British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
idh

Somerset v Belle Vue 23/05/18

A healthy crowd turned up for this meeting on a balmy summers evening at the OTA. Not often can one have a totally comfortable evening there as there is usually a breeze or two either whistling in from the nearby sea or from across the levels and the M5. 

In the past the weather has played havoc with Craig Cooks’s Recent performances at the OTA. Too wet, or even too windy, he has cut a miserable figure. Tonight however, he changed that with a classy performance. Looking out for his team mates where possible and although chasing Jason Doyle hard for all 3 of his races against the World Champion, he could not make an impression, despite looking far quicker than him. Cookie probably did sneak a roller or two, but was great entertainment.  

Doyle was impervious. He surely created his own groove around the track as not once did he leave the inside line. He simply blasted from the gate, hit the front and stayed there for all of his five races. 

As Najjer stated, curiously, he certainly didn’t look as fast as Cook or arguably Fricke. In heat 6, both Fricke and Etheridge caught and almost passed the world champ. At one stage, both were almost queuing to pass him, but it appeared his track craft and knowledge kept him in front. 

A classic heat 9 that saw a pumped up Charles Wright come from last to second which culminated in a superb last bend pass on Fricke, Wrighty then completed a celebratory fist pumping lap. 

Heat 15 was even better. Doyle once again hit the front with an electrifying start and once again seemed to almost hold up the following pack who all snapped at his heels throughout. Holder, who really does look like the signing of the season, not for the first time missed the gate by a country mile, but chased down Fricke before executing a lovely inside pass. 

A note of credit for young Bewley who really looks like a find.  His development this season has been amazing and he once again looked the part with two fine wins.  Aces fans will be disappointed in the performance of Drodz, whose future with the Manchester club must now be in real danger  

Finally, a pat on the pack for the Somerset management who ensured the resurrection of the old track!  Thankfully, we saw the familiar terrific racing, rather than the processional stuff served up for the first 5 heats or so in recent weeks.  The track looked in excellent shape and back where it should be as one of Britain’s best racing circuits. .

• Like 6

Great report as usual ER, I asked for a top performance from the skipper and it looks like he delivered. Well done him and the rest of the lads. 

I wasn't expecting a point so am happy with that but getting so close to the win is frustrating, I always felt we would be a 6 man team on the road with Drozdz struggling, dosent bode well for visits to Wolves and Rye.

Another frustrating night for Aces fans as we saw more points squandered due to our inability to adequately cover for our injured skipper. 

This was the most entertaining of the away meeting I’ve seen this year but I feared the worst after a very uneventful eight heats. 

The inside line was extremely strong but this led to some interesting riding as riders queued up on the line. Some tremendous skill was shown whilst they tried to avoid the guy in front at the same time as keeping in contact with the white line. Max appeared to have breaks fitted. This parking of the bike did leave you occasionally vulnerable to an outside past though these were few and far between. 

Jason showed his experience by setting his bike up to get of the start and then sticking to the white line as he knew it was safe. 

Another enjoyable visit to the Oaktree Arena on a lovely evening for speedway. Glad we got a point but the feeling remains that all these dropped points will see a play off spot just out of reach come the end of the qualifiers. 

I think the Somerset promotion deserve a thumbs up after having issues with the track they seem to have got it sorted quickly unlike many other tracks who just let any issues carry on. Wish I lived closer to the OTA , always enjoy my visits

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bruno said:

I think the Somerset promotion deserve a thumbs up after having issues with the track they seem to have got it sorted quickly unlike many other tracks who just let any issues carry on. Wish I lived closer to the OTA , always enjoy my visits

Yes absolutely, credit where credit is due.

It was a strange night with some really good racing albeit not the masses of passing we have become used to and almost now expect. It just shows you don't need loads of passing to make for exciting close racing. Heat 15 last night was the best example of that.

On a side note, lets hope Richard Lawson gets going soon. He's been relatively poor at home for us this season so far.

• Like 1

A great nights entertainment, well done to the Rebels on the win and the Aces thoroughly deserved a point, they have a fine team again and will be much stronger when Steve W returns.

A special mention to Todd Kurtz who covered admirably for BWD and to James Shanes who was on the pace throughout - if only that boy could make a start.

Finally well done to the promotion for sorting the track out, this must have been a major concern and let’s hope it’s a sign of things to come and more great racing is ahead over the summer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Najjer said:

On a side note, lets hope Richard Lawson gets going soon. He's been relatively poor at home for us this season so far.

I think he might be best moved away from number five at present as like you said he hasn't quite got it together at the OTA yet this season. Has had a couple of 'Ted Rogers' scores in last two weeks! #DustyBin

I would move Jack or Wrighty to 5 at home for next meeting to give him a chance to sort it out. Rode well at number 4 last season.

On 5/23/2018 at 11:58 PM, EnglishRoundabout said:

Aces fans will be disappointed in the performance of Drodz, whose future with the Manchester club must now be in real danger  

The track looked in excellent shape and back where it should be as one of Britain’s best racing circuits. .

Bit harsh on Drozdz, he got injured in his second meeting in the UK (Swindon) and spent the next 28 days out of UK speedway, he is still finding his feet in this country and after a handful of meetings I think it's to early to pass justified judgement on him. That's my opinion, I respect yours.

Been to the OTA only once and my opinion is that it is a fantastic speedway circuit, I was a neutral on the night and really enjoyed the racing.  

6 hours ago, hyderd said:

Bit harsh on Drozdz, he got injured in his second meeting in the UK (Swindon) and spent the next 28 days out of UK speedway, he is still finding his feet in this country and after a handful of meetings I think it's to early to pass justified judgement on him. That's my opinion, I respect yours.

Been to the OTA only once and my opinion is that it is a fantastic speedway circuit, I was a neutral on the night and really enjoyed the racing.  

Drozdz has got potential,he showed this when he beat Doyle easily in heat1 against Somerset recently at the NSS.He over rides at times and picks the wrong lines but he is still learning and I would stick with him.

3 hours ago, colin wood said:

Drozdz has got potential,he showed this when he beat Doyle easily in heat1 against Somerset recently at the NSS.He over rides at times and picks the wrong lines but he is still learning and I would stick with him.

No over riding on Wednesday, he was just beyond awful. Probably the worst visiting rider so far this season.

8 minutes ago, Najjer said:

No over riding on Wednesday, he was just beyond awful. Probably the worst visiting rider so far this season.

That's the enigma of modern day speedway.How can a rider be so poor but beat the world champion on a big fast track like BV?

20 minutes ago, colin wood said:

That's the enigma of modern day speedway.How can a rider be so poor but beat the world champion on a big fast track like BV?

Maybe because that was his first sight of the track at Somerset whereas the NSS is similar to the Polish tracks he is used to riding, it wasn't his first meeting at the NSS and he made the gate in heat 1 when he beat Doyle and Cook was behind him helping to keep Doyle in third. 

Edited by Aces51