British Speedway Forum
mickthemuppet

Fixed night farce-how much longer

3 minutes ago, MattK said:

Speedway has tried discount admission on numerous occasions. It simply doesn't convert into regular, full price paying attendances.

So, do we give up on luring newbies along to have a glimpse of what speedway racing has to offer? Watching it on TV might work if it's a good GP, but for example last night from Rye House is unlikely to tempt anyone to visit a stadium and pay full whack. What other schemes could we try?

18 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHAT British speedway needs is for the government to make every Monday a Bank Holiday.

Put something in the water to make people feel that every Monday is a Bank Holiday or just start all work, everywhere on every Tuesday at noon.

We need to get to a point where sponsorship pays the bills so the admission money becomes a bonus and therefor we can £10 to get in, I keep hearing people say that there is no sponsorship around and that’s just not true it’s just they won’t put it in too speedway and that’s where we should be looking, why won’t they ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

So, do we give up on luring newbies along to have a glimpse of what speedway racing has to offer? Watching it on TV might work if it's a good GP, but for example last night from Rye House is unlikely to tempt anyone to visit a stadium and pay full whack. What other schemes could we try?

I'd be interested to know if people would be more likely to turn up if every team raced on the weekend. 

Other sports see a drop off when fixtures are in midweek, whether that be football or cricket. Not everybody wants to rush home from work to then be straight out of the door. 

Eventually British Speedway will have to make a choice, continue how things are (where the standard gets worse every year anyway) or completely change things up by racing on the weekend for example. Imagine if meetings were late evening on a Saturday night every week throughout the Summer, surely that would attract more people? Obviously you wouldn't have any GP riders but we don't really have many left anyway and it's a bit of an imbalance that a few teams have them while others don't. 

As for fixed race nights, they seem to be working OK as in it's cut down on the number of Guests. I don't think it was ever intended to help bring GP riders back as clubs don't seem to have the money nowadays (look at Wolves with Freddie for example).

17 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

it’s just they won’t put it in too speedway and that’s where we should be looking, why won’t they ?

Bacause, apart from a handful, the stadiums have the appearance of rubbish dumps.

Was at Swindon last night and there is debris and junk laying around all over the place down the back straight and around the 3rd bend round to the pits.

• Like 1

Seven GP’s during before the league cut off date. 

25 week minus 7 leaves 18 dates to fit in 15 meetings. Take out the Monday BT meeting and that’s 14. 

FRN was a lazy poor response to a problem. Papering over the cracks yet again. 

They need a good shaking the lot of them. 

31 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I keep hearing people say that there is no sponsorship around and that’s just not true it’s just they won’t put it in too speedway and that’s where we should be looking, why won’t they ?

Firstly, speedway has no profile. The whole point of sponsorship is to raise awareness of your brand and/or receive some prestige/status from the sport your are sponsoring.

Secondly, speedway doesn't know what its target market is. If you look around the tracks it is mainly over 50s, but clubs aim their marketing at school kids and riders are covered in tattoos and piercings. Which companies are aiming their brands at 50 year-old school kids with tattoos?

That means ultimately you end up with business-owning speedway fans sponsoring clubs and riders, which will never cover costs.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, CB252 said:

Bacause, apart from a handful, the stadiums have the appearance of rubbish dumps.

Was at Swindon last night and there is debris and junk laying around all over the place down the back straight and around the 3rd bend round to the pits.

They will tell you that’s the foundations for the new stadium 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WOULD the SGPs on TV on Saturdays affect this? Fans tempted to stay at home perhaps.

Of course not forgetting that many speedway fans are avid football supporters home and away.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MattK said:

Firstly, speedway has no profile. The whole point of sponsorship is to raise awareness of your brand and/or receive some prestige/status from the sport your are sponsoring.

Secondly, speedway doesn't know what its target market is. If you look around the tracks it is mainly over 50s, but clubs aim their marketing at school kids and riders are covered in tattoos and piercings. Which companies are aiming their brands at 50 year-old school kids with tattoos?

That means ultimately you end up with business-owning speedway fans sponsoring clubs and riders, which will never cover costs.

Also a factor is personel any business would certainly vet the people who they are investing in

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

1 hour ago, MattK said:

Speedway has tried discount admission on numerous occasions. It simply doesn't convert into regular, full price paying attendances.

Well at least the cricket club is trying to attract fans - speedway is doing bugger all - won’t be long before OAPs will be the most expensive admission price . 

5 hours ago, Haza said:

Well at least the cricket club is trying to attract fans - speedway is doing bugger all - won’t be long before OAPs will be the most expensive admission price . 

I'm under 65, so I should be entitled to a concession admission price. I felt like a youngster at rye last night!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I'm under 65, so I should be entitled to a concession admission price. I felt like a youngster at rye last night!

That’s the way it’s heading if action isn’t taken 

Very interesting article by Terry Russell in this week's Speedway Star - amongst other things admitting that the BSPA got it wrong by changing the Premiership from the previously agreed Mon/Thurs (to avoid clashes with the International calendar) to Monday/Weds purely down to pressure from the Championship Clubs.