British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tocha

Lakeside Hammers v Edinburgh Monarchs Saturday 19th May

This could be a tough test for the Hammers made slightly easier by the absence of Ricky Wells who is riding in the SGP Challenge. Ed Kennett, who has been in poor form for Rye House, replaces him. Our heat leaders will have to maintain their top form for this backed up by solid displays from Ben and Kyle. Pleased to see Zach had a better meeting for Swindon last Thursday. Meeting preview on Hammers website.

It's a beautiful day, so let's hope for a good crowd. Apparently there's some wedding and a football match happening today, I'm sure these events will not impact on the ever loyal speedway fans turning up.

Love Saturday night racing but I have to work, ironically could have gone last week but we didn’t have a meeting, could go next Friday but we don’t have a meeting, so not very happy really.

Home win all the way,how many of this Edinborough team have any experience of the Lakeside track.Kennet aside ?

Some really good racing  at the raceway despite the score line 54--36.....Starting in heat 1 with Ben Morley, flying  out of the gate to record what i believe may be the fastest time of the season 58.7 ....Adam Ellis top scored with 12+1  from 5 ...Young Zach 10+1 from 5 looked quick and a solid all round performance  from the rest,,,with the exception of Alfie Bowtell who continues to struggle at this level and desperately needs a regular team place in the National league ....Eric Riss looked strong early for the visitors while Eddie Kennet  had his moments late on,,the rest put up some spirited efforts for little reward ...Chilly evening with an average crowd despite the football cup final ,,track staff did a good job on the track that produced some top class passing,,,most enjoyable evening

What was Alfie like tonight? Was he completely off the pace again?

Initially, Alfie looked out of it but came on later and even led Eddie Kennett for a couple of laps in one heat. I believe he now has a team place at Cradley so that should help his continued development.

Hopefully the team place Alfie has for a while at Cradley will give him the time on the bike he needs to improve....His style is such that i have my doubts about the potential others talk about,,.sure he can gate .but i have seen no improvement in ability to score points at Championship level...I hope he can prove that my opinion is wrong....

Have to agree with you there Waco, he looks very unbalanced on the bike which possibly why he is prone to having a lot of offs and then beating himself up over it.

Adam Ellis was the same though, once he learnt how to distribute his weight on the bike better (change riding style) he became a much better rider.

• Like 1

I thought Eric Riss looked fantastic considering he'd never ridden the track before and the scoreline doesn't reflect how close the racing was.

Great night even though it was colder than a witches boob

Edited by bfgpete

8 hours ago, waco said:

Hopefully the team place Alfie has for a while at Cradley will give him the time on the bike he needs to improve....His style is such that i have my doubts about the potential others talk about,,.sure he can gate .but i have seen no improvement in ability to score points at Championship level...I hope he can prove that my opinion is wrong....

Funny thing about riding styles. To my mind, nobody seems to have a more awkward style than Stuart Robson, yet for most of his career he has been a pretty reasona able top league second string. Then we have Lewi Kerr who could hardly complete four laps without falling off when he first came to Lakeside, now look at him, a very good CL second string , probably on the way to being a heatleader.

I do agree though that an NL place will do Alfie's confidence a lot of good, and hopefully we will see him come into his own at the business end of the season. Can't fault his enthusiasm or determination, so it would be great to see him succeed.

Well done to Ben also winning heat one on Saturday. Good to know there is a number two capable of winning heat one and getting us off to a good start when the heatleader gets blocked on the first bend. Ben is another one that has made slow but steady progress and is now beginning to establish himself solidly at CL level.

11 + 1 (from 5) from Alfie for Cradley last night.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, TonyE said:

11 + 1 (from 5) from Alfie for Cradley last night.

Yes, excellent performance on a track I think he had never ridden before. 3,2,3,2,1'. Must do his confidence the world of good. Everyone likes Alfie because he always gives his best wherever he rides. Completely irrepressible. The jury is still out on whether he makes the  grade  but I think the fans are 100% behind him. 

Good to see also that another Lakeside/Hagon protege, Jason Edwards top scored for his side with 12 from 7 rides in the same match.

Edited by Daytripper
  • Like 1