British Speedway Forum
wealdstone

The continuing decline of Speedway

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:50 PM, cityrebel said:

It wasn't like that at belle vue on Monday morning. There was some tremendous racing to entertain the fans. Unfortunately the vast majority of the tracks are nothing like the NSS.

Unfortunately the odds on another speedway club getting the council to build them a purpose built speedway stadium and a track, the perfect size and shape for modern speedway bikes is none

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New Science said:

Unfortunately the odds on another speedway club getting the council to build them a purpose built speedway stadium and a track, the perfect size and shape for modern speedway bikes is none

That's what many said about Belle Vue when it was first announced that they were negotiating with the council. If more promotions were prepared to do their homework, have the vision and come up with a good business case and then spend the many hours that David Gordon and Chris Morton did in countless meetings with the council and overcoming the many obstacles then who knows what might be achieved. I find it hard to believe that Manchester are the only council in the country that can be persuaded. We just need can do people with the necessary ability.

Look at what the BSPA have done with Redcar over the last week - disgusting, they are destroying speedway at every level.

13 minutes ago, RedcarRacer said:

Look at what the BSPA have done with Redcar over the last week - disgusting, they are destroying speedway at every level.

Would you care to explain exactly what the BSPA have ‘done’ with Redcar?

Edited by NeilWatson

i think he means not letting us have who we want as guests - but rules are rules. Listen when Barker's fit and Jorgensen's in place we'll be ok.

Just now, NeilWatson said:

Would you care to explain exactly what ‘the BSPA have done with Redcar’?

At Newcastle - for starters - not allowing adequate replacements for the Anderson bros, who both made every effort to get to the meeting, but was beyond their control.

Tonight, Thomas Jorgenson could not ride because of illness and seven day ban, forcing to use a NL rider - how is that good for the sport. Jorgenson had a genuine excuse for missing KL meeting, then why ban him if he might be fit? KL would have no issues, sometimes riders can have illnesses that rule them out for 24/48 hours, why ban them?

The BSPA is a complete nonsense and not fit for purpose - try explaining to a new fan, why Redcar had to use Rob Shuttleworth - because the governing body would rather see under-par teams and below par meetings than applying common sense.

The sport doesn't have to die in this country but the BSPA in its current guise does nothing for the sport other than continue to hamstring it at every turn. 

4 minutes ago, ch958 said:

i think he means not letting us have who we want as guests - but rules are rules. Listen when Barker's fit and Jorgensen's in place we'll be ok.

I dont want Barker back, sorry he has been injured but he has been nowhere near good enough and hopefully we will find a replacement in the coming weeks.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RedcarRacer said:

I dont want Barker back, sorry he has been injured but he has been nowhere near good enough and hopefully we will find a replacement in the coming weeks.

Are you ever happy about anything or anybody ? The rules you quote are in place to stop certain malpractices that riders have used in the past. These rules are introduced to make sure there was  penalties if anybody tries in on and that the clubs will pursue everything to make sure the rider completes his obligation to the team. One I can think of was when a rider allegedly had a poor tummy cos of a dodgy burger, when most folks knew that that was a tryon and the rider missed a meeting completed only 11 meetings, and therefore got a final average about a point below that he should have. It is tough at some times, and clubs can be unlucky like in Redcar's situation , but things would be worse if they were to be abolished.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RedcarRacer said:

At Newcastle - for starters - not allowing adequate replacements for the Anderson bros, who both made every effort to get to the meeting, but was beyond their control.

Tonight, Thomas Jorgenson could not ride because of illness and seven day ban, forcing to use a NL rider - how is that good for the sport. Jorgenson had a genuine excuse for missing KL meeting, then why ban him if he might be fit? KL would have no issues, sometimes riders can have illnesses that rule them out for 24/48 hours, why ban them?

The BSPA is a complete nonsense and not fit for purpose - try explaining to a new fan, why Redcar had to use Rob Shuttleworth - because the governing body would rather see under-par teams and below par meetings than applying common sense.

The sport doesn't have to die in this country but the BSPA in its current guise does nothing for the sport other than continue to hamstring it at every turn. 

Each of those decisions complies with the Rule Book (which incidentally is produced and implemented by the SCB not the BSPA).

