British Speedway Forum
mickthemuppet

Fixed night farce-how much longer

5 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Poole v Redcar. That’ll pull them in! :rolleyes:

Why not, with the team Poole have Redcar could win  :blink: 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 big league. 5 man teams. Then there should be enough riders. 

Edited by Phil The Ace
  • Like 1

i remember when Poole went ** up - i was sorry to lose a track i didn't take the piss out of fans who had lost their track and team to support. They were a cinderella club for years, along with Cradley. People should have more respect for smaller clubs. 

• Like 2

One big league is nonesense. Fans will not come for Poole v Redcar or Berwick. How is that going to pack out stadiums? 

Clubs like Sheffield and Ipswich should be in the top flight and they way they acted when the premership wanted Mondays and Thursdays was frankly disgraceful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

1 big league. 5 man teams. Then there should be enough riders. 

Good god no. Don’t want anything other than 7 man teams. 5 man teams to repetitive.

50 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

One big league is nonesense. Fans will not come for Poole v Redcar or Berwick. How is that going to pack out stadiums? 

Clubs like Sheffield and Ipswich should be in the top flight and they way they acted when the premership wanted Mondays and Thursdays was frankly disgraceful.

Redcar and Berwick would be popular - not so sure about Poole :rolleyes:

Your arrogance precedes you!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Good god no. Don’t want anything other than 7 man teams. 5 man teams to repetitive.

And 8 team leagues aren't 

I'm not against 1 big league, I just can't see who it could be a successful structure. 

Unlike Shovlar though, it would be so much better racing against a variety of teams once a season rather than the same teams 2 or 3 times a season. 

If years ago you said let's have 8 team leagues and if you finish fourth you can still win the league you would have been laughed at!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Correct, four man teams with two or three guests is what we want.....

Or maybe three man teams with three or four guests is what we want...?

Or maybe seven man teams made up of anyone who happens to be available is what we want..?

With the current piss poor attendances, paying seven, rather than less employees makes absolutely perfect fiscal sense..

Maybe Speedway should run with eight man teams to ensure its not 'repititive' and add more costs and double upping complexity?

Seven man teams for me too. In one big league. Assuming the BSPA can come up with a well thought out plan.

15 hours ago, sugarray said:

And 8 team leagues aren't 

It's worth noting that the most successful countries hosting speedway (Sweden and Poland) run 7 man teams in an 8 team league. Seems to be the best way forward. 

One big league has already proven before it won't work. Worst thing that could happen to the sport. 

10 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

It's worth noting that the most successful countries hosting speedway (Sweden and Poland) run 7 man teams in an 8 team league. Seems to be the best way forward. 

One big league has already proven before it won't work. Worst thing that could happen to the sport. 

That's isn't true. One combined league brought about the success of the 70's and 80's but failed in the 90's. Society and the popularity of the sport have changed dramatically since then so neither example may now be relevant. However, what we do know know it's that current structure certainly doesn't work. I would love the see the big stars back in the UK but I would love much more to see the sport grow and become, at the very least, sustainable. The fact is that it is more important to give fans settled teams where, injury apart, absences are a rarity, regular weekly meetings on the nights that best suit that team and preferably a number of local riders in each team that fans will better identify with as their own.

The present structure is broken beyond repair and we have to go back to basics and rebuild. We also must have the leadership that has the vision and ability to carry through the changes needed. Whether that comes from an independent body or the BSPA perhaps doesn't matter, what is vital is that they have the necessary authority and are capable of doing the job.

5 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

That's isn't true. One combined league brought about the success of the 70's and 80's but failed in the 90's. 

I think the success of the 70’s and 80’s was more down to having two leagues where the likes of Peter Collins,Michael Lee and later Gary Havelock,Martin Dugard etc all started in the lower league.It brought us no end of talent,before foreign riders started taking places away.Local riders are very important in bonding people.