British Speedway Forum
mickthemuppet

Fixed night farce-how much longer

1 hour ago, Midland Red said:

The whole thing can be rectified very easily in 2019

ONE BRITISH LEAGUE RUNNING ON NIGHTS THE TRACKS PREFER TO OPERATE

That would place British Speedway into an even bigger shambles imo as the best of British fly out to Poland for treble the dough.

22 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

That would place British Speedway into an even bigger shambles imo as the best of British fly out to Poland for treble the dough.

How many vacancies do they have out there then?

7 hours ago, Grachan said:

Those 3 PL team were quite happy to stuff the PL to suit the CL. So how has nothing changed?

The problem is the second division seeing itself as some sort of opposition. Why vote for a night when they know the first division will be against Denmark and some team (not including Swindon, by the way) will lose riders?

Because they don't run in the first division and would have problems swapping nights, and lose money by doing so, do you expect turkeys to vote for Christmas?

Is there any possibility of entering into negotiations with the Swedes and the Danes to ask them to change their race nights to Monday and Thursday, giving Britain protected Tuesday and Wednesday? I don't know whether Tuesday and Wednesday are sacrosanct in Seden and Denmark. I recognise that people will say why should they change but a programme of Poland on Sunday, Sweden on Monday, Britain on Tuesday and Wednesday and Denmark on Thursday would probably make for less travelling for riders and might enable them to perform better.

3 minutes ago, Chadster said:

Is there any possibility of entering into negotiations with the Swedes and the Danes to ask them to change their race nights to Monday and Thursday, giving Britain protected Tuesday and Wednesday? I don't know whether Tuesday and Wednesday are sacrosanct in Seden and Denmark. I recognise that people will say why should they change but a programme of Poland on Sunday, Sweden on Monday, Britain on Tuesday and Wednesday and Denmark on Thursday would probably make for less travelling for riders and might enable them to perform better.

Doubt they will move nights.Anyway,Sweden on Tuesday and then Denmark on Wednesday obviously cuts down on travel.......

5 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Doubt they will move nights.Anyway,Sweden on Tuesday and then Denmark on Wednesday obviously cuts down on travel.......

Coupled with the fact that 75% of the Swedish league use Polish bikes and mechanics and with ferries etc would struggle to get there for Monday`s.

1 minute ago, racers and royals said:

Coupled with the fact that 75% of the Swedish league use Polish bikes and mechanics and with ferries etc would struggle to get there for Monday`s.

Plus I always thought if a team needed a last minute replacement ,those riders in Sweden were often willing to make a small detour to Denmark.It works and I can't see them willing t give up those nights

Apart from the other considerations Tuesday and Wednesday are the traditional race nights in Sweden and Denmark whereas in the UK they are probably the least attractive and commercially viable nights of the week, with the exception of those very few teams that traditionally race on a Monday.

10 hours ago, mikebv said:

Simply do what is so obviously the thing to do when running a Motorsport business..

Run Friday and Saturday nights, and Sunday late afternoon, with riders who are 100% available EVERY week

And run on EVERY Bank Holiday, THE most lucrative days to attract crowds out looking to be entertained..

Have a salary cap per team of £5k a match, meaning if they ran five man teams (to spread the riders)  the  'Mr Average' rider would earn £2k a week in the two matches over each weekend. 

At a pay scale structure of £1500, 1250, 1000, 750, 500 per night. I am pretty sure you would get plenty of interest from many riders of a more than 'reasonable level'..

Maybe not the 'superstars', but they earn vast amounts in Poland so wouldn't be interested anyway..

And Poland may pay more than £3k in the 2nd and 3rd Divisions for one meeting but you are often only one bad meeting away from earning ZERO the week after, so a No1 who is guaranteed £3k EVERY week would find it a decent proposition I would suggest..

Charge £15 per adult and nothing for kids 16 and under. Generating £14.4k after VAT for a 1200 crowd. Thus leaving £4.4k towards your running costs after paying out to the riders for two meetings...

1. Run on days which can generate the best crowds..

2. Run with teams full of riders who are 100% committed to British Speedway..

3. Charge a maximum of £15 to get in with kids free..

Surely worth a go? And let's face it if you tick those three boxes and it still doesn't work, then you might as well give up, (but at least you would know you tried)..

However, with the current operating model you simply have no chance of ever being successful..

First of all you can't speedway with other motor sports as there nothing like it that includes 7 man teams in 3 different leagues with riders in other leagues all over Europe .

Wage caps will never work  as  clubs would  just pay cash in hand like they always done ..People don't want to see 5  riders of poor standard who turn up every week other wise the Nl would be packed with people rather than one man and his dog watching . The bottom is  line your never going to get full sides that run on the best race  nights  .

People don't like it but unless the standard of rider and teams get better the crowds never will ..of course the old speedway fan thinks people  will turn up to watch anyone because they will 

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

The SGB twitter feed states "Just the two fixtures this Friday"

Doesn't that give an indication of exactly where it's gone wrong?

Second tier meetings at Glasgow and Scunthorpe - that's all there is on this Friday night

Forget Monday/Thursday or Monday/Wednesday - racing should be available in particular on Friday and Saturday nights, that's when bigger attendances can be achieved

I remember the dreadful attendances at Brandon for Monday Sky meetings - barely a quarter of what could be expected on a Friday or Saturday

One big league, on nights to suit the operators - with riders committed to the British League

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Second tier meetings at Glasgow and Scunthorpe - that's all there is on this Friday night

Forget Monday/Thursday or Monday/Wednesday - racing should be available in particular on Friday and Saturday nights, that's when bigger attendances can be achieved

I remember the dreadful attendances at Brandon for Monday Sky meetings - barely a quarter of what could be expected on a Friday or Saturday

One big league, on nights to suit the operators - with riders committed to the British League

I could not believe that there are only two meetings on tonight, a nice friday evening. 

35 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

How many league matches in Denmark and Sweden tonight ? ..we have a league with riders committed to British speedway  on nights to suit operators it's called the Nl and the crowds are poor, and if we  have one  big league with the riders who would  leave these shores  the standard would only just be above that.  And  that  if you get enough riders to fill every spot seeing  we can't even do that now 

• Like 1

So Poland and Sweden have team places available do they?

37 minutes ago, Fred Flange said:

They will all go to Poland and Sweden because its dead easy to get a team spot paying 4x UK speedway, they don't go there now because they like the fixed race nights better than 4x pay.

Ask onion, he will explain it much more betterer than me.

I expect Fricke , , Bewley would from your side ,cook out's because he's a gp  rider and then you also lose your pole so that would be 4 out of your 7 for a start that not even  thinking  if the other 3 double up    .riders don't do  that now because they have  a choice and earn more money by topping it up in the uk .  ...we don't enough riders now but somehow we going to have enough good riders  to fill the league once we got rid of all the riders who would have to commit to Sweden ,Denmark ,Poland ,Gp's riders 

We have had one big league before and it was a shambles for reasons that have been given many times ,,but now 20 years later people for reason unknown people  think it will work .

Edited by orion