British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scorpions vs Lakeside 25.5.18

3 hours ago, Fozzie4388 said:

Broken Tib and Fib for Stefan in his left leg. Absolutely gutted for him

Major blow to Stefan & the Scorpions. Get well soon. As the Scorpions are doing well, the riders are being snapped up to cover in the Premiership & do guest appearances. All well & good as it keeps them sharp and the extra money helps, but it can come at a cost.

Commiserations to Stefan.... what bad luck after being in great form for Scunthorpe and being top scorer twice for Poole whom he had recently signed a 28 day contract.

stefan is a gentleman and always a pleasure to speak to

Edited by Gunner85
  • Like 1

Absolutely  wounded for Stefan he as  been on fire for us ,that's why Poole snapped him up from his good form for the Scorpions wish you well Stef and hope to see you at the EWR soon ps is anyone doing a judpst giving page for him

Yet another blow to the Scorpions as Jason has pulled out of Fridays meeting.. understandable circumstances though as he needs to recover. Im sure Jason and the supporters would rather have a 100% fit Jason rather than a 60% fit Jason

13423736_1806798256209482_62814467795017

Jason Garrity
8 hrs · 

In pain today going to have few days off let it all close up best thing don't want to be out any longer than if I ride tomorrow will set me back

Looks like R/R at 2 for both teams tomorrow night with Morley getting Injured at Redcar tonight in an incident Jonas B Andersen got excluded for i'm sure I've seen that somewhere before.

Weather forecast looks pretty poor, might be an early  call off anyway.

Gutted for Stefan who was having a great season up till then, and such a nice lad too. Just love his one liners at the after meeting conferences, very funny and cutting. Get well soon.

11 minutes ago, Fozzie4388 said:

Looks like R/R at 2 for both teams tomorrow night with Morley getting Injured at Redcar tonight in an incident Jonas B Andersen got excluded for i'm sure I've seen that somewhere before.

Very harsh on Jonas tonight - got some unexpected grip coming out of the second bend and lifted violently. Very unfortunate for Morley that he was outside him.

Looks like its season ended for Stefan absolutely gutted for him. We cannot replace such a pivotal rider in the team and further wrecks our season that truly promised so much. The team that wins this title will not be the best team ? It's the team "left standing" at the end of the day !. This incidence of serious injury in Speedway has reached epidemic proportions and personally I would call for an Independent Public Enquiry into the Sports safety record. Not because I'm a pedantic busy body but because I actually care about the sport and the people in it. There is a reason for the injuries suffered (some career ending) and why some riders are choosing to finish with it altogether. Ex Scorpion Matt Williamson immediately springs to mind deciding to quit Edinburgh this week. It's four things basically 1.the tracks 2.the riders 3.the bikes or 4. a mix of all 3 !?. As it is the sport is unsustainable there are simply not enough riders to man the Leagues ?

In the meantime we still have a meeting today and some "patching up" to do immediately. A guest and r/r for Stefan seems likely. But with three others carrying knocks I can see Lakeside causing us a few problems ? 

Looking ahead my immediate thought was to send Ryan an SOS surely to God given our dire need and he being a Scunthorpe Speedway "business asset" we can get the UK Visa folk to see sense. After all they let in through customs unchecked! ?. Or failing that send an SOS to Ellis Perks who was really making strides last season at Redcar but has been left on the sidelines so far this season. 

We have to do something but in the long run there needs to be a full review into the Sport (I think Moto GP did a similar thing and came out better for it). If it means looking at restricting the bikes in some way to make them more manageable on unpredictable tracks then lets do it !. It certainly can't spoil the spectacle? Much rather that tan  have hour long delays while riders are carted off to hospital !  (and no I don't mind standing through it) I just dont' want to have to ! which only  means a rider is seriously hurt. Or to end up in the club house "presser" with our team all sat there looking like the A&E queue at Scunthorpe General ! 

Edited by the outsider

Having a somewhat 'helicopter view' of speedway with no team of my own to support (sob) gotta say it's tough luck for Poole & Scunny, neither of whom can afford to lose another rider.  But gotta feel for Stefan after returning from injury I saw him v Worky, can't make this week, he looked good & and joint top scored also Poole were poss leaning toward giving him a more permanent team spot.    Over a season there would always be the odd broken arm or leg, neither of which are any fun as I can confirm having broken both in the past (!), but 'only' maybe one or two thigh bone injuries, though of course one is too many.  There does seem to be more broken thigh injuries already,  traditionally and sadly usually a season-ending injury....

Edited by martinmauger
grammar 2x

I echo the sentiments above with regards to best wishes for Stefan. Obviously there will always be opinions on what is the reason for the amount of injuries, are they actually increasing or just better publicised etc but personally i suspect the main reason for the number sustained at the moment is down to pressure on riders. Pressure from fans, pressure from promotors and pressure from themselves. All of these need points and if there are no points scored there is no team place and no earnings. The sport is a lot more cut throat now with regard to team changes. Riders are being pressured to take chances they may not have previously done, make moves they may not always wish to and ride machinery that is often unpredictable because if a rider isn't prepared to do that there will be 10 more waiting that will.

Early  call off 2 riders injured and a couple carrying knocks surprised to see it off on such a good track!

8 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Early  call off 2 riders injured and a couple carrying knocks surprised to see it off on such a good track!

The forecast for today was intermittent showers from midnight last night, all the way trough to 3pm. After getting up this morning to find paths & roads wet through, the forecast proved to be true but hopeful that it was not too bad at the track. The rain has just got heavier 4 miles from the track & the forecast has changed.

http://www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/now_and_next.asp?zipcode=scunthorpe&locationID=56905&lat=53.6&lon=-0.7

After agreeing to your cancelation of last Saturdays meeting v the Scorpions as you would have had a weakened team & not a great choice of guests due to commitments elsewhere, the racing could have been sub standard for your supporters. If you want to see weakened teams & sub standard racing, all well & good, but, please, put away those rose tinted glasses.

36 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

After agreeing to your cancelation of last Saturdays meeting v the Scorpions as you would have had a weakened team & not a great choice of guests due to commitments elsewhere, the racing could have been sub standard for your supporters. If you want to see weakened teams & sub standard racing, all well & good, but, please, put away those rose tinted glasses.

Takes u back to the good old days when mr  godfrey put us ofc when his  number 1 was going to be missing , time for an independant official to call meetings off so soon in the day .