British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Wolves Premiership A. 23/5/18

3 hours ago, ray c said:

maybe it was but i thought we would beat you tonight . but im afraid this poole  side its not going anywhere unless we make changes . need a no1 to start with

Everybody expected Poole to win also. Poole on paper have a superb side however are riding like the worst team in the league.  Something very odd going on that probably even Poole fans find baffling. 

In truth no one team is looking head and shoulders above the rest. Both Swindon and Wolves have had wobbles and the are 1 and 2 in the table. 

I'd take an indifferent run like this (which in truth is better than 7 other teams) and stay in the top 4 come September. 

Really feel sorry for Stefan, he has had injuries in the last few years, usually as soon as he gets back to form from the previous one.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Really feel sorry for Stefan, he has had injuries in the last few years, usually as soon as he gets back to form from the previous one.

Conflicting  reports. 

One poster on Scunthorpe says broken tibia/fibia yet this morning the SGB said it was reported later no breaks. Someone is way out on info

that old saying "be carefull what you wish for" is relevant to poole supporters at the moment,forget a new no1,stick with what we have except one change,subject to figures redeclare and bring in a 5/6pt rider to replace poor stefan,real strength in depth.Worral permanent for holder, remember last yrs "team strengthening"!!

22 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Conflicting  reports. 

One poster on Scunthorpe says broken tibia/fibia yet this morning the SGB said it was reported later no breaks. Someone is way out on info

Hope it is the latter for him.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

Lahti is going really well on the continent!!:D;)

Anyway back to last night, the track was done to the riders request after a long post-meeting 'lock-in' after last week's meeting!!

The forecasted evening showers duly arrived mid-meeting but were only light and not enough to keep the dust down. Even the 'blue groove' appeared again but on turn 3-4 this time.

However Poole's main problem still seems to be the inability to consistently gate!!

Linus picked up Rider of the Night and fully deserved it in his best meeting so far. I see from earlier comments that Kacper Woryna has been getting some stick, but he provided some great action in some of the best races last night - albeit being taken out of heat 9 by a Kurtz T/S.

As for the Poole rumourmill, well it seems there may be further complications for CH's return. Also although there are a couple of 'big-hitters prepared to come in, they both want a 'guarantee' plus flight costs, so I doubt that will be the way forward although you can always suspect that MF has some alternative options - even though they may not be to everyone's liking?!

Onwards and upwards (well it can only be upwards....!)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Conflicting  reports. 

And the fact. it wasn't even mentioned that Rory had an off, and has had to have stitches in a deep cut to his hand.

Hopefully Mr Mungo will update us on Stefan's status at some point. Fingers crossed it is the latter.

6 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Lahti is going really well on the continent!!:D;)

Anyway back to last night, the track was done to the riders request after a long post-meeting 'lock-in' after last week's meeting!!

The forecasted evening showers duly arrived mid-meeting but were only light and not enough to keep the dust down. Even the 'blue groove' appeared again but on turn 3-4 this time.

However Poole's main problem still seems to be the inability to consistently gate!!

Linus picked up Rider of the Night and fully deserved it in his best meeting so far. I see from earlier comments that Kacper Woryna has been getting some stick, but he provided some great action in some of the best races last night - albeit being taken out of heat 9 by a Kurtz T/S.

As for the Poole rumourmill, well it seems there may be further complications for CH's return. Also although there are a couple of 'big-hitters prepared to come in, they both want a 'guarantee' plus flight costs, so I doubt that will be the way forward although you can always suspect that MF has some alternative options - even though they may not be to everyone's liking?!

Onwards and upwards (well it can only be upwards....!)

I really thought that Woryna slipping in to the reserve slot would be a big plus with a 6/7 ride possibility. He could easily have done that last night but by my calc Spaniak is ahead by a crazy .03 of a point. All it needed was Woryna to score one point less from same amount of rides as Spaniak. Again thats IF my calc are correct.

Linus proved me wrong last night BUT the stats dont lie. He last 14 matches in POL EXL have been poor and he has not started great in SWE after 3 meetings. My concern would be him falling back into his previous UK/SWE/POL form of so far this season. Having said that his new 6.00 GSA will be useful maybe in team rebuilding ??

The poss further delay of Holder is indeed frustrating, but honestly from what I have so far this season I dont see him as their saviour and would not surprise me if he just holds his av. (If he comes back as patience must be on borderline now).

It is definitely a recognised number one they are missing but of course comes down to both finance and who is available anyway. Maybe Matt let comments out about the high cost of the real stars as a prelude to a bit of a let down IF he is planning changes. If thats the case then it just strengthens the argument that top flight speedway is maybe on the ropes with falling crowds - less decent sponsorship. Let's not forget that although Poole Volvo stepped in, I am sure it was nowhere near the lost Readypower deal (which I read was in excess of £100k per season ??). Add to that the loss of the Sky deal for much lower BT offer, falling crowds - cancelled meetings and it kind of sums up where we are. A club that cant even afford to kit out its own riders let alone maybe pay top Dollar for any stars that may be available.

Makes you wonder what 2019 will bring.

Anyway lets see what/if Matt does in the coming week.

58 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Conflicting  reports. 

I was the poster. I'm just going by what Stefan himself told me. He left Hospital at 2.45am this morning and didn't get home till 6.30am this morning. Sadly SGB seemed to have been misinformed or are reporting false hope for people

Surely Matt has arrived at the time in which the team he puts out is the next couple of days or weeks will be the side that he hopes will see us through the rest of the season either with Chris holder or not I must admit it's more likely looking not ?

26 minutes ago, Badge said:

And the fact. it wasn't even mentioned that Rory had an off, and has had to have stitches in a deep cut to his hand.

Hopefully Mr Mungo will update us on Stefan's status at some point. Fingers crossed it is the latter.

Definitely broken leg. It is completely unnecessary to me SGB have actually uploaded a video of the crash, and quite frankly appalling that they give out wrong information.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

10 minutes ago, MrMungo said:

Definitely broken leg. It is completely unnecessary to me SGB have actually uploaded a video of the crash, and quite frankly appalling that they give out wrong information.

Massively rough luck on Stefan. Not sure what he needs to do as everytime he starts going well he has cruel injuries.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MrMungo said:

Totally agree. Stefan has confirmed a broken tib and possible broken fib.

And I thought the videos shown on SGB website were to show a highlight from the meeting....and what to we get from Poole, the crash which possibly is a season finisher for Stefan.

Totally and utterly insensitive.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MrMungo said:

Agree on both points.

There was plenty enough racing last night to have concentrated on something far less palatable. As for the wrong comment they made as to his injury - Why am I not surprised.

• Like 1

I see the video has now been taken down. I hope some sort of apology to Stefan and his family will come in due course but with the monkeys that run the operation I doubt it.