nights, and for the clubs to honour any agreement regarding those nights.

Monday and Wednesday nights have not done Wolves or Poole any harm.  They are perfectly acceptable nights for speedway.

Glad to hear that. I do wonder sometimes.

Look at the King's Lynn threads if you think Wednesdays are working for the top flight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lucifer sam said:

Nice try, but there's far more many riders of second division standard doubling-up than those of first division standard.

Almost every second string and reserve in the top-flight is a second division standard rider.  Add in some second and third heat-leaders as well.

If the top-flight want first call, then it's about time they put out genuine top-flight teams.

If not, then the two leagues need to avoid racing on the same night.  And with three teams to one, it's clear Thursday has to be a Championship night.  It's an agreed night, and needs to be stuck to.  Swindon either need to run on Mondays and Wednesdays next year, or otherwise down drop to the Championship and race on Thursdays.

Nice Try Robert,

However, I suspect you know full well that Blunsdon isnt available on Wednesdays, hence why Swindon have been allowed to run 50% on Mondays and 50% on Thursdays this season...

You will also be fully aware that the original agreement was for the Premiership to run on Mondays and Thursdays...Depending on which story you believe, Mondays and Thursdays were quashed by either the former hair dressing products salesman on the south coast, or both Ipswich and Sheffield, with a further sub plot involving Sheffield, in that the Bates family were considering swapping leagues for Leicester and Sheffield, which, if it had happened, meant the Bates family actually wanted Mondays and Thursdays for the Premiership, so Sheffield wouldnt have to switch nights...

Of course, with Oxford hopefully coming back in the not too distant future, you would be very glad to see Swindon in the Championship, as it would give the Cheetahs a local derby. Thats assuming of course that Oxford return in the Championship, otherwise your nearest "derby" would be whom, Peterborough ?

However, I do wonder, should Oxford return in the Premiership, whether "the arrogance of a top flight fan" would prefer Swindon to remain in the Premiership, otherwise your "derby" would be Wolves....

17 minutes ago, Grachan said:

No I haven't. I'm merely arguing against those who have.

It is usually second division supporters on here who come up with a confrontational attitude between the two leagues, and it is always second division supporters who then accuse supporters of teams in the top flight of having a "them and us" attitude when they try to counteract it. From what I see, it is ALWAYS the opposite, and your posts are a typical example of that.

+1

Pretty much spot on,  we all know Rob's thoughts on Swindon, though of course he denies it !

4 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Even with a lot of shooting practice over the last 20 years or so their aim remains very poor.

Dale Allitt at King's Lynn said this week we wanted Mondays & Thursdays for the Premier League but got Mon. & Weds and " have to make the best of it". We have heard that kind of comment numerous times over the years from BSPA and then they change something else for the next season and get that wrong! He is the Team Manager of a team with 3 or 4 Danes in it, who will be missing for 40% of the team fixtures ( inc. their No. 1 ) And they won't or daren't run on Mondays. If Swindon were allowed to continue on some Thursdays why not others? Yes, double up clashes raise their heads again. Stars V Leics had six guests or r/r in it.

Not quite true, we have 4 home fixtures on the Monday to test the water

This whole thing can be rectified very easily in 2019.

The Premiership runs on Monday & Thursday. Redcar, Ipswich and Sheffield can also keep their Thursday night but in doing so they lose the priority of rider's signed to Premiership clubs where a fixture takes place on a Thursday. 

Sorted

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

The Premiership runs on Monday & Thursday. Redcar, Ipswich and Sheffield can also keep their Thursday night but in doing so they lose the priority of rider's signed to Premiership clubs where a fixture takes place on a Thursday. 

Sorted

You forgot to mention that whoever the above CL clubs are riding against on the thurs would also have to find replacements for any d/u riders with a PL team.  No problem with that but would all the CL clubs accept that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

You forgot to mention that whoever the above CL clubs are riding against on the thurs would also have to find replacements for any d/u riders with a PL team.  No problem with that but would all the CL clubs accept that.

That too:t:

56 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Sorted

The whole thing can be rectified very easily in 2019

ONE BRITISH LEAGUE RUNNING ON NIGHTS THE TRACKS PREFER TO OPERATE

• Like 5