British Speedway Forum
wealdstone

The continuing decline of Speedway

21 hours ago, sharpandroid said:

Have you ever worked somewhere where the people talk continuously about it closing, eventually after several years, even tens of years the place closes.

It's called a self fulfilling prophecy.

This thread is a bit like that.

Why don't those people find something else to do.....

A lot of them have.:(

• Like 4

21 hours ago, moxey63 said:

I'm not kidding myself that speedway forty years ago was perfect either - for in one 1980 fixture  Bobby Schwartz of Reading and Hackney's Finn Thomsen pulled on Aces' jacket as guests in one match - despite both of their teams challenging the Manchester club for the league title! And it happened late enough in the season - mid-September - to have had an influence on the title race. 

Perhaps to avoid this happening there should be a cut off point , say, two thirds of the way through the season when guests cannot be used

• Like 1

On Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at 12:40 PM, sharpandroid said:

Have you ever worked somewhere where the people talk continuously about it closing, eventually after several years, even tens of years the place closes.

It's called a self fulfilling prophecy.

This thread is a bit like that.

Why don't those people find something else to do.....

The self fulfilling prophecy of what we have today is clearly not down to the fans...

Any failing business simply cannot blame the general public for not purchasing it's products..

For the past 20 years or so promoters of Speedway (British Speedway), have been given some fantastic constructive feedback from fans (and more importantly possibly) ex fans who still care..

24/7 Social media has replaced the way a few fans moaned to each other at trackside, getting more and more disillusioned. Or writing the odd letter to the various magazines that do/did cover the sport airing their frustrations at what they were being served up..

As an example, on this thread 'guests' were mentioned as being in the sport for 40 years plus..

Now domestic League Speedway is shown regularly on National TV and Social Media is rife, you simply cannot get away with such nonsense if you are truly serious in trying to attract a wider audience and to entice them to a 'proper sport'..

Many fans, and ex fans, have said this for many years yet (as is their right), British Speedway Promoters have ignored such comments and continued with this policy..

It is irrefutable that the operating and business models of the past 15 to 20 years or so are not fit for purpose as year on year operating costs rise and income dwindles...

And let's be honest, it 100% isn't the fans decision to run with these models...

Nor is it their fault when they highlight, via their opinions, 'the bleedin' obvious'...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Good to read Pearson waxing lyrical in the local paper today regarding the TV match at Wolves this week.  "  The raw noise of the bikes ,the smell of the methanol , and it always looks better with busy terraces, and Monmore always delivers that. In fact Monmore consistently delivers some of the best action on BT sport. While Belle Vue is my favourite Monmore is right up there. All accompanied with a picture of about 12 fans on the home straight. Obviously Nigel has not been to Monmore for a while. In the real world, there is no raw noise anymore, its more of a hum, there is absolutely no smell of methanol, and the terraces are less busy now than they have been in all of  the last 90 years. .And  as for saying Monmore is "right up there with Belle Vue he is really having a laugh, like comparing apples with pears. Belle Vue is outstanding Monmore is average, occasionally at that. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

Why has the speedway 'smell' gone?

It's certainly disappeared, along with most of the fans ...

• Like 1

You do get it now and again but certainly not how it used to be, I'm sure someone on here has explained why 

It is gone because the synthetic oil that is used today has no "smell"

It is sad that this "smell" has gone, it was so very typical for speedway. The clueless younger generation of speedway fans may not even know what we are talking about.

The British public just don't want to go to speedway anymore, it's as simple as that. There is nothing the promoters can do to stop the trend. Most clubs must be hanging on by their fingertips. At lakeside last night, yet another poor crowd turned up to watch an excellent hammers side, probably the best they have had in a few years. On a sunny Saturday evening, The fans still won't go.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, New Science said:

Good to read Pearson waxing lyrical in the local paper today regarding the TV match at Wolves this week.  "  The raw noise of the bikes ,the smell of the methanol , and it always looks better with busy terraces, and Monmore always delivers that. In fact Monmore consistently delivers some of the best action on BT sport. While Belle Vue is my favourite Monmore is right up there. All accompanied with a picture of about 12 fans on the home straight. Obviously Nigel has not been to Monmore for a while. In the real world, there is no raw noise anymore, its more of a hum, there is absolutely no smell of methanol, and the terraces are less busy now than they have been in all of  the last 90 years. .And  as for saying Monmore is "right up there with Belle Vue he is really having a laugh, like comparing apples with pears. Belle Vue is outstanding Monmore is average, occasionally at that. 

The art of "spin"  aka "The Emperor's New Clothes" syndrome. Hell's Bells - All is Well.

Edited by waytogo28
Additional point made

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The British public just don't want to go to speedway anymore, it's as simple as that.

Correct

There is nothing the promoters can do to stop the trend.

Incorrect.

Most clubs must be hanging on by their fingertips. At lakeside last night, yet another poor crowd turned up to watch an excellent hammers side, probably the best they have had in a few years. On a sunny Saturday evening, The fans still won't go.

What do Lakeside do to promote speedway? I live and until recently worked in Swindon. You can go the whole season without see any signs that speedway even exists in the town. Don't get me wrong, the product is now very poor, but don't think it isn't completely within the gift of promoters to address both the quality and attractiveness issues.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MattK said:

Correct

Incorrect.

What do Lakeside do to promote speedway? I live and until recently worked in Swindon. You can go the whole season without see any signs that speedway even exists in the town. Don't get me wrong, the product is now very poor, but don't think it isn't completely within the gift of promoters to address both the quality and attractiveness issues.

I don't think anyone that went to Workington last night or Belle Vue on Friday would say that the product is poor. Mixed is perhaps a better description.

Otherwise, I agree :approve:

16 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The promoters won't do anything to promote if it costs them money.

But that is their choice/problem. Marketing is an integral part of running a business and it can rarely be done on a shoestring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1