British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Smith

Keith Chapman - Failure or Success?

Since taking over as BSPA Chairman he made a promise that at the end of his first 3 years we'd notice significant (positive) changes.

For me personally I was a massive advocate of his, he couldn't do much wrong.

May be I've just changed, I don't know but in these last 3 seasons I think he's been a massive failure for club and country. 

• Totally and utterly lost touch with the people and listens to the few?
  • Is British Speedway any better now than 2015?
  • What's has Chapman done that's improved Speedway?

I think the sport in Britain is beyond repair until a total colaspe and then rebuild from scratch but I don’t blame buster, yes he has been in charge but even when he makes a correct stand against something he gets slated, something I see is too few people having too many fingers in too many pies, it’s always the same names and that’s when conflict of interest happens and when you have that nothing gets acheived  

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 4

We were supposed to see a new regime in place for starting procedures, It's just as bad now as it was last year, certain riders would do well on 'Gardeners Question Time.'

9 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I think the sport in Britain is beyond repair until a total colaspe and then rebuild from scratch but I don’t blame buster, yes he has been in charge but even when he makes a correct stand against something he gets slated, something I see is to few people having to many fingers in to many pies, it’s always the same names and that’s when conflict of interest happens and when you have that nothing gets acheived  

couldn't agree more - start from scratch is the only way. NL seems to be doing ok - finding talent and running some big clubs. Lose anyone who can't commit to British meetings whenever they take place. People like you must know how to make bikes cheaper. I for one lose complete interest in a meeting where guests appear. Its a bloody plague these days.

• Like 2

IMO it does need to start from scratch, 2 good things he has done though are sub contract out Team GB and introduce FRN... all be it on the wrong nights!

33 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Since taking over as BSPA Chairman he made a promise that at the end of his first 3 years we'd notice significant (positive) changes.

For me personally I was a massive advocate of his, he couldn't do much wrong.

May be I've just changed, I don't know but in these last 3 seasons I think he's been a massive failure for club and country. 

• Totally and utterly lost touch with the people and listens to the few?
  • Is British Speedway any better now than 2015?
  • What's has Chapman done that's improved Speedway?

It was broken when he started and he had to say something. Who really thought anything would change in the short term. It was a bad time to get the job and the problems in the sport have yet to bottom out but they will at some point. So in answer to the question I'd say neither.

• Like 1

Speedway is a team sport that since the GPs has been repositioned into being an individual one. It is a complete turn off for someone who was attracted to it because of the team ethic. Added to this that foreign leagues now have more power and can attract the best riders over British clubs has also impacted on it. It really does need a total revamp. But that's my view.

I think he came to the role full of enthusiasm but very quickly realised he was banging his head against a brick wall. Yes he's guilty of raising our hopes but IMHO the failure is that of the collective of the old boys club.

• Like 2

Fixtures early in the year not helped by the bad weather but still in chaos now!

37 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

I think he came to the role full of enthusiasm but very quickly realised he was banging his head against a brick wall. Yes he's guilty of raising our hopes but IMHO the failure is that of the collective of the old boys club.

I think that's a total cop out. He's been around speedway long enough that he should fully understand the internal politics. Using that as an excuse for non-delivery is poor.

I think he has done well to introduce fixed race nights, something that British speedway has needed for years, but which people continually said couldn't be done.

There is plenty more still to do, but it is a start.

• Like 1

A total shambles as it has been for many years.

If anyone thinks Buster is running British Speedway are very much mistaken, Rob Godfrey is unfortunately 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Argos said:

If anyone thinks Buster is running British Speedway are very much mistaken, Rob Godfrey is unfortunately 

Buster has made terrible mess of "leading" the BSPA and guiding UK speedway to a better ( well supported future ). If Godfrey is having a major say ( and tipped to take over as Chairperson ) we are well and truly scuppered. They appear not to have one constructive, workable idea between them. The Centenary is in doubt.

Yes, they have utterly lost touch with fans and listen to no-one unless they agree with their ideas.

Edited by waytogo28

From 2019 season onward all clubs should be required to adopt standard rider contracts . Those contracts should set out in clear terms the circumstances where a rider is allowed to prioritise a non-UK commitment, if there is a clash. The scope should be limited but reasonable, and overall the balance weighted to UK commitments. In consideration of the riders agreeing to meet those conditions, the contract should set out guarantees to be met by the employing club and, in the event of the club failing to meet them, the responsibilities of the governing body.

The proposed contracts need to be put to the riders as soon as possible, with a consultation period allowing riders to propose changes to the terms prior to the contracts becoming formally adopted - not at the AGM but well before the end of the current season. Riders should then be given a deadline date for agreeing, with clubs only allowed to "sign" riders who have agreed.

6 hours ago, Hamish McRaker said:

From 2019 season onward all clubs should be required to adopt standard rider contracts . Those contracts should set out in clear terms the circumstances where a rider is allowed to prioritise a non-UK commitment, if there is a clash. The scope should be limited but reasonable, and overall the balance weighted to UK commitments. In consideration of the riders agreeing to meet those conditions, the contract should set out guarantees to be met by the employing club and, in the event of the club failing to meet them, the responsibilities of the governing body.

The proposed contracts need to be put to the riders as soon as possible, with a consultation period allowing riders to propose changes to the terms prior to the contracts becoming formally adopted - not at the AGM but well before the end of the current season. Riders should then be given a deadline date for agreeing, with clubs only allowed to "sign" riders who have agreed.

I thought the ISL deal has done that already? Or you call it fixed race nights.

• Like 1