British Speedway Forum
mickthemuppet

Fixed night farce-how much longer

37 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

So Poland and Sweden have team places available do they?

Once all the riders that are lost to Poland Sweden Denmark  Gp's etc  also don't forget you have take out the riders from the teams who double up   at the moment ..let us see your  all the teams  for this one big league that  you have in mind ? Also tell us how this big league would work now seeing it never last time  ? 

Edited by orion

Perhaps use all the Polish and Swedish riders who lose their team places to those "leaving these shores"

How can you justify a Friday night with just two meetings in Britain - a Friday night when the kids have no school tomorrow 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Perhaps use all the Polish and Swedish riders who lose their team places to those "leaving these shores"

How can you justify a Friday night with just two meetings in Britain - a Friday night when the kids have no school tomorrow 

As  I said before ..How many Meetings in Denmark and Sweden are on a Friday they don't find it a problem  ...it's easy to justify when you see all the riders who missed matches on Fridays last year replacing them with guests and RR all the time  ..time has moved on the uk can't run speedway with decent teams at the weekends anymore 

So your answer is to run on nights the fans clearly don't want, or can't attend

That sounds like a plan devised by the BSPA

13 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

So your answer is to run on nights the fans clearly don't want, or can't attend

That sounds like a plan devised by the BSPA

What is your answer..to keep running matches with half the teams missing each week ? or one big league that never worked before and would  be of a very low standard and maybe not even enough riders ? For all the moaning people never come up with  any answers that work .last year moan moan moan about guests and rr so they try to make a change to help that and then people moan about fixed race nights .as I said if the rule charges back people will no doubt moan about all the guests and rr and ask why no one is doing anything about it .

Better fixture planning in previous years would have reduced the amount of clashes resulting in guests. Much like this year it wouldn’t have eradicated them but we didn’t need to go to the extreme of FRN. 

Having a big league of 19 teams would work fine, just as it did in 1976. 

The biggest problems we have with our sport is the BSPA  is run  by people who think only of themselves and their own clubs,   Such a short sighted vision, that has controlled all that is wrong for more years than can by remembered.  In no other sport would it be possible for the  'lower level' to control the top teams just because of their numbers.   But in speedway its all to obvious, even a blind man can see it.    Our sport is riddled with 'on the minute' rule changes , brought in on a whim, without being properly thought though.  We all hope next year they will get it right , but inevitably it is the same shambolic existence...     And that's the way out sport continues.

The sport needs some stability,  and to do that we need structure and vision for the future.  Unfortunately, I don't see any of them virtues in the BSPA.    Their motto appears to be live today and let tomorrow take care of itself.  

In an ideal world an  ' Independent Governing Body' ,   would solve most of the ingrown problems.  but we know that will never happen.   So the alternative  has to be  a structure  set in stone.   Rules that would need 12months notice for any changes,  and then needing a big percentage of votes before implementing..  

Example: 

The league to consist of 3 divisions,    Each year 1 team  gets promoted and 1 relegated.   

The top league will race on    Thursday & Friday  ,   2nd division will race on   Monday, Tuesday Wednesday  &  Saturday ;   3rd Division Sundays   (Days that can be recognised in Europe) 

Riders are to be free agents,  to sign 12 mth contract only,  and be allowed to sign for 2 UK leagues only.      If there were fixture clashes then the top team would always take preference. 

Rolling CMA to the over 12 matches within the last  18 months.      Team strength to be set at  45 pts..      Riders with no current CMA would be assessed by a representative committee .on an agreed structure...

These are only an example of a structure  laid down, but  once these fundamentals were set in stone,  the only  issues to be sorted at the AGM is  day to day running of the sport...     Everyone would know all the rules,   everyone would know the future,  and each club would want to progress to the top league....  

Hopefully this could end all the problems we experience at present.  

9 hours ago, orion said:

What is your answer..to keep running matches with half the teams missing each week ? or one big league that never worked before and would  be of a very low standard and maybe not even enough riders ? For all the moaning people never come up with  any answers that work .last year moan moan moan about guests and rr so they try to make a change to help that and then people moan about fixed race nights .as I said if the rule charges back people will no doubt moan about all the guests and rr and ask why no one is doing anything about it .

Guests and rr were mainly caused by doubling up - one league would solve that

12 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

The fixed race nights also deals as adequately with Guests & RR. 

16 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Would it .we have not got enough riders in the first place and having a big league would make it worst .as I said give me a laugh and give me  these 7 man teams in this one big league taking away all the riders who would be lost under this new rule ..where are these new riders coming from seeing we have not got enough at the moment ?

Perhaps it is time to downgrade our speedway to a sustainable level because like many people have said it's dying on it's feet ?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, orion said:

Would it .we have not got enough riders in the first place and having a big league would make it worst .as I said give me a laugh and give me  these 7 man teams in this one big league taking away all the riders who would be lost under this new rule ..where are these new riders coming from seeing we have not got enough at the moment ?

Insufficient riders is a myth. There are plenty for one big league, especially if we have fixed race nights of Monday and Thursday and two NL Brits at reserve.

23 minutes ago, ray c said:

Perhaps it is time to downgrade our speedway to a sustainable level because like many people have said it's dying on it's feet ?

The reason speedway is dying on its feet as it keeps getting downgraded ..its been the same plan for the last 20 years 

21 minutes ago, ray c said:

The time was probably ten or so years ago to be honest.....

However, I think some egos of those who run the sport will always stand in the way...

Dealing with 'superstars', I think, must give some a sense of 'reflected glory'...

Ride on nights that give you the best crowd and grow the sport from its current 'rock bottom' base, only use riders committed 100% to GB Speedway. And pay them what is affordable from an entrance fee of no more than fifteen quid..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought the reason for fixed nights was to attract the stars back. It does not seem to have worked.