British Speedway Forum
wealdstone

The continuing decline of Speedway

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Another trying to rewrite what he has already boasted on here. You thought speedway was good enough when you got in free, but decided to leave it when you are asked to pay. Some speedway fan you are, only interested in a freebee and not paying your way but the sport was good enough for free. Another free loader. 

How do you come to the conclusion that my scrounging helped contribute to the continuing decline of speedway?

Edited by moxey63

52 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

How do you come to the conclusion that my scrounging helped contribute to the continuing decline of speedway?

So you finally admit to it, tosser.

4 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

So you finally admit to it, tosser.

Yes, I admit to it... but answer my question. One fan, free admission for 18 years... but surely not enough to bring speedway down to the state it's now in. But, if you want to call names, I'd give you more credit if it was to one's face. 

55 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Yes, I admit to it... but answer my question. One fan, free admission for 18 years... but surely not enough to bring speedway down to the state it's now in. But, if you want to call names, I'd give you more credit if it was to one's face. 

Times the number of people of your ilk and reasoning and no wonder some clubs went under. Stop digging your hole before you need to speak Aussie.

10 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Times the number of people of your ilk and reasoning and no wonder some clubs went under. Stop digging your hole before you need to speak Aussie.

If it wasn't for people like me - the programme compilers, track staff etc, speedway wouldn't run. Or if clubs had to pay cash to tempt people to do these duties, you as a fan would have to stump up more.

It is a waste of time trying to educate you, but I wasn't actually getting in for "free." I was providing material for a programme that the promoters could overcharge gullible punters to pay for.

Speedway has always existed on this arrangement. So, as you suggest, it wasn't my fault alone for the continuing decline of speedway.

Therefore, old chap, I cannot chat with you any longer. You make my head go all chalkie.

Have a nice day.  

11 hours ago, Tsunami said:

You can't go around blaming freeloaders for the sports decline. You don't like money and that's fine but back then the sport could afford the freeloaders. 

The issues are the paying customers are disappearing. Surely you ain't putting the sports decline on the fans??

As a man who has and maybe still do, work within a club, what do you generally put the lack of fans down too????

The only answer is poor management from the BSPA. If you believe that not to be the case we wait with open ears.

As a recent walk away fan (and I've had some pop's at money too in the past) some of the stuff he posted I can now understand as an outsider. It doesn't and shouldn't stop us from having an opinion as at the end of the day I still love Speedway. All I enjoy now though is the SGP's, World Cups and Ekstraliga. British Speedway just looks amateur, with no value for money for it's supporters. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

You can't go around blaming freeloaders for the sports decline. You don't like money and that's fine but back then the sport could afford the freeloaders. 

The issues are the paying customers are disappearing. Surely you ain't putting the sports decline on the fans??

As a man who has and maybe still do, work within a club, what do you generally put the lack of fans down too????

The only answer is poor management from the BSPA. If you believe that not to be the case we wait with open ears.

As a recent walk away fan (and I've had some pop's at money too in the past) some of the stuff he posted I can now understand as an outsider. It doesn't and shouldn't stop us from having an opinion as at the end of the day I still love Speedway. All I enjoy now though is the SGP's, World Cups and Ekstraliga. British Speedway just looks amateur, with no value for money for it's supporters. 

I'm not Daniel, but it has been a drain on income for years at each club as you will already know. It's a pet hate, and quite rightly so, with most fans on the terraces.

26 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Exactly.

I still love speedway too, more so the history. The link between me stopping attending and this so-called free pass being removed is used as a smear tactic to stain the view of another disillusioned fan. I am just one person. The worry we have is what's happened to the other tens of thousands. Perhaps they had free passes that were whipped away? Some people, the few who still attend, will defend it to the hilt. the likelihood is one day they will become one of us - a used-to-go.

Promoters rise admissions and cut team building limits to balance the books. Hence, one reason we are what we are. 

56 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I'm not Daniel, but it has been a drain on income for years at each club as you will already know. It's a pet hate, and quite rightly so, with most fans on the terraces.

Well, what you do there, instead of standing on the terraces with a face like thunder, like when hearing Mike Ashley isn't selling up, contact your speedway club and volunteer to write a page or two in the matchday programme. Spend thousands of pounds on research material so you can provide fans with a few facts, keep all your statistics up to date so you can be on the ball with what you write, put aside a couple or few hours to get it all down in writing. It is quite easy.

In fact, for a few months, you'll enjoy doing it for free. You get your name in the programme, you know. Then, the novelty will wear off. But let us know how you fair after the first five years or so, see if you still have the inspiration to do it for Jack-all without quitting. I did it for 18 years. Without a complimentary ticket, I'd have done possibly a third of that. You need something to keep you motivated. It's like asking riders to ride for nowt. 