Whether you think the rules need amending is a different matter entirely.

Its worth noting that the seven-day suspension for sickness/non-speedway injury is a new addition to the Rule Book this year.

I see Tsunami posted while I was typing, he explains the reasoning behind the rules very clearly.

Edited by NeilWatson
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Each of those decisions complies with the Rule Book (which incidentally is produced and implemented by the SCB not the BSPA).

Whether you think the rules need amending is a different matter entirely.

Its worth noting that the seven-day suspension for sickness/non-speedway injury is a new addition to the Rule Book this year.

I see Tsunami posted while I was typing, he explains the reasoning behind the rules very clearly.

I never said or implied that the BSPA rule book was not applied correctly...no doubt it was, but the BSPA rule book is an ass, like the people who wrote it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Are you ever happy about anything or anybody ? The rules you quote are in place to stop certain malpractices that riders have used in the past. These rules are introduced to make sure there was  penalties if anybody tries in on and that the clubs will pursue everything to make sure the rider completes his obligation to the team. One I can think of was when a rider allegedly had a poor tummy cos of a dodgy burger, when most folks knew that that was a tryon and the rider missed a meeting completed only 11 meetings, and therefore got a final average about a point below that he should have. It is tough at some times, and clubs can be unlucky like in Redcar's situation , but things would be worse if they were to be abolished.

The fact you back the rules which produce meetings that could very well kill the sport just confirms what a deluded old chunt you are...

1 minute ago, RedcarRacer said:

The fact you back the rules which produce meetings that could very well kill the sport just confirms what a deluded old chunt you are...

And I think your reply probably confirms certain things about you as well. :approve:

On 5/31/2018 at 11:32 PM, Aces51 said:

That's what many said about Belle Vue when it was first announced that they were negotiating with the council. If more promotions were prepared to do their homework, have the vision and come up with a good business case and then spend the many hours that David Gordon and Chris Morton did in countless meetings with the council and overcoming the many obstacles then who knows what might be achieved. I find it hard to believe that Manchester are the only council in the country that can be persuaded. We just need can do people with the necessary ability.

That was a wonderful achievement, getting the council to build the NSS but the sport of speedway cannot regularly fill it under the operating rules imposed on it by the BSPA. What is the point of having 20 such stadiums dotted around the country if they can't be filled with speedway fans ( new or old ) for every match. It is the promoters collectively that need to be replaced as they have failed for 20 years to "promote" the sport. They sat back when the Sky money rolled in and thought that that solved all of speedway's problems. It is the BSPA who failed to evolve the sport in the right direction. The NSS is not a 50,000 seater it is a less than 5,000 seater and such stadiums are wasted on speedway unless they can be running matches on the day that fans will turn up. Let's hope that other sports can make the NSS a success as a multi sports facility because it seems that speedway can't.

6 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

That was a wonderful achievement, getting the council to build the NSS but the sport of speedway cannot regularly fill it under the operating rules imposed on it by the BSPA. What is the point of having 20 such stadiums dotted around the country if they can't be filled with speedway fans ( new or old ) for every match. It is the promoters collectively that need to be replaced as they have failed for 20 years to "promote" the sport. They sat back when the Sky money rolled in and thought that that solved all of speedway's problems. It is the BSPA who failed to evolve the sport in the right direction. The NSS is not a 50,000 seater it is a less than 5,000 seater and such stadiums are wasted on speedway unless they can be running matches on the day that fans will turn up. Let's hope that other sports can make the NSS a success as a multi sports facility because it seems that speedway can't.

...I draw a slight parallel with Cowley Stadium which I visited only last week and will require tens of thousands of pounds thrown at it to be bring back up to a decent standard. Although he local council are keen to retain it as a leisure/sports complex who would be willing under the present climate to promote speedway at the venue?

Sadly despite all the good intentions I feel that the facility will eventually succumb and end up being re-developed as has happened at Plough Lane.

10 hours ago, RedcarRacer said:

I never said or implied that the BSPA rule book was not applied correctly...no doubt it was, but the BSPA rule book is an ass, like the people who wrote it.

As I said, it is not the BSPA Rule Book - see page 1 of this document

http://www.britishspeedway.co/2018_speedway_regulations_online.pdf