British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
g13webb

Belle Vue V Kings Lynn Stars 21st May 2018

Burst water main might come in handy

• Like 1

Burst water main would no doubt lead to another fine. We need to go with a faulty generator as this is apparently risk free. 

• Like 1

This date must have been agreed to in the knowledge that some riders might be missing?

People are talking about Lynn not wanting it called off but do Belle Vue?

4 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WITH so many vacant dates why can't this sort of thing be avoided?

???

Come on Phil, how long have you been involved in and around Speedway Promoters??..

I presume the question must have been rhetorical as I am sure you know the answer....;):rolleyes::D

45 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Excellent question, when and IF you get an answer maybe you will let the paying customers know cos it seems promoters don't want to!

It can. Here’s how. 

The last line is a give away.......

“Our meeting against Scunthorpe on the 19th May will be postponed to a later date in the season due to ourselves being without Nicolai, Dan and Bradley who have been called up for Grand Prix Qualifiers. 

We would like to thank Scunthorpe for their co-operation in this”.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ouch said:

It can. Here’s how. 

The last line is a give away.......

“Our meeting against Scunthorpe on the 19th May will be postponed to a later date in the season due to ourselves being without Nicolai, Dan and Bradley who have been called up for Grand Prix Qualifiers. 

We would like to thank Scunthorpe for their co-operation in this”.

Wow...

Same Sport...?

Similar scenario...?

Two different outcomes...?

Amazing....!

Who would have thought that some clubs can still actually use common sense...?:rolleyes:

20 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

It's all that is wrong with Speedway, all about taking advantage of others misfortune. 

In the "New Era" at King's Lynn Speedway I thought all that narrow minded parochialism was behind them. But it is true that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. When Buster became The Big Boss of UK speedway we thought that his much shouted criticisms at others promoters would result in progress. All just dreams, turned to dust.

Give Stoke a ring they can give you loads of reasons for not running a meeting

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

In the "New Era" at King's Lynn Speedway I thought all that narrow minded parochialism was behind them. But it is true that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. When Buster became The Big Boss of UK speedway we thought that his much shouted criticisms at others promoters would result in progress. All just dreams, turned to dust.

Since taking over as Chairman he's been an absolute failure. That's not me saying that's the opinion of other teams supporters as we'll now see

• Like 2

On 5/18/2018 at 7:48 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

Is there that many?27th June and the 18th of July are the only vacant dates if they are still wanting to ride on a Monday or a Wednesday that is.Incidentally both these dates are a Wednesday.

On 18/05/2018 at 2:28 PM, mikebv said:

I too will be giving this farce a miss...

However...

On here and various other forums we will get several contributors to the threads discussing whom are the best guests...

Several will comment that "it will still be good racing"....

And come the result,  several will comment on how it was either a good result or a bad one, as if it was an actual bona fide sporting contest between two professional sports teams vying for a National Title..

Sometimes, Speedway fans really do get the operating model (and sport) they deserve...

Spot on mikebv.

I made a comment in a post back in August 2015 that I thought the league table was a 'mysterious work of fiction'. When asked 'why?' I wrote this below, and still some other contributors didn't seem to accept the points I was making. Thankfully the Double Points Tac Ride has now gone, but I do think many speedway fans really can't see the wood for the trees.  

I will admit I'll still be there tomorrow night but only because it is at the NSS. I do enjoy it but I now treat each match as an individual night of entertainment, and all thoughts of it being a bona fide league competition were dispelled in my mind a long time ago. Had we still been at the Dog Track then I definitely wouldn't be there.

•  
On 14/08/2015 at 6:43 PM, BWitcher said:

Why?

Sorry, been away for a few days – but you ask why the league table is ‘a work of mysterious fiction’.

FICTION

1. GUESTS

In modern day speedway our teams are, for whatever reason, increasingly NOT racing against their opponents’ declared 1-7s, with guests being employed in numerous matches week-in, week-out. Infact, whenever there is a match without any guests and / or R/R it is noted as being somewhat remarkable.

Last night’s postponed match at Belle Vue, for example, was set to be the Aces 13th home Elite League match of the season. Had it gone ahead, the 13 matches would have seen the opponents arrive at Kirky Lane with 12 guests and 2 operating R/R.

In another example, in the four Belle Vue / Lakeside matches this season there were 12 guests used and 2 R/Rs!!

What makes the situation look even sillier with guests is that you might see a particular rider at your track guesting for an opponent, but is then absent when his own team visits. Or your own team has a rider missing at an away track, but then he appears at that track guesting for someone else.

The choice of guests is, quite understandably, made on a ‘horse-for-courses’ basis wherever possible and a team may well have a guest rider in its line-up at a particular track where he performs considerably better than the rider he’s replaced.

So if the ‘real’ Team A isn’t taking on the ‘real’ Team B the result can hardly be ‘real’ and so have little credibility. The result is likely to bear no resemblance when teams are full of guests to what it would have been with their own riders - so the result becomes a work of fiction of sorts.

2. DOUBLE POINTS TACTICAL RIDE RULE

Yes here we are again - but if a team ‘wins’ 47-46 by virtue of using this rule then in reality out on the track they’ve actually lost 44-46. What is worse is that if their opponents are the home team, they’re considered to have ‘lost’ and get no match points at all - despite scoring a real match winning total of 46 points out on the track. Absolutely ridiculous!!!! And yet more fiction.

MYSTERIOUS

The mystery is how supporters continue to have the patience to put up with it? It certainly isn’t doing any favours in attracting new supporters. Over the years I’ve taken several ‘first-timers’ to speedway and, for the most part, they’ve enjoyed the spectacle. Get onto explaining the rules and answering their questions about team line-ups and they soon lose interest. I took a couple to a double header at Belle Vue last season (I think it was last season) and two riders were riding as guests for one team in the first match and then for their own team in the second – the couple were very confused to say the least and just laughed in my face when I explained things to them. ‘How on earth can you take speedway seriously’ they asked. I really didn’t have an answer.

Anyhow, I’ll continue to enjoy speedway match by match and try to put out of my mind just how a team has been cobbled together for that particular night.

It's not something to agree or disagree on, it's not opinion. The current guest / double points tactical ride systems make the league table a 'mysterious work of fiction'. No if's or buts about it.

• Like 1

This stuff gets better and better every week .

It's, Brady Kurtz, Josh G and Jason Garrity. Let's hope that Mark Lemon can get more out of the Poole riders than Middlo has this season. If not we could be in trouble. Garrity is in good form so hopefully he can get a decent score.