British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

British Final 11th June 2018 at Belle Vue

1 hour ago, Stoke Potter said:

So there's a "small" track in the UK that gives better (or even as good) racing than what was seen at B.V is there?  Give me a laugh, please name it.

#naysayer #nonbeliever

I've still not seen your solution, please provide it.

I didn't mention anything about quality of racing at small or big tracks.

I said show me the evidence that says 'quality of racing' is the saviour, i.e. 'quality of racing' is what packs the fans in.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:42 PM, Mark said:

Special mention for Scott Nicholls who rode bravely and with great determination.

Agree.  Beat Bewley and headed Lambert for 3 and 3/4 laps.  Was hoping he'd go straight to final but denied by Cook on the line.  At 40 he's not too bad.  Lambert should do well at Cardiff if he gates like he did in SoN.  Hope Bewley gets a ride.

18 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

I didn't mention anything about quality of racing at small or big tracks.

I said show me the evidence that says 'quality of racing' is the saviour, i.e. 'quality of racing' is what packs the fans in.

You stated that I have something against small tracks.  My opinion is that the best racing comes from larger "Belle Vue-esque" tracks. 

There is no track close in this country.  Do you agree or not?  Obviously you don't, which says much about your judgement.

Secondly, accepting your point for a moment that improving racing quality will not help, then, for the 3rd(?) time I ask you what is your solution?

Speedway has problems many and various, to begin to solve the issues you have to correct the FUNDAMENTAL problems . 

In my view the biggest issue is that the majority of the tracks are not conducive to genuine racing/passing.

So there's a "small" track in the UK that gives better (or even as good) racing than what was seen at B.V is there?  Give me a laugh, please name it.

#naysayer #nonbeliever

I've still not seen your solution, please provide it.

Hash tagging words like naysayer and nonbeliever doesn't add to the validity of your argument.

According to your assessment Cardiff at 285 metres is not a "proper " Speedwáy track . Poole , at 299.1 metres is not a proper Speedwáy track in your estimation but if they extended it by one metre it would be according to you.

It may have escaped your notice but we don't have enough  new or developing Speedwáy  tracks in the pipeline to be fussy about size. There are many, many factors that create the spectacle of a Speedwáy meeting, one of the most important being a presentation that heightens the anticipation of the crowd. If the presentation is right and the right atmosphere created poor racing will seem good. To demonstrate that point you only have to look at some of the YouTube clips of the old World Finals. The racing in some of them was very ordinary yet people have fantastic memories of them because of the atmosphere and experience.

I guarantee that if a state of the art stadium , like Belle Vue were built with a 260/270 metr track, properly prepared, with good quality material on it. you would see some very good racing, providing the riders were all of roughly the same standard.   Of course , you don't often get riders of that standard all in the same meeting.

We agree on something at least - hash tagging words adds not 1 iota of credence to my argument but it does serve to wind folk like you up, which is the sole reason I do it!

If you want the absolute best spectacle speedway can offer, to get the real impression of speed, then 260/270 metres won't do it.

However I agree that 300m is a nominal, but you have to set the level somewhere. 
Another problem tending to arise on shorter tracks is shorter race times, all over too quick.  the Plymouth track record is apparently 49.50S, what a joke! 

Larger tracks also address that issue.

We agree on something at least - hash tagging words adds not 1 iota of credence to my argument but it does serve to wind folk like you up, which is the sole reason I do it!

If you want the absolute best spectacle speedway can offer, to get the real impression of speed, then 260/270 metres won't do it.

However I agree that 300m is a nominal, but you have to set the level somewhere. 
Another problem tending to arise on shorter tracks is shorter race times, all over too quick.  the Plymouth track record is apparently 49.50S, what a joke! 

Have you been to Plymouth ? You can see some excellent speedway there despite its size . Likewise Redcar isnt the biggest , but the speedway can be brilliant there . On the other hand , Berwick is one of the biggest and you can watch 15 heats of follow the leader there . To quote the old saying " size doesnt matter " .

• Like 5

Mildenhall too, seen some belting races there back in their PL days.

Edited by Bagpuss

49.5 secs? At some tracks its all as good as over after 15 secs

• Thanks 1

British riders are masters of tight tracks but can struggle on big circuits. Woffy and Ruthless seem to have the big tracks sussed.

With bikes having so much power it looks spectacular on tracks like  Bellevue after all its called speedway. 

I always enjoy my wife's comments when watching speedway. She's a non-fan but watches sometimes and gets into it.

In this meeting she was cheering for 'the little boy', and just kept laughing whenever he rode well. Because he's "a little boy".

11 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Millennial too, seen some belting races there back in their PL days.

Mildenhall?

6 minutes ago, Col said:

Mildenhall?

:D autocorrect makes me look a pillock once again! 

Are people seriously saying that Plymouth, Redcar and Mildenhall could produce a British Final of the standard seen at B.V. on Monday?!!

Some people are starting to get it, others not so it seems..!

1 minute ago, Stoke Potter said:

Are people seriously saying that Plymouth, Redcar and Mildenhall could produce a British Final of the standard seen at B.V. on Monday?!!

Some people are starting to get it, others not so it seems..!

Surely it depends on the standard of the riders involved,quite sure you would see excellent racing at these venues with BF field.

• Like 1

No, just that tracks under 300m can produce good racing.

Nowhere in the UK matches the NSS but others can be very good too.

(to Stoke Potter)

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 2