British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

British Final 11th June 2018 at Belle Vue

11 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

It is!

Maybe people are finally waking up to this.  Rules on track sizes/shapes need to be changed.

Yes, definitely. Close down a host of clubs is certainly the way forward.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Many British tracks are far to narrow going into and coming out of the bends, mainly because of the constraints of other sports at those venues. Not enough have multiple racing lines where riders don't have to form an orderly queue and the end of each straight.

Certainly the case at Berwick as most supporters would agree,racing would be fantastic at Shielfield with afew metres alteration to the inside line into the bends,sadly it will never happen in most people's opinion.The frustrating thing is that it must be one of the biggest pitches in football regarding dimensions.

Edited by Fromafar

8 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

It is!

Maybe people are finally waking up to this.  Rules on track sizes/shapes need to be changed.

Or change the rules to less powerful bikes? It must be technically possible to restrict the power output of existing bikes? It seems either that or changing the tracks , which is even less feasible . If we go on as we are, speedway in the UK will peter out through lack of support within five years.

34 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Or change the rules to less powerful bikes? It must be technically possible to restrict the power output of existing bikes? It seems either that or changing the tracks , which is even less feasible . If we go on as we are, speedway in the UK will peter out through lack of support within five years.

THAT is being seriously looked at

21 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THAT is being seriously looked at

Is that throughout the speedway world or a different bike for UK tracks?

9 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Yes, definitely. Close down a host of clubs is certainly the way forward.

Yes, in exactly the same way that compulsory air fences shut down the vast majority of clubs... 

Incidentally nobody is saying it would be easy or simple but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

Done properly in an organised, structured manner over a medium range timescale it would actually be the saviour of Birtish Speedway rather than the opposite that you and your naysayer mates like to spout.  I'm not sure I've heard your solution to improve the racing spectacle? 

Changing the power of the bikes, while having potential benefits in other respects, does nothing to address the fundamental problem that British Speedway faces, i.e. most tracks are not suited to the type of racing (proper Speedway) seen at Belle Vue and the SON over the weekend...

Change the rules on new tracks immediately, any new track should be designed to what I'll refer to as a "Belle Vue" spec.  Before the naysayers chirp again, this does not mean they need to be identical but they should be big and wide with sweeping bends, minimum length 300m.

I think he was being sarcastic.....

• Like 1

The point hes making is that no tracks closed through the introduction of air fences

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I think he was being sarcastic.....

Well he should have put on a sarcastic emoji.:rolleyes:

Edited by tyretrax

6 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

Yes, in exactly the same way that compulsory air fences shut down the vast majority of clubs... 

Incidentally nobody is saying it would be easy or simple but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

Done properly in an organised, structured manner over a medium range timescale it would actually be the saviour of Birtish Speedway rather than the opposite that you and your naysayer mates like to spout.  I'm not sure I've heard your solution to improve the racing spectacle? 

Changing the power of the bikes, while having potential benefits in other respects, does nothing to address the fundamental problem that British Speedway faces, i.e. most tracks are not suited to the type of racing (proper Speedway) seen at Belle Vue and the SON over the weekend...

Change the rules on new tracks immediately, any new track should be designed to what I'll refer to as a "Belle Vue" spec.  Before the naysayers chirp again, this does not mean they need to be identical but they should be big and wide with sweeping bends, minimum length 300m.

Perhaps if you had any evidence that the racing spectacle actually brought in the crowds...

You clearly have a chip on your shoulder about smaller tracks. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, g13webb said:

Both John Louis and Michael Lee had a scrambling up bringing.   Andy Lee  had hoped Michael would follow him into the world of Moto-Cross, but he choose speedway.  John Louis was an accomplished Moto-crosser for many years. Riding from an early age , mostly in the Eastern Counties he attained a high standard and was a regular winner.  He worked as store Manager in Dave Bickers Motorbike shop in Ipswich.    It has been reported he didn't start speedway until in his late 20's,   but he was no stranger to competition.    An immensely talented Motorcyclist ....

Scrambling's lost was Speedway's gain...       As it happened other scramblers followed Louis lead and moved into speedway...         

Motocross riders switching to speedway.....   didn't Richie Worrall and Steve Worrall also come from a motocross background.  And Steve Schofield was in grasstrack.

What''s incredible about Dan Bewley is he seems to have just jumped on a speedway bike as a novice and is a naturally gifted rider.

2 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Perhaps if you had any evidence that the racing spectacle actually brought in the crowds...

You clearly have a chip on your shoulder about smaller tracks. 

So there's a "small" track in the UK that gives better (or even as good) racing than what was seen at B.V is there?  Give me a laugh, please name it.

#naysayer #nonbeliever

I've still not seen your solution, please provide it.