British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

British Final 11th June 2018 at Belle Vue

Garrity looked to be riding in a more controlled way. He used to overcook it too easily but last night I noticed he had lost that habit. Maybe he will actually turn his undoubted ability into being a high quality rider but of course he needs to do this on tighter tracks as well. It's not too late for him to get into the new Team GB setup. 

10 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

You have underestimated it, Philip.   More excitement in 20 minutes of speedway then 200 hours of F1.

Reading the review of the latest F1 GP, the Canadian, it was all over after the first turn.  Like you, I can only think its the glamour that attracts so many. No matter how many times F1 tweaks the regulations I cant see racing improving any time soon.

ALSO Hamilton and others saying that they had to preserve their tyres in Monaco because a pit stop would put them behind back markers when it would be impossible le to overtake. 

• Like 1

Was there last night and it was one of the best meetings I can ever remember.  Going to re-watch all again later

13 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

ALSO Hamilton and others saying that they had to preserve their tyres in Monaco because a pit stop would put them behind back markers when it would be impossible le to overtake. 

how I wish that the sport had a Bernie Ecclestone, Eddie Hearn or a Frank Warren at the helm, our sport is a untapped fountain of excitement.

• Like 1

Congratulations to Robert Lambert, a deserved title and best wishes for Cardiff in July

It really was a brilliant meeting ,what a wonderfull race track that is,big,fast and wide open space is just how speedway should be,give the riders the chance to race and race they will

Got to say also how good Natalie Quirk is for Btsport,really professional,and is great on the interviews,i thought all who were interviewed came across extemely well to

Well done to all involved

I can only echo the comments already made. A superb meeting with top quality racing and a brilliant atmosphere. Robert Lambert a deserved winner. He showed just how much he has moved on this year with some exceptional racing and a determination to win. Dan Bewley, what a talent, I can't recall another rider who has got to Dan's present level in such a short time. It is less than 3 years since he first sat on a speedway bike. Craig Cook, struggling by his own standards but showed the grit and determination to keep accumulating the points and to end up on the podium. I hope this can be the start of his return to form.

Howarth had his best meeting by far at the NSS, Garrity showed that he can put together 5 good races without making silly mistakes and Nicholls had his moments, as did many others.

As OveFundinFan said, we owe a huge debt to to David Gordon and Chris Morton who worked so hard for so long to provide us with this remarkable track and stadium. It is a sadness to me that, for whatever reasons, they were unable to enjoy the fruits of their achievements.

Like many others, it was disappointing to get home and discover that the meeting had not been recorded on my Sky box. I know I can record the repeat today but when I've seen the meeting live I actually prefer to see the full recording with all of the comments and interviews, not just the highlights condensed into 2 hours. 

4 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

I can only echo the comments already made. A superb meeting with top quality racing and a brilliant atmosphere. Robert Lambert a deserved winner. He showed just how much he has moved on this year with some exceptional racing and a determination to win. Dan Bewley, what a talent, I can't recall another rider who has got to Dan's present level in such a short time. It is less than 3 years since he first sat on a speedway bike. Craig Cook, struggling by his own standards but showed the grit and determination to keep accumulating the points and to end up on the podium. I hope this can be the start of his return to form.

Howarth had his best meeting by far at the NSS, Garrity showed that he can put together 5 good races without making silly mistakes and Nicholls had his moments, as did many others.

As OveFundinFan said, we owe a huge debt to to David Gordon and Chris Morton who worked so hard for so long to provide us with this remarkable track and stadium. It is a sadness to me that, for whatever reasons, they were unable to enjoy the fruits of their achievements.

Like many others, it was disappointing to get home and discover that the meeting had not been recorded on my Sky box. I know I can record the repeat today but when I've seen the meeting live I actually prefer to see the full recording with all of the comments and interviews, not just the highlights condensed into 2 hours. 

John Louis was a 1972 WTC winner and 5th in the 1972 World Final in only his third year of riding speedway. Michael Lee was a WTC winner and British Champion in 1977 in his third year. Dan is a great prospect but he's not at the level Louis and Lee were after 3 years, at the moment...

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

I just wonder how many people were affected by this as the whole meeting recorded on my SkyQ box in HD perfectly OK last night. I set it to record a few days ago.

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

MORE excitement in 20 minutes of speedway than 20 hours of F1. Shame there isn't a harbour adjacent to the NSS where we could park our multi-million pound yachts:party:

Now on THIS occasion, I agree with you 100%:)

15 minutes ago, blupanther said:

John Louis was a 1972 WTC winner and 5th in the 1972 World Final in only his third year of riding speedway. Michael Lee was a WTC winner and British Champion in 1977 in his third year. Dan is a great prospect but he's not at the level Louis and Lee were after 3 years, at the moment...

My point was within 3 years of first sitting on a speedway bike. I'm not sure about John Louis, if I remember correctly he was about 29 when he first rode competitively and what a great rider he was but I don't know when he had his first attempts at riding, Michael Lee was certainly riding long before he was 16 and Peter Collins was in the same category.

Dan's first competitive race was at the start of 2016, he was injured, I think in July of that year, which ended his season, had a full season last year and obviously has ridden this season. If you add it up he has about 2 years experience of competitive racing.

Fabulous meeting, the best I have seen for years, bar none.  Great track,  and every rider was prepared to give it a go. Too many highlights to list here, but as a Kings Lynn supporter I was obviously hoping Robert would pull it off. I'm not a supporter of the last heat shoot out formula, I still think if a rider scores a 15 point maximum and beats every other rider in the field, he should be the Champion. Fortunately Robert did win the shoot out, but that last race was breathtaking, its not often I leap up from the sofa and punch the air!

Congratulations to Robert, his team and his family. They certainly deserve this. I'm really looking forward to the Cardiff GP and the prospect of him ruffling a few feathers there. With young Dan Bewley also putting on a great display and even Jason Garrity looking much smoother and controlled last night, I feel the future of British Speedway is in good hands.

28 minutes ago, mike1944 said:

I just wonder how many people were affected by this as the whole meeting recorded on my SkyQ box in HD perfectly OK last night. I set it to record a few days ago.

I have the Sky HD box, if that makes a difference but there were certainly a number of people on Facebook complaining about it last night. 

Well deserved winner in Robert Lambert looking forward to seeing him at Cardiff. A brilliant meeting , Belle Vue produces some great racing

Closely followed by our very own Pocket Rocket, take a bow Dan Bewley you have a fantastic future ahead , made even sweeter knocking the fake Brit Rory Schlein out in the semi's :party:

Hopefully enough to get a Reserve place at Cardiff :approve:

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, mike1944 said:

I set up to record on You View, but when I put the tv on at 8 it wasn't recording and I watched live from heat 5 onwards.

Yes, Rory Schlein is a "fake" Brit as he is not a British citizen. He rides on a British licence and is a UK resident. Although the Speedway Star does say this week that he has given up on the option of riding for Australia. That does not make him British. No way should he have been given the Cardiff British GP wildcard place had he won last night. If he said I would not take it up if I won it, now that would be much more gracious.

• Like 1