Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
mickthemuppet

Fixed night farce-how much longer

Recommended Posts

There's no point talking about crowd sizes five years ago, it's the crisis that Speedway faces now that needs addressing.

Monday night entertainment , as pointed out earlier, is the most difficult night of the week to sell.

Why on earth so called Promoters agreed to it when there were other options avaliable is beyond belief. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shale Searcher said:

I'd say, they'd be poor figures at PL/EL 5 yrs ago, more like 1,500 for CL/Old PL around 5 yrs ago..... 

No chance, most old PL promoters in 2013 would have been delighted with a 1,000 average crowd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reliant Robin said:

No chance, most old PL promoters in 2013 would have been delighted with a 1,000 average crowd

Sad, isn't it.... Leicester had 1,000+ easily I  2013....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Shale Searcher said:

Sad, isn't it.... Leicester had 1,000+ easily I  2013....

It certainly is sad, but it is where the sport stands currently

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Belle Vue did average 1500 last year but significantly below it this year with Monday night racing. However, I wouldn't have expected a good crowd last night when your top 3 are missing and you're using 3 guests. Many fans will no longer support select teams.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't worry too much about the FRN farce, it will be replaced with some other farcical rule / idea in 2019. It has been like that since the last century and will not change with the current promoters running things. Is the idea to get every team's crowd level below 500 and then there is some complicated tax avoidance scheme?. There must be some purpose behind such foolishness. Whereas far away in another country they are worrying about crowd levels below 5,000. Hmmm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Aces51 said:

Belle Vue did average 1500 last year but significantly below it this year with Monday night racing. However, I wouldn't have expected a good crowd last night when your top 3 are missing and you're using 3 guests. Many fans will no longer support select teams.

Spot on. ..

And some will say "we have had guests for donkeys years"...

And indeed we have, however...

The days of turning up at a track, without any prior knowledge, and being peed off to find out PC wasn't there and that another teams' best rider replaced him have long, long gone...

Sweden and Poland run fixed nights and don't use guests....

Their Championships therefore have credibility...

We run the same system and still have guests...

Meaning our Championships don't have credibilty..

It's interesting we didn't use one fixed night like Sweden. So as, I presume, to facilitate the use of guests...

And then our version of 'two fixed nights' is actually three, and that all fixtures are arranged, it would appear, to again, facilitate guest replacements, unlike Poland, who with their three nights still don't use guests..

What you got away with in years gone by, doesn't mean in this age of 'instant news' you can still get away with it today...

When we found out PC wasn't there after we had paid our hard earned to get in, we often moaned to each other, but it was to the 10 or so people around you....

Nowadays you know BV are missing riders days in advance and instead of moaning to ten people, literally thousands on various forums get to read it...

And then make their decision to attend the fixture...

With many, 100% understandably, deciding against it..

If you don't run any Sport with credibility and integrity, you simply cannot complain when you struggle to generate decent crowds every week.

And when you add on that winning that Sports Championship's mean very little (by the very way they are won), and you have real problems I would suggest..

 

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Spot on. ..

And some will say "we have had guests for donkeys years"...

And indeed we have, however...

The days of turning up at a track, without any prior knowledge, and being peed off to find out PC wasn't there and that another teams' best rider replaced him have long, long gone...

Sweden and Poland run fixed nights and don't use guests....

Their Championships therefore have credibility...

We run the same system and still have guests...

Meaning our Championships don't have credibilty..

It's interesting we didn't use one fixed night like Sweden. So as, I presume, to facilitate the use of guests...

And then our version of 'two fixed nights' is actually three, and that all fixtures are arranged, it would appear, to again,facilitate guest replacements, unlike Poland, with their three nights who, still don't use guests..

What you got away with in years gone by doesn't mean in this age of 'instant news' you can get away with it today...

When we found out PC wasn't there after we had paid our hard earned to get in, we often moaned to each other, but it was to the 10 or so people around you....