Go on, email Newcastle and ask them. I am sure they'll keep you in mind. Let us know how you get on.

But, if you're successful, please don't mention to any of the track staff that you feel they are on freebies, getting in for nothing despite all the hours they contribute. All they'll do is hand you a shovel and say "get stuck in then." Then you'll have no time to do your programme piece. You'll have a face like thunder then, and for a reason. It is people doing it for a complimentary ticket that helps what is basically an amateur sport tick along.

And, reading between the lines, excuse if I misread, fellow poster Daniel Smith has worked within a club - would he be one of these freeloaders, Tsunami? Your face of anger went to one of embarrassment when he disagreed with you.

Anyway, I won't keep you any longer.

And don't forget, tell Newcastle speedway you're offering to do it for free. You'll still pay at the gate. 

If they turn you down, don't call them "tosser." I can take it, don't know about the fragile geordies.

Edited by moxey63

Another thread rapdly going off topic. The original poster feels that speedway is declining becaise he/she hasn't got a favourite rider. Unlike some of the rubbish we get, this seems to have been a considered and very scientific assessment of the curent problems. Although he presently doesn't have a club, because of his efforts last year, Jan Graversen is my current favourite. 

Rather than all this arguing shouldn't we all be having a favourite rider to get the sport back on track (see what I did there?). I have noticed that, since having a favourite, the sport is noticeably improving, so come on get a favourite and make the sport great again.. 

• Like 1

On Monday, July 02, 2018 at 9:13 PM, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I haven’t looked into the figures but at least you are thinking outside the box and on the face of it does seem something that should be at least looked in to 

I would think the figures stack up Dean, three heat leaders alone must cost circa 5k per team as a minimum currently...

Another positive to be added would be that EVERY match would have something riding on it rather than the current 'season over' for several teams when the play offs are out of reach..

It will also engender some team spirit I would suggest as it truly would be Performance Related Pay..

Lose and you get your 'basic'. Win and you get double...

I would think that this would focus the attention of the riders to the team score rather than just their own total. With possibly the usual, "Do you think you can still win this?" "I don't know what's the score?"  Interviews becoming more of a rarity..

If they could get the team strengths right then there would also be a good few riders 'on the bench' to bring in both for injuries and loss of form which can only be good to ensure competition for places. (Like other sports)...

Sky paid over a million a season didn't they? The Sport certainly kept that quite when it should have shouted it from the roof tops...

To 'hype up' your business doesn't have to cost thousands, just some inspiration and innovation..

On 7/1/2018 at 4:43 PM, New Science said:

Most speedway clubs still have a match day programme, burger chips , a drink and a club shop 

Ten out of ten for observation but it's hardly on the level of professional football. Premier League football clubs have big superstores selling an enormous range of goods which is hardly comparable with a tatty old track shop.

On 7/1/2018 at 4:51 PM, New Science said:

It would be better as a whole if speedway could have the old bikes back permanently .As a kid I fell in love with the sport for the speed,the atmosphere, the smell and the noise. Sadly only the speed remains. I can't argue with kids now who are not hooked,because the things that hooked me are no longer there.

Time moves on and what got you hooked isn't necessarily going to appealed to kids today. To older fans old bikes are nostalgic but show a kid and old upright bike today and it wouldn't mean a thing to him.

Once owners and promoters realise that the 1980s have gone forever then speedway can move forward.

8 minutes ago, Hot Shoe said:

Time moves on and what got you hooked isn't necessarily going to appealed to kids today. To older fans old bikes are nostalgic but show a kid and old upright bike today and it wouldn't mean a thing to him.

Once owners and promoters realise that the 1980s have gone forever then speedway can move forward.

Time certainly does move on... and, even since the last time I posted on this topic earlier today we have had to say goodbye to another club. The influx of new fans just itching to see the new type of speedway bikes, while the old fogies just wish they could whizz back to the 80s when they actually had someone stood near them at the track to chat with. Doesn't half take it out of you, the long walk to the nearest fan just to ask the time for the last race.

1 minute ago, moxey63 said:

Time certainly does move on... and, even since the last time I posted on this topic earlier today we have had to say goodbye to another club. The influx of new fans just itching to see the new type of speedway bikes, while the old fogies just wish they could whizz back to the 80s when they actually had someone stood near them at the track to chat with. Doesn't half take it out of you, the long walk to the nearest fan just to ask the time for the last race.

If speedway's decline is down to the 'new bikes' then it's amazing that the sport has continued for 25 years since the introduction of the 'new bikes'.

I think you need to look a little deeper to understand why it has declined.

• Like 1