British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

British Final 11th June 2018 at Belle Vue

23 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Yes, Rory Schlein is a "fake" Brit as he is not a British citizen. He rides on a British licence and is a UK resident. Although the Speedway Star does say this week that he has given up on the option of riding for Australia. That does not make him British. No way should he have been given the Cardiff British GP wildcard place had he won last night. If he said I would not take it up if I won it, now that would be much more gracious.

At least he turns up to ride  in the british final unlike a certain superstar who wants his own way or i aint playing !

• Haha 1

i put it into the planner on my ordinary sky+box and it recorded fine,always do that with speedway give it 30mins start then start viewing and ff thro all the adverts

Whilst Dan has a long way to go especially around "trick tracks" such as a Lakeside, clearly on the more open faster circuits the kid is exceptionally quick, possibly helped by his small size and lack of extra weight, I would love to see him as a Grand Prix wild card on one of the pacey tracks to see just how much he could shake things up, I actually think he would be a stronger rider currently than his team mate Craig Cook in the series.

Robert Lambert is flying at the moment and his confidence must be sky high, deserved winner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aces51 said:

My point was within 3 years of first sitting on a speedway bike. I'm not sure about John Louis, if I remember correctly he was about 29 when he first rode competitively and what a great rider he was but I don't know when he had his first attempts at riding, Michael Lee was certainly riding long before he was 16 and Peter Collins was in the same category.

Dan's first competitive race was at the start of 2016, he was injured, I think in July of that year, which ended his season, had a full season last year and obviously has ridden this season. If you add it up he has about 2 years experience of competitive racing.

I believe Louis purchased his first bike and equipment in the Autumn of 1969, and went to as many training schools as he could over the winter before taking his first competitive ride in 1970. I take your point about Lee, i actually rode at Mildenhall with him when he was only 15. 

Dan has certainly exploded on the scene in a short space of time, and hopefully he will go on to become a world class rider like PC, Lee and Louis. Don't see any reason why he can't go on to great things...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Over 20,000 on a Tuesday night for my first British final at west ham in 1970!

Times have changed dramatically since 1970 and its difficult to make a real comparison with then.

If we'd had such media as this in 1970 someone might have commented that it was difficult to get too many more than 20,000 to West Ham on a Tuesday night and received a reply:

'Over 40,000 at a midweek meeting I attended in the early 1950s.'

3 minutes ago, GregoryM said:

Times have changed dramatically since 1970 and its difficult to make a real comparison with then.

If we'd had such media as this in 1970 someone might have commented that it was difficult to get too many more than 20,000 to West Ham on a Tuesday night and received a reply:

'Over 40,000 at a midweek meeting I attended in the early 1950s.'

That may be true, but the 1970's was a brilliant era, speedway wise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cityrebel said:

That may be true, but the 1970's was a brilliant era, speedway wise.

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more.

fantastic night of speedway and a deserved winner in robert lambert well done young man , also credit to young mr bewley i shall follow his career with great hope .

sure I read somewhere speedway was scheduled on btsports 3 but was switched to btsports 1 if that clears anything up for sky viewers/bt sports

4 hours ago, g13webb said:

When speedway is this good , it is very good,      but so can other motorsports.             

Wouldn't it have been a travesty had Lambert not won last nights final.    Head and shoulders above the rest , and 4 points clear of his nearest rival,  any other winner would have been laughable.     This format of one Final Race makes the evening  a mockery in finding  the real winner.    If they persist in having a final race then let it be added to the scores they won in the heats.... 

I feel the same about the play offs tbh where a team finishing 4th umpteen points behind the table toppers can be crowned champions. Strange how many people who decry the British final format or the SoN format are big advocates of the play offs, where the same formula is used, in effect losers cwn end up overall winners.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bunce said:

Fabulous meeting, the best I have seen for years, bar none.  Great track,  and every rider was prepared to give it a go. Too many highlights to list here, but as a Kings Lynn supporter I was obviously hoping Robert would pull it off. I'm not a supporter of the last heat shoot out formula, I still think if a rider scores a 15 point maximum and beats every other rider in the field, he should be the Champion. Fortunately Robert did win the shoot out, but that last race was breathtaking, its not often I leap up from the sofa and punch the air!

Congratulations to Robert, his team and his family. They certainly deserve this. I'm really looking forward to the Cardiff GP and the prospect of him ruffling a few feathers there. With young Dan Bewley also putting on a great display and even Jason Garrity looking much smoother and controlled last night, I feel the future of British Speedway is in good hands.

My friend and I both said the same thing, it would make the winner unworthy of the GP wild card had Lambert broke down in the final. Cracking final though between Lambert and Bewley.

Congratulations to Robert Lambert 6 straight wins says it all, I get the feeling he will be changing his mind as to where his favourite track is.;)

The NSS should be used as a template for any new tracks in the future, if there is any.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The NSS should be used as a template for any new tracks in the future, if there is any.

It was pretty much a copy of Torun imo. Chris went over to Poland to look at a number of tracks. It's been said that some of the inspiration was through Hyde Road but I don't see that in this circuit. Its almost identical to Torun. 

The bikes these days are so powerful, a big fast open circle makes the racing a lot safer, opening the throttle to the max and rarely letting off gets the best out of the machines now. 

That it's so big just allows the riders to really attack it. There is so much room. 

I've seen some poor meetings at the NSS but that tends to be when there are gaps in ability. The SON was a good example. Put 4 riders on this thing though, with equal ability, and I don't think there is a better race track on the planet. 

A GP here with the curent quality in the line up would be absolutely insane.

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

I set up to record on You View, but when I put the tv on at 8 it wasn't recording and I watched live from heat 5 onwards.

I find this happens a lot with YouView, plus many meetings finishing recording before the programme has actually finished.
BT have sent me three new boxes over the course of the last few weeks, but it hasn't made one iota of difference. 

8 minutes ago, acef said:

It was pretty much a copy of Torun imo. Chris went over to Poland to look at a number of tracks. It's been said that some of the inspiration was through Hyde Road but I don't see that in this circuit. Its almost identical to Torun. 

The bikes these days are so powerful, a big fast open circle makes the racing a lot safer, opening the throttle to the max and rarely letting off gets the best out of the machines now. 

That it's so big just allows the riders to really attack it. There is so much room. 

I've seen some poor meetings at the NSS but that tends to be when there are gaps in ability. The SON was a good example. Put 4 riders on this thing though, with equal ability, and I don't think there is a better race track on the planet. 

A GP here with the curent quality in the line up would be absolutely insane.

Although I've not visited the NSS I can only judge by what I see on TV, but it doesn't look as though it could house a GP size crowd.  I'm believe parking in the area is pretty naff too for a substantial crowd, and how would you fill your day, unlike Cardiff.  But must agree, track wise, it couldn't be bettered.