Nowadays you know BV are missing riders days in advance and instead of moaning to ten people, literally thousands on various forums get to read it...

And then make their decision to attend....

With many, 100% understandably, deciding against it..

If you don't run any Sport with credibility and integrity, you simply cannot complain when you struggle to generate decent crowds every week.

Add on that winning that Sports Championships mean very little by the very way they are won, and you have real problems I would suggest..

 

You're very lucky to not be a Stars fan as you would be hung, drawn and quartered for comments like that. They're getting a very touchy bunch if you talk negative. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many speedway fans get accused of being negative, when they are only stating the facts.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mikebv said:

Spot on. ..

And some will say "we have had guests for donkeys years"...

And indeed we have, however...

The days of turning up at a track, without any prior knowledge, and being peed off to find out PC wasn't there and that another teams' best rider replaced him have long, long gone...

Sweden and Poland run fixed nights and don't use guests....

Their Championships therefore have credibility...

We run the same system and still have guests...

Meaning our Championships don't have credibilty..

It's interesting we didn't use one fixed night like Sweden. So as, I presume, to facilitate the use of guests...

And then our version of 'two fixed nights' is actually three, and that all fixtures are arranged, it would appear, to again,facilitate guest replacements, unlike Poland, with their three nights who, still don't use guests..

What you got away with in years gone by doesn't mean in this age of 'instant news' you can get away with it today...

When we found out PC wasn't there after we had paid our hard earned to get in, we often moaned to each other, but it was to the 10 or so people around you....

Nowadays you know BV are missing riders days in advance and instead of moaning to ten people, literally thousands on various forums get to read it...

And then make their decision to attend....

With many, 100% understandably, deciding against it..

If you don't run any Sport with credibility and integrity, you simply cannot complain when you struggle to generate decent crowds every week.

Add on that winning that Sports Championships mean very little by the very way they are won, and you have real problems I would suggest..

 

Sweden and Poland run with Squads.

With so few PL fixtures these days, why they agree dates knowing riders will be missing, and the financial impact it creates, makes no sense to me. Understand you cannot predict qualifiers but surely it’s more cost effective to reschedule when several riders are confirmed unavailable. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Too many speedway fans get accused of being negative, when they are only stating the facts.

Taking that one (dangerous) stage further......too many EX speedway fans get accused of being negative, when they are only stating the facts.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must admit I’m guilty of that 

I have lot of friends in Poole Wolverhampton etc and I tell them it first out of the gate, gate & go stuff with lots of standing around whilst they grade the track with sub standard food etc in the venue. 

Sometimes think I should shut the f*^% up and let them decide but you know an opportunity missed and all that. 

Speedway fans like to be honest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KevH said:

Taking that one (dangerous) stage further......too many EX speedway fans get accused of being negative, when they are only stating the facts.

I've done twenty meetings this season, so I'm definitely not ex!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hodgy said:

Sweden and Poland run with Squads.

With so few PL fixtures these days, why they agree dates knowing riders will be missing, and the financial impact it creates, makes no sense to me. Understand you cannot predict qualifiers but surely it’s more cost effective to reschedule when several riders are confirmed unavailable. 

 

We have a squad system in the UK, too. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Don't worry too much about the FRN farce, it will be replaced with some other farcical rule / idea in 2019. It has been like that since the last century and will not change with the current promoters running things. Is the idea to get every team's crowd level below 500 and then there is some complicated tax avoidance scheme?. There must be some purpose behind such foolishness. Whereas far away in another country they are worrying about crowd levels below 5,000. Hmmm. 

Whether FRN works or not it's not difficult to see why it was implemented ie double uppers not having their UK meetings clashing and originally for UK top league fixtures to not clash with meetings in other countries until the Wednesday/Thursday/Denmark mess.

If it doesn't work then fair enough but at least they are trying to solve a problem which many punters had identified. And I'm not a BSPA apologist, they get plenty wrong.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy