British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Smith

Keith Chapman - Failure or Success?

I suppose I should have added what I believe are his 2 biggest failures are imo.

1. Was the simplification of the rule book but what we're actually getting is a more confused and weekly amended one

2. The Premiership had a nailed on £1000's league sponsor that he promised

Remember the Promise that they would have a meet the fans meeting each season? They had one and that was it, and that was a disaster 

14 hours ago, f-s-p said:

I thought the ISL deal has done that already? Or you call it fixed race nights.

In effect I suppose so yes. Does it stop a Polish club from re-staging a postponed match on a Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/£Thursday and gazumping riders who would have been engaged elsewhere?

Gazumping is a new word to me... but having read the rule, yes it does stop the polish club from taking a rider from another league if it’s not a polish priority day.

At least in theory it does.

The Poles have a history of flexing their financial muscles so let's see. However, why would they need to, they've already got the most commercially viable speedway nights.

We've got Monday, the worst night of the week that only one PL team prefers or finds viable. We could have accommodated TV, if they insisted on Monday, by having one Monday TV meeting each week. We also got Thursday but somehow decided to race on Wednesdays. If Wednesday is acceptable we would have been far better racing on Wednesday and Thursday but even better to to have stood up against the Poles and argued for Thursday and Friday or, Wednesday and Friday.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 10:04 AM, Daniel Smith said:

Since taking over as BSPA Chairman he made a promise that at the end of his first 3 years we'd notice significant (positive) changes.

For me personally I was a massive advocate of his, he couldn't do much wrong.

May be I've just changed, I don't know but in these last 3 seasons I think he's been a massive failure for club and country. 

• Totally and utterly lost touch with the people and listens to the few?
  • Is British Speedway any better now than 2015?
  • What's has Chapman done that's improved Speedway?

You are really on a downer.... I don't think anyone can do much that fast TBH. Whatever anyone does at the mo, it wont work.  Need to be stripped back, with an independent body coming in.

It's not just Chapman to blame,don't think there is any trust among Present Promoters.Like others have said it need Independant body to sort things out.Unfortunately that will never happen IMO .

• Like 1

Seems to be a bit like Venezuela and it's re-elected leader ( with a vision for change ). The last five years weren't so bad and now we can go on slowly changing things for the next five. Is there about 46% of the fans from 1999 left on the terraces? Or do we wish there were so many? people are not starving for food here but many fans of speedway are hungry for a better balanced, well run sport that takes some account of the fans and what they hope and dream for. Yes, not unlike the hopes and dreams of Venzuelan's. They were ( are ) a cash rich country but were badly led and mis-managed ( watch out that Jeremy Corbyn doesn't do the same here!  ). Of course Buster Chapman isn't to blame for the whole sorry mess but he has made it worse ( along with other promoters ) with ill judged poorly thought through decisions ( e.g. even now with FRN ).

With this ISL crap I’ve heard that the FIM is now following/controlling where the riders ride more closely. Last year you took a starting permit from your FMN and raced where you were taken to race. Now you take that permit from FIM for 40€ and they apparently register you in to the system. I dont know how it all works, but would ASSUME that this is how they control teams and leagues to stick to their own priority dates. So in theory, muscle flexing dont mean anything, as the riders are registered and all leagues have their own days.