British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

British Final 11th June 2018 at Belle Vue

7 hours ago, Hel'n'Back said:

Glad we watched it live then.... No doubt they'll be repeats..

If anyone knows when the repeat will be please alert us.

What a special meeting, and I am sure majority if not all the riders will remember that as a special meeting too. Hardly a race without some high form of excitement. 

Well done to Lambert, a clean sheet all night on such a great race track has to be applauded. Bewley did well to pull it together, after 3 rides he looked like he wouldn’t make the top 6. What a turn around. Amazing. 

A “well done” to Cookie too. He’s had a rough time just recently, signs last night he may have turned the corner and getting back to his former self. That will be good for GB racing future cause you need some maturity around.

It looks good for Steve Wirral too. Obviously tired last night after his injury, he will soon be in the mix.

and good to see the more mature riders in the mix, Scotty and Harris. Vital for the youngsters progress, all the experience they have to offer.

My final words got to Chris Morton and Dave Gordon. They had a dream and made it come true, many years of struggling but look at the result..... a fantastic racing track which must be one of the best in the world. Just think what fantastic races that track is going to give us in the future. Hats off to Morton and Gordon, amazing work guys.

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 4

Well done Robert, best rider in league, and to go unbeaten against the home riders.

Pity TaI wasn't there.

What was attendance?

Edited by auntie doris

8 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Well done Robert, best rider in league, and to go unbeaten against the home riders.

Pity TaI wasn't there.

*British rider ;)

Difficult to say best rider in the League when the World Champ rides in the League :D

• Like 1

An excellent meeting in every way.

Interestingly it did show the real value of having a final.

Under a five-ride top scorer wins method Robert was so far ahead that he wouldn't have needed his fifth ride. It would have been all over very early. Having the final kept the climax element alive to heat 22 and the semi also meant that ALL the races mattered for places as well. This contributed a lot to the excitement.

The track and riders were great but somethings get missed in the moment and it is worth noting that getting the racing formula right for big events is really crucial too.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

If anyone knows when the repeat will be please alert us.

It’s being repeated today at 12.30 on BT Sport 2

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

For the record No false starts in 21 heats

Yes, I spotted that too. And it looked as if there was no movement at the tapes at all, no twitches. Well done the riders.

MORE excitement in 20 minutes of speedway than 20 hours of F1. Shame there isn't a harbour adjacent to the NSS where we could park our multi-million pound yachts:party:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

While I have my reservations regarding a Final to decide the Champion it does make it better for the fans,what I would say though is that the Wildcard for Cardiff should not be decided on 1 race.We want the BEST British rider there if possible and it shouldn't be decided on  the 1 race.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

MORE excitement in 20 minutes of speedway than 20 hours of F1. Shame there isn't a harbour adjacent to the NSS where we could park our multi-million pound yachts:party:

Well, you could probably rent a barge in Canal Street ...

Even rider's who could not win the meeting in the later stages was still racing .. brilliant advert for our sport .well done Robert you where superb  

Just now, ray c said:

Even rider's who could not win the meeting in the later stages was still racing .. brilliant advert for our sport .well done Robert you where superb  

Indeed they were ... and having the semi for the 3rd to 6th scorers helps immensely in keeping the excitement of those points really mattering as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

You have underestimated it, Philip.   More excitement in 20 minutes of speedway then 200 hours of F1.

Reading the review of the latest F1 GP, the Canadian, it was all over after the first turn.  Like you, I can only think its the glamour that attracts so many. No matter how many times F1 tweaks the regulations I cant see racing improving any time soon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grand Central said:

Indeed they were ... and having the semi for the 3rd to 6th scorers helps immensely in keeping the excitement of those points really mattering as well.

Yes, you could see the by the look on Schleins face when Bewley passed to win heat 20. Schlein knew his night had ended.