British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

British Final 11th June 2018 at Belle Vue

17 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

So there's a "small" track in the UK that gives better (or even as good) racing than what was seen at B.V is there?  Give me a laugh, please name it.

#naysayer #nonbeliever

I've still not seen your solution, please provide it.

I would confidently say there is more passing at Scunthorpe (285) than Belle vue,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNs0GTvtck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iESePXpdADM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=102&v=rD85zrXYmQ0

There's more than one way to skin a cat. BV is a very good track but criticising all other tracks for not being the same layout seems a bit weird. There are plenty of decent tracks in the UK.

• Like 3

No chance then, this century, for the chance to pay for a Pay Per View league match at the NSS? A great pity and a lost income stream. It does not need to be of the BT broadcast quality, we all realise and accept that. My debit card is ready if the price is right!

I don’t know why there isn’t a track curators meeting where tips and tricks could be shared with a view to getting all tracks set up with maximum racing lines. 

Some tracks favour gate n go but I think it’s a false economy in the long run as excitement is the key. 

I can’t talk about tracks outside the top league as I don’t visit enough but for me top league tracks could be improved as follows. 

Kings Lynn - material. 

Leicester - shape. 

Poole - maintenance & material. 

Rye - not sure. Let you know next week. 

Somerset - generally ok. 

Swindon - being redone?

Wolves - improved outside line. 

All tracks should have a decent slope. 

20 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

You stated that I have something against small tracks.  My opinion is that the best racing comes from larger "Belle Vue-esque" tracks. 

There is no track close in this country.  Do you agree or not?  Obviously you don't, which says much about your judgement.

Secondly, accepting your point for a moment that improving racing quality will not help, then, for the 3rd(?) time I ask you what is your solution?

Speedway has problems many and various, to begin to solve the issues you have to correct the FUNDAMENTAL problems . 

In my view the biggest issue is that the majority of the tracks are not conducive to genuine racing/passing.

I don't think size has any impact. Shape most certainly does, though. Scunthorpe and Somerset are both very good examples of smaller tracks that ride like big ones. There is a natural curvature and essentially they are circles. That gives the opportunity to keep the throttle open. 

I do partially take your point around smaller tracks though. Wolverhampton is a very well prepared track but you have to back the motorbike in to get around the thing. That's when theses bikes become volatile. The changeover from low to high revs can be challenging. I can vouch for this, I've done it. It essentially renders a track like Monmore Green useless with the modern machine. 

The answer isn't to remove the power from the bikes. That would make the sport amateur on these shores and kill us internationally. 

I do agree that the issue is the tracks. They need to be as explained above to provide better quality racing. I've seen one or two suggestions that quality of racing wouldn't improve crowd sizes. I think that is very silly. The quality of racing is everything. It gives us a product to promote.

At the moment we are promoting (or maybe not, as is the case for many clubs) a boring product, and that is down to the shape of many tracks in the UK and the way the modern speedway bike works. 

Edited by acef

5 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

Are people seriously saying that Plymouth, Redcar and Mildenhall could produce a British Final of the standard seen at B.V. on Monday?!!

Some people are starting to get it, others not so it seems..!

Redcar is a decent track. See post above for reasons. 

Mildenhall similar, nice shape. 

Plymouth does nothing for our youths development and needs shutting down. It's everything that is wrong with speedway in the UK. Its a training track. Like Lakeside. Like Buxton. 

Take your first steps there by all means, but then get on the sweeping, easier tracks to ride. 

That's going to set us up for better success internationally 

Edited by acef

1 hour ago, keepturningleft said:

Additional point, big, wide tracks are generally safer... 

Is that true?Can you back that up,as most if not all the bad or fatal accidents over the past decade have occurred on big wide tracks in Poland,Argentina,Czech or even on German long tracks,as far as I know

7 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

Are people seriously saying that Plymouth, Redcar and Mildenhall could produce a British Final of the standard seen at B.V. on Monday?!!

Some people are starting to get it, others not so it seems..!

No, once again you've created something in your imagination. 

The NSS has the best racing in the country, seems you think everywhere else should close.

22 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

We agree on something at least - hash tagging words adds not 1 iota of credence to my argument but it does serve to wind folk like you up, which is the sole reason I do it!

If you want the absolute best spectacle speedway can offer, to get the real impression of speed, then 260/270 metres won't do it.

However I agree that 300m is a nominal, but you have to set the level somewhere. 
Another problem tending to arise on shorter tracks is shorter race times, all over too quick.  the Plymouth track record is apparently 49.50S, what a joke! 

Larger tracks also address that issue.

You would not be a fan of my local track!

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

No, once again you've created something in your imagination. 

The NSS has the best racing in the country, seems you think everywhere else should close.

He's a Clay Head, imagination runs wild

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

Finally you admit it!  Well done.
The NSS is the best.  Every other track should try to emulate (not copy!) that superior level of racing.  That will be done by changing track sizes/shapes over a period of time.

Any new track built should be required to be BV-type spec. 

Anyone wanting to create a polo mint track is doing it for one reason, money.  Doing things on the cheap is never a good approach.

Looking at the bigger picture, do you think tracks shoe-horned into greyhound stadia have any future beyond the medium term?  How many years has Greyhound racing realistically got left?

I don't agree that there are plenty of decent tracks in this country, most are flawed in one respect or other. 
I also acknowledge it isn't just about size, Berwick and Sheffield generally produce little passing.  As I've said before, size, shape, width, material. banking, and prep are all key.

Red Flag, you've assumed I'm a clay head, that might not be the case...

12 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

I don't agree that there are plenty of decent tracks in this country, most are flawed in one respect or other. 
I also acknowledge it isn't just about size, Berwick and Sheffield generally produce little passing.  As I've said before, size, shape, width, material. banking, and prep are all key.

All of the existing tracks could provide decent speedway racing if the riders were mounted on more suitable, less BHP, bikes. We are led to believe that this is being looked into, hopefully quickly, so that restricted power bikes are on track in the UK in 2019. This does not need to be new, different bikes costing the earth.