British Speedway Forum
NSSC News

Save Coventry Speedway-Encouraging news from recent Government appointed independent inspector's interim report and recommendations...Greater protection for Brandon Stadium.

3 minutes ago, gustix said:

The Save Coventry campaign makes for interesting reading. And I concede that in the late 1950s and early 1960s when I was adventurous on my speedway journeys I visited Brandon Stadium quite frequently although based in south London.

However, nearer to home I recall similar hopes in saving Wimbledon Stadium. 'buff said there other than flats blocks are to now be built on the site with sport there going to a stadium for AFC Wimbledon.

Sadly, I suspect that with the stadium owners possibly just providing safety measures in compliance with legal restrictions, the stadium will continue to deteriorate. Should it be 'saved' who will meet the costs of refurbishments? A parallel case is Oxford's Cowley Stadium. Secured by the owners it appears to meet legal safety standards but now in a state of disrepair that will cost the proverbial fortune for any new owner to bring back to standard.

I hate to appear so gloomy but if the final ruling goes in favour of saving the Brandon Stadium as such, who will want to buy and refurbish the venue?

The Save Coventry campaign has had promises from a large number of people/companies/tradespeople to help restore the stadium, as well as financial support for the work involved.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gambo said:

The Save Coventry campaign has had promises from a large number of people/companies/tradespeople to help restore the stadium, as well as financial support for the work involved.

That is encouraging news. And then if you win support to save Coventry's Brandon Stadium, you will have to agree with its owner rental terms and also the charge incurred in regard to security costs. I presume these and all other similar matters in regard to your rent or lease of the stadium and relevant costs have been carefully considered? Have you thought of the fact that the present owners  could consider your tenancy on a long-term lease which may be extremely costly?

13 minutes ago, gustix said:

That is encouraging news. And then if you win support to save Coventry's Brandon Stadium, you will have to agree with its owner rental terms and also the charge incurred in regard to security costs. I presume these and all other similar matters in regard to your rent or lease of the stadium and relevant costs have been carefully considered? Have you thought of the fact that the present owners  could consider your tenancy on a long-term lease which may be extremely costly?

I doubt that the present owners would still be the owners if (and hopefully when) their lucrative plans were rejected. I believe that here have already been offers from motor sports oriented people to purchase the stadium, which would still give the current owners a substantial profit on their 'investment'.

31 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

For goodness sake - you tried to disrupt the lakeside thread on a similar subject, why don't you just leave the things you mention to the folks who put their hard earned time and money on the line for this cause. 

It's actually an insult imo for you to post something like this.  So pompous.

Best wishes to everyone connected with the Coventry cause - don't let such negativity from pillocks like this disrupt the passion you all have.

I take on board your comments The Doctor and respect them to the full. I put forward my observations NOT to sabotage the efforts of those who want to revive stock cars and speedway at Brandon Stadium. I make them so that they are aware of possible bids and schemes that could be made to thwart their 'saviour' plans. 

How many times did we hear/read that Wimbledon Stadium would - even had been saved? Now the developers have a flat development while AFC Wimbledon will also be based there.

As I see things it is best to be aware of the tactics that developers and their legal machinery will initiate to make their venture succeed. And as I have previously said in this thread I have pleasant memories my own visits to Brandon Stadium. If the stadium can be saved all well and good.

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, gustix said:

I fully take on board your comments The Doctor and respect them to the full. I put forward my observations NOT to sabotage the efforts of those who want to revive stock cars and speedway at Brandon Stadium. I make them so that they are aware of possible bids and schemes that could be made to thwart their 'saviour' plans. 

How many times did we hear/read that Wimbledon Stadium would - even had been saved? Now the developers have a flat development while AFC Wimbledon will also be based there.

As I see things it is best to be aware of the tactics that developers and their legal machinery will initiate to make their venture succeed. And as I have previously said in this thread I have pleasant memories my own visits to Brandon Stadium. If the stadium can be saved all well and good.

I think that if you had taken the time to follow, read fully, and digest what has been stated by the Save Coventry Group  on this issue you would understand that they don't expect this to be easy. They aren't making any promises or bold statements , but anyone with common sense can see that they have their plan and they are working extremely hard to save the stadium from the developers.  I'm sure they are fully aware of all the possible pitfalls yet continue to do their best to secure a future for speedway/stocks.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dave Jones said:

I think that if you had taken the time to follow, read fully, and digest what has been stated by the Save Coventry Group  on this issue you would understand that they don't expect this to be easy. They aren't making any promises or bold statements , but anyone with common sense can see that they have their plan and they are working extremely hard to save the stadium from the developers.  I'm sure they are fully aware of all the possible pitfalls yet continue to do their best to secure a future for speedway/stocks.

I wish all success to the group and their efforts to bring short circuit car racing aka 'stock cars' and speedway back to Coventry. I am pleased that you have an awareness of what you are up against - my Posts were designed to alert to possibilities which it now appears you realised were there. 

53 minutes ago, gustix said:

I take on board your comments The Doctor and respect them to the full. I put forward my observations NOT to sabotage the efforts of those who want to revive stock cars and speedway at Brandon Stadium. I make them so that they are aware of possible bids and schemes that could be made to thwart their 'saviour' plans. 

With respect, this has got diddly to do with Wimbledon, and i see nothing in this recent update where anyone is getting ahead of themselves saying Coventry has been "saved".

Without this sounding offensive, i doubt a committed, organised,  sensible bunch of ladies and gents behind this campaign would need any advice from you regarding modern discussions with councils and landowners etc.

As someone who isn't local to Coventry, like me also, i think perhaps we should just get behind their efforts, and in your case, stop wittering on about Wimbledon.  

• Like 5

On 11/7/2018 at 6:16 PM, naffer said:

Resignation  letter from anything to do with Speedway 

very helpful .keep up the good work !!

On 1/17/2019 at 10:18 PM, Dave Jones said:

winning friends far and wide again

On 1/24/2019 at 9:10 AM, adonis said:

very helpful .keep up the good work !!

I thought so.

lets  face it Horton is as about as much use to Saving Brandon as a drone at Gatwick Airport.

16 minutes ago, naffer said:

I thought so.

lets  face it Horton is as about as much use to Saving Brandon as a drone at Gatwick Airport.

A guy who will go down in the Coventry Bees history, all for the wrong reasons. 

seems Gustix can't help himself from trying to put speedway down at every opportunity still, despite being told to stop, and always agreeing he will.

maybe another thread will surface .. "10 Favourite Tracks that have closed" 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevehone said:

seems Gustix can't help himself from trying to put speedway down at every opportunity still, despite being told to stop, and always agreeing he will.

maybe another thread will surface .. "10 Favourite Tracks that have closed" 

10 tracks I wish had not closed would be a nice thread...for me Coventry would be one.

• Like 1