British Speedway Forum
mickthemuppet

Fixed night farce-how much longer

1 minute ago, DC2 said:

Insufficient riders is a myth. There are plenty for one big league, especially if we have fixed race nights of Monday and Thursday and two NL Brits at reserve.

Insufficint riders racing on every day of the week  that is what is being  suggested is not a myth .the fans moaning want speedway on a Friday and the weekends not fixed race nights of a  Monday and Thursday 

15 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Insufficient riders is a myth. There are plenty for one big league, especially if we have fixed race nights of Monday and Thursday and two NL Brits at reserve.

Attendances show fixed nights aren't attracting enough customers

Tracks must operate on the best nights for them - and we must have Friday and Saturday nights as Speedway nights

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, orion said:

The reason speedway is dying on its feet as it keeps getting downgraded ..its been the same plan for the last 20 years 

If by downgraded you mean semi-professional then so be it - that's how it was in 1965 for the majority of riders, who rode UK and had jobs/professions as well

The likes of Rick France, Ron Mountford, Ivor Brown - even Nigel Boocock - all had income from outside the sport

Full-time Speedway isn't sustainable nowadays and the riders need to realise this - then the financial side might be able to be sorted

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, orion said:

The reason speedway is dying on its feet as it keeps getting downgraded ..its been the same plan for the last 20 years 

I know that the word I used was sustainable ?

44 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

If by downgraded you mean semi-professional then so be it - that's how it was in 1965 for the majority of riders, who rode UK and had jobs/professions as well

The likes of Rick France, Ron Mountford, Ivor Brown - even Nigel Boocock - all had income from outside the sport

Full-time Speedway isn't sustainable nowadays and the riders need to realise this - then the financial side might be able to be 

46 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Full-time Speedway isn't sustainable nowadays and the riders need to realise this - then the financial side might be able to be sorted

We are not in 1965 anymore .uk speedway is not the only show in town anymore times have changed people are not going to spend nl stadard riders etc .lowering the standard so less fans  come in is not sustanable 

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Really??

We could probably build teams to start the season, that's no problem. The issue is rider's get injured, how 1 big league could deal with that? Rider's riding abroad, how 1 big league could deal with that? There will be clubs crippled financially by being around the bottom of the league. 

I think the best idea that some have mentioned is North - South divisions.

3 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Really??

We could probably build teams to start the season, that's no problem. The issue is rider's get injured, how 1 big league could deal with that? Rider's riding abroad, how 1 big league could deal with that? There will be clubs crippled financially by being around the bottom of the league. 

We already pretty much have that now but clubs like Redcar and Newcastle are running on fresh air, so would the only Premiership club in the north have to downgrade to their level?

16 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Really??

Injuries and riders riding abroad would be covered by other riders from abroad, guests, R/R, careful fixture planning and fixed/preferred race nights just like now. 

I can’t see how one big league would be more financially crippling. I suspect that at least 16 of the current 19 PL and CL clubs would be viable with the other 3 dropping to the NL if necessary and if there were a season after season disparity like Premier League football the more successful, richer clubs should subsidise the poorer clubs in the interests of having a competition.

If there are not enough riders to run seven man teams then don't..

If you cannot afford to run seven man teams then don't..

The fewer riders per team will free up others to replace injured riders..

Simply base your team structures on what you can afford and run on nights that bring the most money in...

• Like 1

Exactly. Ipswich last won the top league with six riders. 

Not all teams would want/can run at weekends. 

One league is so mind boggling simple to implement my brain hurts when trying to understand why it’s not happening. 

The only thing that keeps me sane is knowing The Aces will be back to Fridays and BH next year. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ouch said:

Exactly. Ipswich last won the top league with six riders. 

Not all teams would want/can run at weekends. 

One league is so mind boggling simple to implement my brain hurts when trying to understand why it’s not happening. 

The only thing that keeps me sane is knowing The Aces will be back to Fridays and BH next year. 

Exactly, nothing wrong with running teams of 6 or even 5 riders.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

Exactly, nothing wrong with running teams of 6 or even 5 riders.

With every single one of them committed to British Speedway..

They might not be 'Superstars' but very, very few are..

The vast majority of riders will always be 'average'...

Let them earn couple of grand a week on 'average'....

Every week..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

It's quite annoying... Belle Vue now has their own place but can't race on the chosen Saturday. We've seen the crowds for Monday, really pathetic. 

Poole v Redcar. That’ll pull them in! :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Poole v Redcar. That’ll pull them in! :rolleyes:

you really are full of sh8t -it gets right on my wick. Great - Poole are rich and well supported. Play yourselves every week. You need a league - an affordable one for Redcar and others otherwise you'll have a four team Div 1. 

• Like 1